The Real SPL

westcoastdon

westcoastdon

Hi

The Real SPL started as an idea a week ago on an Aberdeen supporters football forum. It is, however, for all of Scotland's football fans and we have had great support so far from fans all over Scotland. We ran a poll over the first two days and got 1,200 responses and a 95% approval for what we have started.

It can be found here:

http://www.therealspl.com

We would like to do many things but in a nutshell we want to make a positive impact and increase the excitement in football in Scotland. We want, for example, to have more meaningful games in a season through our virtual league idea. The aim is to increase the level of interest in games, the number of people going to games and ultimately the revenue going into our teams.

Please have a look and support us...

This is fans led initiative and we want to show that we can have a positive impact on football in Scotland.

westcoastdon

Is there more to it than just ignoring results against the Uglies?

We will be doing a number of things between now, the start of the new season and beyond. The virtual league is just one of them.

If it increases interest, entertainment and revenue for all our clubs then we think its a good thing.

Its for all the fans so if you have any ideas then please email them through.

Gregory House M.D.

Nick Clegg is that you? This idea is just about as bad as AV.

Era Macaroons

Hi

The Real SPL started as an idea a week ago on an Aberdeen supporters football forum. It is, however, for all of Scotland's football fans and we have had great support so far from fans all over Scotland. We ran a poll over the first two days and got 1,200 responses and a 95% approval for what we have started.

It can be found here:

We would like to do many things but in a nutshell we want to make a positive impact and increase the excitement in football in Scotland. We want, for example, to have more meaningful games in a season through our virtual league idea. The aim is to increase the level of interest in games, the number of people going to games and ultimately the revenue going into our teams.

This is fans led initiative and we want to show that we can have a positive impact on football in Scotland.

get yersell to Tynecastle then.:thumbsup:

you should get in touch wi the Third Lanark guy

Its not a bad idea.. People are on the internet now so trying to make the pish on the park more bareable by increasing interest in any way should be looked into..

I dont think it will take off really but its worth having more ideas throw around..

Hi

It can be found here:

Whatever floats your boat, and I'm sure it's well intentioned...but, I fail to see how this initial idea will have any effect on revenues. I guess it may have some positive impact on people excited enough to care about a meaningless table on t'interweb.

As I say, don't want to criticise people for getting enthusiastic about anything to do with Scottish football...but the first proposal is centred around a pile of pointless pish.

Napoleon  Wilson

Hi

It can be found here:

Well done for trying to do something positive and a bit different for us non-old firm fans :thumbsup:

craigie jambo

Good idea but what do we win? :woot:

They actually aim to get a trophy of some some sort

:)

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Qudos for trying something new and I really want to see the point...but can't :(

Guest juvehearts

what do you think this will actually achieve?

all it is is a pish forum with a virtual league that doesnt mean tosh.

so for me im out

juve

westcoastdon

so for me im out

juve

If it increases interest in the games and gets more people going to them and more revenue into the clubs - surely this is a good thing?

Perhaps it will achieve this... perhaps it wont but we are not harming anyone. It's easy to criticize.

We are looking to do other things moving forward and the league is just the first idea.

The Treasurer

I would imagine that this type of thing will appeal to the same pasty faced geeks who think Football Manager (or whatever it's called) is real and have never ventured out of their room long enough to actually attend a real match

portobellojambo1

I really don't understand the concept behind this. Football, i.e. real football, will continue to played as is, within the real SPL (with or without the OF),

But from reading the link to the site on the internet a virtual league will be drawn up which will show club positions based on their results, excluding fixtures against the OF. This virtual league, it appears, is expected to get football fans more interested in attending actual SPL games in some way, despite the fact that in real life the OF will be there and points won and lost against them have to be taken into account.

Maybe I'm missing something somewhere, but for the love of me I cannot work out what. For example, If HMFC finish top of the virtual league have UEFA confirmed if we will get a Champions League place and the actual winners of the proper SPL will be overlooked.

Surely, in real terms, it is just an on-line game of sorts.

Fourcandles

Qudos for trying something new and I really want to see the point...but can't :(

What he sed................. :mellow:

jambo_til_i_die

Really, really bad idea. It wont excite, and even more so will be even boring for the OF fans who are already bored at lack of competition. At least your thinking about it but going that far with a bad idea is just a waste of your good time. :down:

What we need first and foremost is for ticket sales to come down and more sociable hours. I wouldnt mind keeping the split until clubs are in a more financial secure state and can bring in better quality, but that must be a 14 team league IMO and once stable change to 16, playing one another twice.

Also would 2pts for a win not make the league look more tight? We would only be 11 point behind Celtic right now. Hamilton would only be 5pts behind St.Mirren.

I'm sure it's UEFA that control that is it not?

westcoastdon

Really, really bad idea. It wont excite, and even more so will be even boring for the OF fans who are already bored at lack of competition. At least your thinking about it but going that far with a bad idea is just a waste of your good time. :down:

What we need first and foremost is for ticket sales to come down and more sociable hours. I wouldnt mind keeping the split until clubs are in a more financial secure state and can bring in better quality, but that must be a 14 team league IMO and once stable change to 16, playing one another twice.

Also would 2pts for a win not make the league look more tight? We would only be 11 point behind Celtic right now. Hamilton would only be 5pts behind St.Mirren.

I'm sure it's UEFA that control that is it not?

Thanks for your comments...

As we say on the site: "We will be doing many things to increase interest and excitement in Scottish Football."

Many people will agree with you that its a bad idea... one thing you will not get it agreement between all fans on anything. Other's will agree that its at least a start.

http://aberdeenvoice.com/2011/04/the-real-spl-where-all-clubs-are-equal/

"We will be doing many things to increase interest and excitement in Scottish Football."

so what are these other things because at the moment it's pretty much a waste of time and just a computer game of sorts.

Can we qualify for Uuooorope? :teehee:

If we win this pretend league we get automatic qualification straight through to the group stages of the pretend Champions League and the millions of pretend pounds that lie in wait :thumb:

Cannae wait.

westcoastdon

"We will be doing many things to increase interest and excitement in Scottish Football."

so what are these other things because at the moment it's pretty much a waste of time and just a computer game of sorts.

we have had many suggestions but we want to take our time between now and the start of the new season before announcing a bunch of stuff. No matter what we announce there will be those against it but we want to take a large proportion of the fans with us. This is for the fans by the fans.

the league idea may evolve from now until the new season based on some constructive feedback we have received so far... so its a work in progress. Unlike some other leagues I could mention we will take on board fans views ;)

If you have any ideas, email us and join us on Facebook to get kept up to date!

The Treasurer

In fairness he is a sheep fan so he has to try to do something to deflect from the harsh reality of how pish his wee team is

speedbump

Hold on while I tug myself into a frenzy over winning the virtual league, do one dolly eh!

Vlad-Stupid

Pretty sure the teams that take points from the OF games in real life will be a bit miffed about it counting for nowt in the virtual world. This sounds like only wee teams that get gubbed by the OF would be remotely interested :smuggy:

In any case, surely there will be pretty much no difference in the way the real league looked minus the top 2?

so for me im out

juve

Yip, It's as believable as your WWE juve :lol:

"Am the wan in the middle wa the Union Jack Flag" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, on topic, fare idea......waste of time though!

Guest juvehearts

Yip, It's as believable as your WWE juve :lol:

"Am the wan in the middle wa the Union Jack Flag" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, on topic, fare idea......waste of time though!

Excuse me for being proud to be British

juve

Cut The Crap

I found it hard to believe no one was already doing this. Of course, someone already is (the key difference being that these people also have some content):

http://www.nomoreoldfirm.somee.com/alterscot/theStory/alternativeSPL.asp

As a matter of interest, if Hearts were to win The Real SPL three times in a row, would we also be excluded?

bishop1874

Anything that looks to drive more interest in Scottish Football is a good idea although im not a fan of the virtual league. IMO the best way to do a "Real SPL" would be to look for chosen fans of each team in the SPL to contribute to the site eg match reports, news etc as well as there views on various talking points. I think interest in a lot of SPL teams suffers due to minimal press coverage and the internet is fast becoming an alternative to newspapers so definetly an area to look at to drive interest. If you could get interviews with players and soccer am style banter I think a site like that could be very worthwhile.

Archived