Hearts 6 - 0 Huntly Scottish Cup 1993

Silvery_Moon

Silvery_Moon

Not exactly the most memorable of matches but I like to provide something different now and again.

This 3rd Round Scottish Cup tie at Tynecastle saw us comfortably dispose of Highland League outfit Huntly FC.

This game contained a few collectors items:

1. Robbo's 200th Hearts goal (please feel free to correct me on this as I'm basing this on my 1993 memory. I'm pretty sure it was a goal of that significance though).

2. A Derek Ferguson goal.

3. Two goals from a certain Mr Adrian Boothroyd.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJnn67_jufs

Silvery_Moon

Thanks.

Was that the year we played Dundee then Falkirk?

Yes - winning both 2-0 then losing the semi final 2-1 to Rangers after Allan Preston had put us ahead!

Benny Factor

A Huntly fan asked me to swap scarves with him after the game.... Still have it kicking about somewhere. Bizarre.

Unbelievable!! At the exact same time (23.09) this thread was posted, a picture of Huntly's ground was posted on the "where is this" thread.

Coincidence? :ninja:

Funny how the mind plays tricks.

I had remembered the second Boothroyd goal as a Templeton style mazy.

Not a slow shuffle round a pensionable Doug Rougvie :lol:

I remember that our league form was so poor that the media were suggesting an upset might be on the cards. Not so much...

oh ah grantona

I got in a taxi in Aberdeen and the driver claims to have played for huntly in the game said Joe Jordan fancied him a bit as a player until there gaffer told him he was 37

Not a bad little cup run. Was dreaming of glory when we took the lead against Rangers in the semi final.

mahgrassyshoes

I was about 7 at the time and if you asked me I would have told you I had seen the highlights on the telly before the game was played. It was weird.

Walking round russell road after the game a few of their fans started shouting that at least aberdeen had fu**ed us. They were referring to a 6-2 loss we'd recently had to them. We told them where to go in no uncertain terms. No niceties.

big disco dave scored against us in that semi final. :vrface:

at least he reversed it all in the '98 final, and at the same venue as well.

Remember that semi-final well!! The weeg polis penned us into a part of the Parkheed terrace that had been fenced off. Throughout the whole first half folk were getting crushed, including the Strathie polis but they still refused to open the gate into the empty section, well... except from the pipeband who had a whole part of the terracing to themselves! Took 'til halftime for the thicko plods to realise that everyone was getting crushed and they eventually had to open the fence up. Thick gits!

Was there as an 8 year old.

Sure it was a glanced diving header from that helmet Preston that put us ahead?

Silvery_Moon

Unbelievable!! At the exact same time (23.09) this thread was posted, a picture of Huntly's ground was posted on the "where is this" thread.

Coincidence? :ninja:

Definitely a coincidence from my side - spooky admittedly.

Remember that semi-final well!! The weeg polis penned us into a part of the Parkheed terrace that had been fenced off. Throughout the whole first half folk were getting crushed, including the Strathie polis but they still refused to open the gate into the empty section, well... except from the pipeband who had a whole part of the terracing to themselves! Took 'til halftime for the thicko plods to realise that everyone was getting crushed and they eventually had to open the fence up. Thick gits!

Spot on mate thought there was going to be a really bad crush that day .

That was my memory of the afternoon. The Police trying to argue they couldnt open the empty section as it was reserved for the Pipe Band. I thought it was after Preston's goal that the police eventually allowed some fans in to the empty section. I remember being 5 steps forward after Hearts goal and i was still standing next to the same people, made you wonder what happened to people at the very front.

Walking round russell road after the game a few of their fans started shouting that at least aberdeen had fu**ed us. They were referring to a 6-2 loss we'd recently had to them. We told them where to go in no uncertain terms. No niceties.

I was at that game, sadly - though if memory serves, Hearts won on the other two or three occasions I went to Pittodrie.

Weirdest game I ever saw. Aberdeen went 2-0 up, Hearts pulled back to 2-2, we looked more likely to win. Then suddenly everything Aberdeen tried started to come off. I left at 5-2, missed the last goal.

Archived