Last 9 games

Gambo

In our last 9 games , all v non old firm opposition, we have won only once.

That is a shocking record for Heart of Midlothian FC no matter if we are 1st, 3rd or last in the league.

I expect Heart of Midlothian FC to beat all non old firm teams all the time, a draw v these teams is 2points dropped imo.

Forget the 'knee jerk' crap as the kness have been jerking for many a week now.

Serious backsides need booted and fingers pulled out as the season lasts from Aug-May, not Oct-Jan. (yes i know the league also lasts longer than the last 9 games)

Not good enough JJ

That is a shocking record for Heart of Midlothian FC no matter if we are 1st, 3rd or last in the league.

I expect Heart of Midlothian FC to beat all non old firm teams all the time, a draw v these teams is 2points dropped imo.

Serious backsides need booted and fingers pulled out as the season lasts from Aug-May, not Oct-Jan. (yes i know the league also lasts longer than the last 9 games)

Not good enough JJ

I agree,, but will also look to the injury's we have had to put up with. That has not helped

Roll on end of the season.

the team deserve credit for coming back from behind so often. we are continually handicapped by missing players and an unsettled line-up. we have players playing out of position and even on the wrong side of the park at times and others have played through injuries.

as far as i can see they are showing big baws to keep grinding out decent results. just don't understand all the misplaced fury.

maroonlegions

Not good enough JJ

While we have no divine right to beat teams outside the OF all the time, it is frustrating to think that we could have had third wrapped up long ago, is in not for a want of trying by some players at Hearts??, subs, tactics or is it that JJ has stated that most teams outside the OF will and do raise their games against us;We have been in this position before i recall when we have need to grind out points to get in to Europe;We will get there but i do feel we need a wee clear oot and some better quality in certain areas next season;We always do it the hard way, thats Hearts, not saying its right or expectable but i am sure the players will be feeling a bit peshed off we have not sealed third too; :geek:

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Good teams get stronger as the season gets to a close, we have been getting steadily worse as a team.

If we had some sort of style of play then injuries would not be as big a problem as they are.

Would also love to know what JJ does with the players during the week, we are a team full of individuals who struggle to put 2 passes together.

JJ's greatest weapon of standing on the touchline, swearing with steam coming out of his ears doesn't seem to work anymore.

Onwards and upwards.

Seymour M Hersh

Not good enough JJ

While I'm not anti JJ as you appear, you do make some pertinent points. I believe our manager gave up the ghost in January which I find unforgivable. This attitude (imo) spread through the squad. We should have been confirmed third before the split - we didn't. We should have continued to press the infirm - we didn't. If we blow third (and I don't believe we will) then I'd have to question JJ's continuation as manager.

kennyblack'sshot

Serious backsides need booted and fingers pulled out as the season lasts from Aug-May, not Oct-Jan]. (yes i know the league also lasts longer than the last 9 games)

Not good enough JJ

Bloody hell.

We've been without three of the best players in their positions in the league - Kyle, Driver and Wallace for large parts of the season. Driver and Wallace are also two of the best players in Scotland full stop.

On top of that we've missed other important players for long spells - Johnsson, Zali and Kello.

On top of that players like Skacel, Suso and Elliott have been either missing injured or playing when not fully fit.

On top of that squad players like Obua and Elliot have been out for long periods.

I challenge any team to lose this many important players for such long periods with no impact on the consistency of performances. Eg, take Davis, Brougherra and Naismith away from Rangers this season, or Inzguarre, Hooper and Kayal from Celtic.

And yet JJ still has us in pole position for third. And by the way for newer (post 2005) fans - challenging for 3rd and 4th is the norm for Hearts - not challenging for 2nd.

I don't often agree with Pat Nevin but he was dead on on Sportscene last week when he said he expected JJ's team to come into its own next season.

Not good enough JJ

We're third in the league and been unlucky with injuries so please dont.

CavySlaveJambo

Another issue is after the two defeats in Glasgow, and being 20 odd points ahead of Kilmarnock. HOW do you maintain the motivation? More importantly how do you regain the motivation and concentration when it is needed?

If someone had tried to keep us in the title race, more importantly if JJ, BB and Lockey had tried to fight for the title this lapse may not have happened. Also know one could have known Dundee Utd would win almost all their games in hand.

For months there has been NOTHING to play for. And now we need to play for something it is hard to get going again.

Our home record in particular has been pretty poor this season, from the first two games when we drew with St Johnstone and Dundee Utd as well as losing twice to Killie conceding 5 scoring heehaw and many other lost points, 3 games against Motherwell at Tynie, no wins.It's just aswell we've done pretty well away from home, we could've easily been in the bottom 6 wif di Hubs. Thing that's annoying most is that Kyle's injury started in January, when the transfer window was still open yet Hearts do their usual... nowt! Even getting 1 or 2 in on loan 'til the end of the season, other clubs do and usually pays off for them. Had they done that then 3rd would've been sown up weeks ago, if we do end up losing 3rd then the coaching/managing department can blame themselves for not preparing for it.

shaun.lawson

Please explain when this has ever happened in our entire history? How can you 'expect' something that has never happened before?

This isn't 1958, Gambo. It's 2011. No non-OP side ever keeps it going for a whole season; and most sides who end up 3rd suffer a dip over the final phase of the season. As long as we end up 3rd, that's this season's target achieved - meaning congratulations will be in order to the team, management and owner. :thumbsup:

Please explain when this has ever happened in our entire history? How can you 'expect' something that has never happened before?

This isn't 1958, Gambo. It's 2011. No non-OP side ever keeps it going for a whole season; and most sides who end up 3rd suffer a dip over the final phase of the season. As long as we end up 3rd, that's this season's target achieved - meaning congratulations will be in order to the team, management and owner. :thumbsup:

3rd is great. Winning only once in nine games v non old firm games is not great. Or do you think that 1 win in these last nine games is good enough?

kennyblack'sshot

Our home record in particular has been pretty poor this season, from the first two games when we drew with St Johnstone and Dundee Utd as well as losing twice to Killie conceding 5 scoring heehaw and many other lost points, 3 games against Motherwell at Tynie, no wins.It's just aswell we've done pretty well away from home, we could've easily been in the bottom 6 wif di Hubs. Thing that's annoying most is that Kyle's injury started in January, when the transfer window was still open yet Hearts do their usual... nowt! Even getting 1 or 2 in on loan 'til the end of the season, other clubs do and usually pays off for them. Had they done that then 3rd would've been sown up weeks ago, if we do end up losing 3rd then the coaching/managing department can blame themselves for not preparing for it.

If you're going to play the "ifs and buts" game I can just as easily say that we were unlucky to draw the St J and D Utd games and if we hadn't third would now be sown up. The early Rangers game at Tynie was also a very unlucky loss. I could also say that if Kyle, Driver and Wallace hadn't been injured, we could have challenged the OF for longer.

There are a few games this season we've escaped with a lucky win, eg Killie away when Elliott scored twice, but I can think of more games this season when we really deserved the win or draw - even with an under-strength team - but lost or got a draw. We've lost late goals a few times and have only been utterly outplayed 2 or maybe 3 times over the whole season. In general we have been a very hard team to beat this season.

I suppose it's how you prefer to look at things - some people seem to actually enjoy focusing on the negatives.

Drylaw Hearts

Anyone who bothers going to the matches can see it's the players who have given up and not the management.

Hibs match apart......they haven't kicked a ball until the 2nd half of matches.

The players need to take a long hard look at themselves imo.

kennyblack'sshot

3rd is great. Winning only once in nine games v non old firm games is not great. Or do you think that 1 win in these last nine games is good enough?

You are ignoring our amazing run before that - one of the best runs in the SPL ever by any team (I think that was how the media were telling it at the time anyhow).

Why not focus on the 10 wins and one draw in 11 games than one win in 9 games against non-OF teams? That was one of the best runs I've ever seen Hearts go on.

Or at least why not say we had only 2 defeats in 9 games instead of 1 win? This is what I mean about some people who seem to want to focus on the negatives for the sake of it.

IMO the only criticism people can have of Hearts this season, taking into account all our injuries that stalled the league challenge, is the terrible cup performances. That's the area I want to see fixed.

shaun.lawson

Last season, 3rd placed Dundee United took 1 point from their last 4 games.

The season before that, 3rd placed Hearts took 10 points from our last 10 games.

The season before that, 3rd placed Motherwell took 8 points from their last 7 games; 16 points from their last 14 games.

In other words, the run we're on is essentially normal for a team about to wrap up 3rd; normal in the age of the split. If the players are going through the motions a bit, that's because they know 3rd is already tied up - and they're 99% certain to be vindicated in that.

Last season, 3rd placed Dundee United took 1 point from their last 4 games.

The season before that, 3rd placed Hearts took 10 points from our last 10 games.

The season before that, 3rd placed Motherwell took 8 points from their last 7 games; 16 points from their last 14 games.

In other words, the run we're on is essentially normal for a team about to wrap up 3rd; normal in the age of the split. If the players are going through the motions a bit, that's because they know 3rd is already tied up - and they're 99% certain to be vindicated in that.

Who the fek are interested in what Utd or M'well hsve done in seasons past? What has that got to do with us only winning only once in the last nine v non old firm games.

You may enjoy how having an interest in how other teams do, me, i only look out for the one team, Heart of Midlothian Fc.

You are ignoring our amazing run before that - one of the best runs in the SPL ever by any team (I think that was how the media were telling it at the time anyhow).

Why not focus on the 10 wins and one draw in 11 games than one win in 9 games against non-OF teams? That was one of the best runs I've ever seen Hearts go on.

Or at least why not say we had only 2 defeats in 9 games instead of 1 win? This is what I mean about some people who seem to want to focus on the negatives for the sake of it.

IMO the only criticism people can have of Hearts this season, taking into account all our injuries that stalled the league challenge, is the terrible cup performances. That's the area I want to see fixed.

Negatives, Positives, it really doesn't matter, it all adds up to the same thing. What's the point in JKB if we can't debate the good and bad in equal measure? You're right about the Cups though, our record in the last 5 years is disgraceful! It's a Cup tie, other, smaller clubs get drawn against Hearts and they're up for it, you'll have seen the same as the rest of us that it's a one-off game, they want to knock us out, quite rightly, my impression is that our players just go out and expect to beat them, Cups don't work like that, unfortunately from our point of view.

shaun.lawson

Who the fek are interested in what Utd or M'well hsve done in seasons past? What has that got to do with us only winning only once in the last nine v non old firm games.

You may enjoy how having an interest in how other teams do, me, i only look out for the one team, Heart of Midlothian Fc.

It has everything to do with expectations, Gambo. Yours - as evidenced again and again on here - are too high.

And no, that doesn't mean I "expect" to win only one from nine. But runs like this happen. A season is judged over 38 games, not nine; and over the 35 so far, we've done fine. :thumbsup:

Anyone who bothers going to the matches can see it's the players who have given up and not the management.

Hibs match apart......they haven't kicked a ball until the 2nd half of matches.

The players need to take a long hard look at themselves imo.

I agree DH the players must have a long look at themselves, but imo our downturn co-incided with JJ talking his team down, &starting to tell us how he wanted others (Hibs & Killie) to do well.

Drylaw Hearts

I agree DH the players must have a long look at themselves, but imo our downturn co-incided with JJ talking his team down, &starting to tell us how he wanted others (Hibs & Killie) to do well.

Our downturn coincided with the loss of Kevin Kyle.

We needed a ready made replacement - not another Lithuanian no-mark.

It has everything to do with expectations, Gambo. Yours - as evidenced again and again on here - are too high.

And no, that doesn't mean I "expect" to win only one from nine. But runs like this happen. A season is judged over 38 games, not nine; and over the 35 so far, we've done fine. :thumbsup:

As the third biggest team in the country, i think i have every right to be disappointed when we dont beat non old firm teams. I know we wont win them all but we should be winning a hell of a lot more than we do, no matter what other teams have achieved in the past.

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Our downturn coincided with the loss of Kevin Kyle.

We needed a ready made replacement - not another Lithuanian no-mark.

Kevin Kyle isn't the reason we've suddenly been playing poorly. He's a small part of it, but not the entire reason and his loss is totally exaggerated on here.

I'm pleased we are in pole position to get 3rd, especially taking into account last season's performance.

However, 3rd place, as JJ has stated many times, is the minimum expectation for a team with a wage budget 3 times higher than the other teams you are competing against.

We have merely reached expectations in the league, something many previous Hearts teams have failed to do however.

shaun.lawson

I'm pleased we are in pole position to get 3rd, especially taking into account last season's performance.

However, 3rd place, as JJ has stated many times, is the minimum expectation for a team with a wage budget 3 times higher than the other teams you are competing against.

We have merely reached expectations in the league, something many previous Hearts teams have failed to do however.

Ah yes, what I call the "Hearts curse". Because you're right - but the problem is that exceeding expectations (finishing higher than 3rd) is awesomely difficult, no matter our budgetary advantage over the rest.

That we've moved from 6th last season to 3rd this is cause for celebration, assuming 3rd is confirmed. But improving upon it is what will then be expected - and that proves beyond manager after manager, team after team. Meaning next season, it'll surely all be about the Cups.

Drylaw Hearts

Kevin Kyle isn't the reason we've suddenly been playing poorly. He's a small part of it, but not the entire reason and his loss is totally exaggerated on here.

Of course it's the reason.

The team have completely lost it's shape and Skacel, Temps and Elliott have all suffered because he's been missing.

kingantti1874

Everyone a the club was making noises about 3rd being job done.. We switched off months ago- farce really

I was derided on this forum for saying that third was achievable and that Jefferies should be getting us there. I was told then that I had unreasonable ambitions for this team. Whilst it is now evident that I was correct, I still maintain my pre-season stance. It is up to Jefferies to get us there. If he does, I'll overlook the poor form of the last few months, as others have stated, let's judge him over a season.

Taking us from that horrible team that Laszlo built to where we are now is the right step forward. Next season, we cannot be doing this.

Oh, and to the dude saying Driver is one of the best players in the league. Aye? Seriously?

kennyblack'sshot

Everyone a the club was making noises about 3rd being job done.. We switched off months ago- farce really

No it wasn't. The media asked them if they thought 3rd place was secure and they always said no from what I remember. JJ kept saying he wanted to secure third and would only then relax and blood some youngsters, etc. Players were asked if they thought being so far ahead made them switch off and they would say it could be a factor mentally but no-one ever said it was job done.

Oh, and to the dude saying Driver is one of the best players in the league. Aye? Seriously?

I think that was me. Yes I think he is a player every team in the SPL including the OF would love to have (obviously not the way he's playing right now though!).

Not on this season's form, agreed. But if you manage to get called up to the England U21 squad on the basis of your performances for an unfashionable (ie non-OF) SPL side, you must be doing something right.

The team have completely lost it's shape and Skacel, Temps and Elliott have all suffered because he's been missing.

Discipline, a few key players going off form (Templeton for one) and a lack of a settled and effective central midfield are far more prominent reasons for why we've not been playing that well lately.

Kyle's absence is a reason as well, but not as influential as the ones above. You're fooling yourself if you think we'd have magically started playing well if he'd been around. We'd have played better no doubt, but not to the point where he's the key reason.

There were even plenty of games before he got injured where he'd been starting and the whole team didn't perform that well - how do you explain those if Kyle is the key figure?

People need to stop exaggerating his importance.

I think that was me. Yes I think he is a player every team in the SPL including the OF would love to have (obviously not the way he's playing right now though!).

Not on this season's form, agreed. But if you manage to get called up to the England U21 squad on the basis of your performances for an unfashionable (ie non-OF) SPL side, you must be doing something right.

Other than fleeting glances a few years ago, I don't think he has ever demonstrated enough consistently to be lauded as "one of the best players in the league". The lad has potential and could be a good player, but I think it is a bit early to say he is one of the best players in the league.

Jambof3tornado

I am sorry to disagree but the loss of Kyle and the failure to bring in a similar player has cost us dearly. We should have 3rd well wrapped up by now and be enjoying some of the young lads getting game time.

Jambof3tornado

Kyle allowed the players mentioned to flourish and their game have suffered by his loss.

williamgerrard

Heres something ive been thinking about andas time passes its looking possible jog your memory back a month ago players not being paid for win bonuses are we seriously that bad or is it more the fact the players still havent been paid and are making sure we dont win games but not losing the well game comes to mind then today

Morgaro Gomis

Heres something ive been thinking about andas time passes its looking possible jog your memory back a month ago players not being paid for win bonuses are we seriously that bad or is it more the fact the players still havent been paid and are making sure we dont win games but not losing the well game comes to mind then today

:facepalm:

Not good enough JJ

2 losses against non Old Firm teams in the last 22 league matches. JJ is doing a great job and we should be praying no one offers him a job at a bigger club next season.

Funny how stats can be changed so quickly. :whistling:

I am sorry to disagree but the loss of Kyle and the failure to bring in a similar player has cost us dearly. We should have 3rd well wrapped up by now and be enjoying some of the young lads getting game time.

But that's the thing though - did we really need a similar player? One of the reasons KK fitted in so well was because JJ played tactics to suit his play, ie lumping it up top and letting him win knock-downs for Skacel, Temps and Suso.

Once he got injured, JJ persisted with that tactic, trying Stevenson, Elliott (ffs) and Obua in the KK role when a slight change in approach would have seen us playing better football and not losing form so suddenly and rapidly. JJ's tactical naivety is as much to blame.

Elliott is by far a superior footballer to Kyle but he can't win the high balls that Kyle can, though he does a decent enough job in the circumstances and he should be commended. Playing to suit Elliott rather than a non-existent target man would have helped us out.

Drylaw Hearts

Here's a suggestion.......

Stop thinking.

It's for the best.

Boaby Ewing

I don't think JJ should consider his jacket to be on a shoogly peg, but I do agree with Gambo (and Ultraviolet) that we've underperformed and it's not just because we're missing Kyle.

I also don't get why everyone still thinks we've got third wrapped up.

It doesn't take a huge leap of imagination (or an overly pessimistic personality) to see us picking up no more points until we come to face Dundee United on the last game of the season. While I can see them picking up six from their next run of games. On current form they're more likely to take points off the OF than we are.

That would still leave them needing to beat us... ach, maybe I am being too pessimistic, but I'm fecked off that we even need to be worrying slightly.

Archived