Wireless USB Adaptor

jvm32

I've just moved my PC and I'm no longer able to plug it directly in to the modem, so I'm looking to get a Wireless USB Adaptor and just connect wirelessly, does anyone use one or able to recommend one?

Cheers

I use a belkin one. worked for a coupke of years now. remember you need to buy a wireless modem as well I'd you don't already have one. if recommend a linksys.

PsychocAndy

I'm with Virgin Media, as a client not a worker, and you get a wireless thing from them at no extra cost, or it was when I got it. Does your internet provider do that because I thought most of them do.

I'm with Virgin Media, as a client not a worker, and you get a wireless thing from them at no extra cost, or it was when I got it. Does your internet provider do that because I thought most of them do.

It's Virgin I'm with as well, didn't realise they provided you one with free though. I will need to get on to them, cheers.

It's Virgin I'm with as well, didn't realise they provided you one with free though. I will need to get on to them, cheers.

I don't know about Virgin, they may or may not provide a free router, but I don't think they would provide you something for at your PC end. How old is your PC? I take it from this thread that it doesn't have wireless capability built in?

Yeh, they provided me with a router, when the above post mentioned a 'wireless thing' I assumed he meant the dongle, but could be wrong.

My PC is about 5 years old, but no built in wirless receiver. Rather than go down the route of fitting one I thought I would give the USB adaptor a bash. To be honest I probably wont even use it that much, as I have a netbook and use that mainly for browsing the web, but just thought I might as well buy an adaptor to give the PC web access should I ever need it.

Do you already use the netbook wirelessly? If so then you must already have a wireless router in which case move onto step 2 of my 'How to' guide. :rolleyes:

1. The router you got from them needs to be replaced by one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Compact-Wireless-G-Broadband-WRT54GC/dp/B000A0GRAC/ref=sr_1_21?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1303545529&sr=1-21

2. You then also need to buy a dongle which plugs into the pc to recieve the wireless signal. Like one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-802-11g-Wireless-Network-Adapter/dp/B001J2XSMA/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1303545599&sr=1-2

NB Virgin may well supply you with a free wireless router if you ask nicely.

Obviously you don't NEED to buy either of these particular models.

mine cost me ?40 from Virgin, despite having already using the same model already I was told they wouldn't give support to me unless I used one of their recommended routers. I had to buy the same model I already had for ?40 and use that to get any support from them :(

Do you already use the netbook wirelessly? If so then you must already have a wireless router in which case move onto step 2 of my 'How to' guide. :rolleyes:

1. The router you got from them needs to be replaced by one of these.

http://www.amazon.co...3545529&sr=1-21

2. You then also need to buy a dongle which plugs into the pc to recieve the wireless signal. Like one of these.

http://www.amazon.co...03545599&sr=1-2

NB Virgin may well supply you with a free wireless router if you ask nicely.

Obviously you don't NEED to buy either of these particular models.

I know what I need, hence why I was asking about the wireless USB adaptor and not a router. Virgin supplied me with a router, and I already have a router from prior to joining virgin, its just now I no longer plug the modem (cable broadband) directly in to my PC due to it being moved so was just looking for a recommendation on a USB adaptor.

I know what I need, hence why I was asking about the wireless USB adaptor and not a router. Virgin supplied me with a router, and I already have a router from prior to joining virgin, its just now I no longer plug the modem (cable broadband) directly in to my PC due to it being moved so was just looking for a recommendation on a USB adaptor.

With all due respect you never made that clear, infact you were the one asking about the free router. :mellow:

That belkin adapter is the one I use, yes. Had it for at least 2 years.

If you know what you need then you should head out and buy it. The brand for these things are pretty irrelevant you only need to know the specification of your current wireless network. If your router is only the 'G' standard then save some money and get a G rated usb adapter. If it is a N rated router or you want to future proof a little then get a N rated adapter.

With all due respect you never made that clear, infact you were the one asking about the free router. :mellow:

That belkin adapter is the one I use, yes. Had it for at least 2 years.

That was only because I misunderstood what the poster had said, I wasn't asking about the free router I was asking about a free USB adaptor as thats what I thought he meant by 'wireless thing', as I made clear in a previous post.

Anyway, misunderstanding cleared up. Cheers for the link, I'll check it out.

If you know what you need then you should head out and buy it. The brand for these things are pretty irrelevant you only need to know the specification of your current wireless network. If your router is only the 'G' standard then save some money and get a G rated usb adapter. If it is a N rated router or you want to future proof a little then get a N rated adapter.

Cheers, my initial thought was they would all be much of a muchness but was looking for some personal recomendations. I'll go for the one linked above in that case, cheers.

Archived