War heroes

wibble

No disrespect to any individual soldier - my point is aimed at society not the soldier - but is it not a bit strange that society shows greater respect to those that die than those that do their very dangerous jobs without stuffing up?

Come back alive and nobody gives a shit about what sort of crap you went through. No wonder half of them go mad.

I get your point, but I don't think you've worded it at all well. You're going to be in for some stick.

Jimmy Powell

I think I get what you say and you are kinda right, although I think they are better at looking after the guys and girls now than they used to be.

Someone I know recently came out army after being in since he was 17, they kinda phased him out, he had no ambitions to be an officer or training up those coming through, so they got him a posting nearer home and he worked at Barracks for about a year and they made sure he was in a job before he finished up.

I think the press make a big deal about those that die in the line of duty especially in Iraq or Afghanistan, because it is a fight we as the public, think we shouldn't be fighting.

Anyway they do a fantastic job and should be respected both in life and death.

Robbo-Jambo

I think I get what you say and you are kinda right, although I think they are better at looking after the guys and girls now than they used to be.

Someone I know recently came out army after being in since he was 17, they kinda phased him out, he had no ambitions to be an officer or training up those coming through, so they got him a posting nearer home and he worked at Barracks for about a year and they made sure he was in a job before he finished up.

I think the press make a big deal about those that die in the line of duty especially in Iraq or Afghanistan, because it is a fight we as the public, think we shouldn't be fighting.

Anyway they do a fantastic job and should be respected both in life and death.

The press, for once are right in making a big deal about it and IMO an even bigger deal should be made of it and not just by the media.

Watching the news night after night and hearing of another young guy being killed leaving a wife, young kids and parents with totally destroyed lives is heartbreaking to hear about. :(

blondejamtart

Well, it's my son's 16th birthday today and right now he's off to an interview as part of the army recruitment process, so I've got a personal interest in this issue. Of course there is a natural focus on those who've made the ultimate sacrifice, but I wholeheartedly agree that we shouldn't overlook those who're coming back alive too - some with the most horrendous physical injuries, and others bearing the mental scars.

Whatever anyone's views on whether they should actually be over there or not, I don't think you can deny that it takes a certain amount of courage to do so.

What disturbs me is that you hear heaps about the dead and almost nothing about the maimed, who outnumber the dead by about 20 to 1.

It makes you wonder when you see charities for limbless veterans ( http://www.blesma.org/ ) and also places like Erskine House. Why do ex-servicemen (and women) need to rely on charities when they have given their bodies in service for their country?

Surely if war is worth waging then caring for those damaged should not be left to charities? There is a stigma attached to relying on charity of any kind that these people should not be forced to face.

I've always thought that in all likelihood Simon Weston was probably a thorn in the side of the top brass. He was brave enough to appear in public and was, and is, a constant reminder of the risks of war. There must be dozens of disfigured individuals who never set foot outside their homes.

Think I know where the OP is coming from with this. When I was growing up Armistice day was a very big thing with loads of survivors of WW1 and WW2 participating - remembering the enormous loss of life in both these conflicts was a huge thing. Maybe those of my generation can remember the loads of invalid carts that there were inside football grounds in these days on match days operated mainly by those who had lost legs or the ability to walk as a result of being wounded in war. I vividly remember an old guy who lived accross the street from us who had been horribly scarred during WW1 and seldom left the house because he was so embarrassed about the scars that he bore. Little was ever said about these people or the sacrifice that they made - yet they were there in the society we lived in - forgotten and shunned by most. There are worse things than dying in war - some of these guys endured it through years. It's only right and proper that we remember and honour the fallen - but we must remember and care for the other victims as well.

There's a horror story about the treatment of disfigured servicemen here ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1578976/War-hero-backs-fair-deal-for-disfigured-soldier.html

the comparison with a typist with RSI is enough to make you puke.

My feeling is that the "glorious" deaths of soldiers are used as an advertisement for the forces - the pictures used are always of their smiling faces rather than their smashed bodies, whereas the harsh reality of disfigurement and a life of suffering is hidden from sight in case it deters young people from signing up. There is no balance in reporting of war and with the current job market there will be many who sign up without being fully aware of the risks and without being in any way aware of the piss-poor treatment they will receive if they are disfigured or disabled.

Archived