A request for Help - Community Project

KK'sTooth

Hi folks,

Thought I would ask fellow Hearts officionados about a request I've had. I work for a community project in Edinburgh and we have had a reqyest from a John O'Hara to come and run some "Govt Approved" free football sessions for children and young people.

He claims to have played for Hearts, but I have never heard of him. I've checked online and can find no mention of anyone of that name...apart from a chap that played for the JT's in 1908-1909 and I'm pretty sure it's no him...although that would be hilarious.

Clearly this is something I'm not going to take a risk on, but thought I would ask anyway.

Cheers folks.

alwaysthereinspirit

There was a John O'Hare played for I think Derby and Scotland in the early 70's.

stirlingshirejambo

Hi folks,

Thought I would ask fellow Hearts officionados about a request I've had. I work for a community project in Edinburgh and we have had a reqyest from a John O'Hara to come and run some "Govt Approved" free football sessions for children and young people.

He claims to have played for Hearts, but I have never heard of him. I've checked online and can find no mention of anyone of that name...apart from a chap that played for the JT's in 1908-1909 and I'm pretty sure it's no him...although that would be hilarious.

Clearly this is something I'm not going to take a risk on, but thought I would ask anyway.

Cheers folks.

With all due respect someone who you know little about I would be far more concerned re his disclosure to work with kids than what football team he may have played for.

If he was on the books and perhaps played for youth team he may wish to embelish it and say he played for Hearts.

Get him in for a chat rather than researching online

With all due respect someone who you know little about I would be far more concerned re his disclosure to work with kids than what football team he may have played for.

If he was on the books and perhaps played for youth team he may wish to embelish it and say he played for Hearts.

Get him in for a chat rather than researching online

Good point, I use to know someone who said he was a DJ - he was but for Radio Forth at around 3am weekend mornings.

Hi folks,

Cheers folks.

You should contact Alan "chalky" White, Hearts Community Manager. He will be aware of what "approved schemes" there are out there, and which of these Hearts are involved with.

That way the information you get will be reliable and accurate, as you're dealing directly with the Club and their employees / representatives. This also gives you the piece of mind that you are dealing with professionals with the appropriate disclosures, training, and if necessary, insurance cover.

I certainly would not trust some random bloke, who cold calls you, says that he's "government approved", claims he once played for Hearts, and wants access to children and young people. :unsure:

scott herbertson

Hi folks,

Cheers folks.

I have my doubts when people flog me the line that a scheme is 'government approved'. In my experience that usually means it is a franchise which has been piloted somewhere.

If it is a cold call I would always ask for references.

I deal with a lot of requests for organisations to go into schools (arts, sports etc). They are all genuine, but you should be aware that most are self employed business people, and don't accept 'governemnet approved' as being the same as his company being endorsed by the government to deliver that scheme. There is no such thing as free provision - someone is paying. If it is the government it will be clear from his documentation, but I doubt if it is, as the government usually deals in large contracts with organisations.

I agree with the advice about getting him in to talk, plus get a couple of references and follow them up. Also worth asking himn to do a supervised session so you can judge the quality for yourslef.

Lastly I would make absolutely sure who is going to deliver the sessions. We have had some very reputable organisations (professional football clubs included) who have started schemes with high quality staff but by the end have been sending in their trainees to take the sessions.

Era Macaroons

Hi folks,

Cheers folks.

MODS merge withthe Real SPL Help thread, cheers :rolleyes:

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Archived