Izaquirre Player of the year (PFA)

since.1902

Cant really argue with that

Was Eremenko for me based on the players nominated performances against Hearts.....

gghfishman

Was Eremenko for me based on the players nominated performances against Hearts.....

Eremenko for me as well canae argue with goodwullie

Come on son,

You can't base the POY on 4 games.

He couldn't win it as he wasn't nominated, but Kayal's been my PoY.

Izaguirre has been the best of the ones that were though.

bighusref

I actually think that Izaguirre is the best player in the league and is a deserved winner. Kayal has done very well, but Izaguirre pips him to the post for me.

Goodwillie, I suppose you cannot really argue with it but he is twenty two and is in his fifth year as a pro at United.

Izaguirre is imo the best player in the division, can't argue with that to be fair.

Templeton completely did him in the 2-1 win. that seems like a lifetime ago :(

heartsfc_fan

Fair enough.

I've always wondered why they don't do this at the end of the season. What's to say Izaquirre scores 3 own goals in his next 3 games and loses Celtic the title and Goodwillie punches a referee or something equally stupid on the pitch :rolleyes:

jamboinglasgow

Well done to John McGlynn getting manager of the year, shame it didn't come with winning the league. Seen him linked with the Killie job, could be a good move for him.

ColinS1874

They both desrved it and Kayal was out for nearly half the season maybe thas why didnt get nominated

Sergio Garcia

The fact Kayal or Kello werent nominated baffles me. Kayal is the best player in the leage. Out of those nominated its the right decision though

Well done to John McGlynn getting manager of the year, shame it didn't come with winning the league. Seen him linked with the Killie job, could be a good move for him.

Raith could finish 3rd in the 1st Division but he is manager of the year :blink:

Boomstick

Templeton completely did him in the 2-1 win. that seems like a lifetime ago :(

When did they score in that game? :ninja:

Come on son,

You can't base the POY on 4 games.

I always wonder exactly how much the voters in the Player's Player award see of the nominees, other than the 3 or 4 games they play against them.

rossthejambo

They were my 2 choices tbh.

Kayal could have competed with him had he been nominated.

was told by an ex Hearts player the PFA award is a total carve up, Players will vote for there mates at other clubs, Celtic players dont vote for Rangers players Hearts players dont vote for Hibbys etc etc, the only real award worth winning is the Football Writers award, the original and oldest award won By Sandy Jardine in 1986 and Craig Gordon in 1996.

The fact there are probably more old firm supporting players going about shows by the way an old firm player will win this award every year. the young player is a different situation as its mostly Scottish kids who are nominated and the old firm dont play so many young players.

Drylaw Hearts

was told by an ex Hearts player the PFA award is a total carve up, Players will vote for there mates at other clubs, Celtic players dont vote for Rangers players Hearts players dont vote for Hibbys etc etc, the only real award worth winning is the Football Writers award, the original and oldest award won By Sandy Jardine in 1986 and Craig Gordon in 1996.

The fact there are probably more old firm supporting players going about shows by the way an old firm player will win this award every year. the young player is a different situation as its mostly Scottish kids who are nominated and the old firm dont play so many young players.

How many mates will Izaguirre have at other clubs ?

He's had a great season and probably deserves it. Now, if he has a right-footed mate we could sign......

How many mates will Izaguirre have at other clubs ?

Not many but there will be hundreds of Celtic fans at other clubs, and to re enforce this , on 606 , robbie savage made exactly the same point with regards to the English PFA awards as well, players vote for mates or a player with there favourite club, check your records to see how many non old firm players have won the main award, it's a worthless pot in my opinion

Drylaw Hearts

Not many but there will be hundreds of Celtic fans at other clubs, and to re enforce this , on 606 , robbie savage made exactly the same point with regards to the English PFA awards as well, players vote for mates or a player with there favourite club, check your records to see how many non old firm players have won the main award, it's a worthless pot in my opinion

OF players usually win the award because they are generally the best players.

I always wonder exactly how much the voters in the Player's Player award see of the nominees, other than the 3 or 4 games they play against them.

If they are true to their profession they should watch as many games as possible on TV. Especially direct opponents.

OF players usually win the award because they are generally the best players.

Yes but not every single year, Eremenko, Craig Gordon or Hartley in 1996 ?

rossthejambo

Eremenko wasn't the best player though. I'm assuming you mean 2006 but picking out 1 year from a large list doesn't prove your theory.

Eremenko wasn't the best player though. I'm assuming you mean 2006 but picking out 1 year from a large list doesn't prove your theory.

I don't need to prove any "theory" I was told it as fact, by an ex proffesional, a point re enforced on national radio by Robbie Savage

Drylaw Hearts

When you look back at the list I think it's difficult argue with many of the winners tbh.

rossthejambo

I don't need to prove any "theory" I was told it as fact, by an ex proffesional, a point re enforced on national radio by Robbie Savage

So it's Robbie Savage and this ex-pro's opinion rather than a fact? Because I'm sure if it was a fact there would have been a lot more said about it.

If they are true to their profession they should watch as many games as possible on TV. Especially direct opponents.

Yeah, I agree they probably should. I'd be interested to know how many actually do.

tartofmidlothian

Good shout, would be very well deserved.

I think if Temps had carried on his mid-season form he would have been a shoe-in for Young Player. Maybe next season...

You're really set on this 1996 thing aren't you? :blink:

garethhmfc1993

Saw a few of the players out in Glasgow last night after the awards I presume, Goodwillie was a total *****. Asked him in a slightly cheeky way, was just having a laugh, 'what happened with the penalty at Tynecastle?' To which he told me, a 17 year old guy, to **** off. Temps on the other hand was more than happy to chat to me and pose for a picture.

Seymour M Hersh

Fair enough.

I've always wondered why they don't do this at the end of the season. What's to say Izaquirre scores 3 own goals in his next 3 games and loses Celtic the title and Goodwillie punches a referee or something equally stupid on the pitch :rolleyes:

Or is alleged to have committed a heinous crime away from football. If he is found guilty what will they do and how will they look?

speedbump

Saw a few of the players out in Glasgow last night after the awards I presume, Goodwillie was a total *****. Asked him in a slightly cheeky way, was just having a laugh, 'what happened with the penalty at Tynecastle?' To which he told me, a 17 year old guy, to **** off. Temps on the other hand was more than happy to chat to me and pose for a picture.

So you were cheeky and expected a straight reply?

garethhmfc1993

So you were cheeky and expected a straight reply?

aye i didn't mean i was being a cheeky wee s****, said it in a friendly tone.

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

So you're 17 but you were in a club of some sort?

Reported.

Drylaw Hearts

Or is alleged to have committed a heinous crime away from football. If he is found guilty what will they do and how will they look?

It won't make a difference imo.

Seen Mr Diouf driving to he awards last night in his Mercedes SLK Mclaren my goodness that is some motor. Priced at ?420,000!!!!! but as I was driving 3 celtic fans in my Hac last night and seen the car they said might be a couple of hundred grand but in Glasgow with all their traffic lights it goes the same speed as a taxi!! Brilliant

Seymour M Hersh

It won't make a difference imo.

If he is found guilty would you not be in favour of stripping the award from him?

Drylaw Hearts

If he is found guilty would you not be in favour of stripping the award from him?

Nope.

If you are old enough to be in a nightclub, you should be man enough to handle a complete stranger telling you to **** off when you attempt to take the piss.

Eremenko for me as well canae argue with goodwullie

Can't say no to him either* :ninja:

* allegedly of course ;)

Archived