Eremenko's dive

TheBigO

Good player. Everyone's jizzing all over the place about him at the moment and maybe rightyly so (although i thought today he often chose the wrong, more difficult, option).

However, his dive in our box was disgusting. Totally disgusting.

Every time I see this, I can't help but feel it's a red card offense. Might seem OTT, but if denying a goal scoring opportunity (even if you give away a penalty - often a better chance of scoring anyway) is a red, then surely trying to gain a scoring opportunity by cheating is as bad a crime? Same outcome if you get away with it, in a way - a goal deficit.

Not sure we can have red cards for diving in the box as it's such a tough decision for the ref - he got it right today and good on him - but doesn't this need looked at?

In the days of TV evidence and retrospective bans for off the ball stuff etc, couldn't we issue yellows in the game and if the ref is proved correct on TV evidence, the yellow is retrospectively increased to a red? That way atleast the threat of a ban hangs over such cheating.

In the days of TV evidence and retrospective bans for off the ball stuff etc, couldn't we issue yellows in the game and if the ref is proved correct on TV evidence, the yellow is retrospectively increased to a red? That way atleast the threat of a ban hangs over such cheating.

That's actually a pretty decent idea.

what annoyed me the most is once he had recieved the yellow card he showed no signs of embarrasment. it pains me to say it but it has become part of the game. And the idea above would definately irradicate the problem :thumbsup:

Coburg Hearts

Which is why it will never see the light of day.

what annoyed me the most is once he had recieved the yellow card he showed no signs of embarrasment. it pains me to say it but it has become part of the game. And the idea above would definately irradicate the problem :thumbsup:

That's bang on. Players do it and just get up and think "ah well, worth the yellow - coulda got us a peno there," and that's totally wrong. I thought the Hearts players showed great restraint not going for him. Just professionalism I suppose, but I'd want to kick his heid in!

My idea above would still have problems ofcourse. You can just imagine the first time it was a Celtic player (as if!), all the outcrying. Something has to be done though.

Gordon Smith, to be fair, as much of a trumpet as he was, seemed to seriously want to tackle it, but if you can't get the refs, SFA suits or clubs onside, what can you do? He also went about it all wrong seeming to suggest it was a foreign problem. The refs will refuse to use controversial rules incase they're the next Dougie McDonald.

I would go much further than that because it is cheating pure and simple. I watched the OF game last week and Stokes did it twice, one he got one he didnt, I would retrospectively hit the club/player with draconian punishments like a long ban for the player, heavy fine or substantial points deduction for the club. This sort of cheating is now woven into football and the authorities need to take control of the game back from the charlatan's.

That's bang on. Players do it and just get up and think "ah well, worth the yellow - coulda got us a peno there," and that's totally wrong. I thought the Hearts players showed great restraint not going for him. Just professionalism I suppose, but I'd want to kick his heid in!

My idea above would still have problems ofcourse. You can just imagine the first time it was a Celtic player (as if!), all the outcrying. Something has to be done though.

Gordon Smith, to be fair, as much of a trumpet as he was, seemed to seriously want to tackle it, but if you can't get the refs, SFA suits or clubs onside, what can you do? He also went about it all wrong seeming to suggest it was a foreign problem. The refs will refuse to use controversial rules incase they're the next Dougie McDonald.

Its not. ITS CHEATING!! Pure and simple. The fact is we all accept it goes on so what chance does the referee have. If the ref asked certain players what day of the week it was they would probably lie.

Its not. ITS CHEATING!! Pure and simple. The fact is we all accept it goes on so what chance does the referee have. If the ref asked certain players what day of the week it was they would probably lie.

Totally Auds - had meant professionalism from our players in not stoving his heid in!

He did no such thing,his pursuit of Robbie Winters helped him out the door,the SFA couldn't back him because he was breaking some certain rules laid down by FIFA/UEFA.

It's just a pity that UEFA didn't back him for the Eduardo dive,they had their chance to stop it there and then but copped out.

He did no such thing,his pursuit of Robbie Winters helped him out the door,the SFA couldn't back him because he was breaking some certain rules laid down by FIFA/UEFA.

It's just a pity that UEFA didn't back him for the Eduardo dive,they had their chance to stop it there and then but copped out.

Of course, kinda forgot about that! Guess what i was getting at was that his most public outbursts on it were Miko and Eduardo while McGeady, Naismith, Lee Miller, Broadfoot, Clarkson and more were very much getting away with it week in week out in Scotland. He was rocking the wrong boats is what I'm saying - look at your own doorstep first and with that, start at the top - SPL clubs and it's in the news and if you're getting it right, noone can complain.

I remember he said at the start of a season (08/09 maybe?) that if a player gets away with a dive but is caught on camera, he'll be dealt with. Same week Broadfoot got away with the most obvious of dives against us - everyone could see it clear as day on TV. Nowt happened. Was a great chance for him to stamp his authority on the issue and he didn't. The bigwigs at the SFA had him by the danders and he was firmly told not to get too radical or rock any of the big boats and that's why he left imo - he felt he couldn't do the job he felt needed done.

Of course, kinda forgot about that! Guess what i was getting at was that his most public outbursts on it were Miko and Eduardo while McGeady, Naismith, Lee Miller, Broadfoot, Clarkson and more were very much getting away with it week in week out in Scotland. He was rocking the wrong boats is what I'm saying - look at your own doorstep first and with that, start at the top - SPL clubs and it's in the news and if you're getting it right, noone can complain.

I remember he said at the start of a season (08/09 maybe?) that if a player gets away with a dive but is caught on camera, he'll be dealt with. Same week Broadfoot got away with the most obvious of dives against us - everyone could see it clear as day on TV. Nowt happened. Was a great chance for him to stamp his authority on the issue and he didn't. The bigwigs at the SFA had him by the danders and he was firmly told not to get too radical or rock any of the big boats and that's why he left imo - he felt he couldn't do the job he felt needed done.

Thats the thing,he wanted,and probably some more of the SFA,backing from UEFA but they wouldn't,IIRC he/they couldn't implement such a ruling without UEFA's say so.

TBH I kind of like Smith,he was willing to change but didn't receive the backing from some in this country and from UEFA,that would really have opened a can of worms,imagine in Italy or Spain players getting red carded after the game for diving.

scott_jambo

What am I missing here?

Player takes a shan dive. Said player is correctly booked for shan dive.

Surely we can all move on from this.

What am I missing here?

Player takes a shan dive. Said player is correctly booked for shan dive.

Surely we can all move on from this.

Oh yer no just missing stuff here Scott. I've read other threads, chief!

Na, Eremenko's dive only got me thinking is all. More a thread to say I think a dive looking for a penalty is as "professional" an offense as a professional foul, as it was called. I think similar punishements are fitting.

scott_jambo

Oh yer no just missing stuff here Scott. I've read other threads, chief!

Na, Eremenko's dive only got me thinking is all. More a thread to say I think a dive looking for a penalty is as "professional" an offense as a professional foul, as it was called. I think similar punishements are fitting.

You should post more, IBH. Not seen you about in a while.

I agree diving is a frustrating thing in the modern game, but for me the punishment is about right for diving - the problem is that it is not regularly enough enforced. Rarely do you ever see someone booked for diving, especially if they are already on a yellow card.

You should post more, IBH. Not seen you about in a while.

I agree diving is a frustrating thing in the modern game, but for me the punishment is about right for diving - the problem is that it is not regularly enough enforced. Rarely do you ever see someone booked for diving, especially if they are already on a yellow card.

I should yes - I'm a breath of fresh air. I was home for quite a bit this season, so had my Jambo fill sans tinternet and also the 6 month old nipper takes up a bit of my time these days!!!

You're right re the diving. Does my chuff when a ref doesn't give the foul, waves the player up but no booking!

Archived