Trying to trace a player from the 70's

Bradders

Hi

The player is Ray Brunton, apparently played in the early 70's.

He works for my company but is retiring next week. I'm trying to track down any photos with him in so I can get it framed etc. It's all in a bit of a hurry as I've only got until Monday night to sort it out. I've emailed the club, but no reply yet, will call them later if I still don't hear but wondered if any of you can recollect the player, or give advice how to get a picture, either just him or a team shot.

Lastly, for anybody who does remember him......was he any good?;)

Hi

He works for my company but is retiring next week. I'm trying to track down any photos with him in so I can get it framed etc. It's all in a bit of a hurry as I've only got until Monday night to sort it out. I've emailed the club, but no reply yet, will call them later if I still don't hear but wondered if any of you can recollect the player, or give advice how to get a picture, either just him or a team shot.

London Hearts is your best bet.

:)

Nothing on London Hearts.

I assume he never played for the first XI?

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/aaplayers.html

London Hearts site is pretty exhaustive, but I don't know if if it is 100%.

(not a dig at the LH site btw! It is a phenomenal resource!)

Honest answer is I dunno, looking at Londonhearts he couldn't have, must have been a ressie.

I've spoken to the club now. They're gonna email the archivist, but I get the feeling that before he replies it'll be too late anyway. He's not employed by the club, as such, apparently.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Hearts Heritage
Honest answer is I dunno, looking at Londonhearts he couldn't have, must have been a ressie.

I've spoken to the club now. They're gonna email the archivist, but I get the feeling that before he replies it'll be too late anyway. He's not employed by the club, as such, apparently.

We now have complete details of EVERY 1st team player from 1955 so he never played for 1st team. I'll ask David Speed and see if he knows.

We now have complete details of EVERY 1st team player from 1955 so he never played for 1st team. I'll ask David Speed and see if he knows.

Cheers, much appreciated.

And yes, the possibility of porkies being told can't be entirely ruled out!

dkmmgcycbwc

Rings no bells with me. Playing staffs were much more stable in those days so even reserve players names would mostly mean something.

WorldChampions1902
Sounds like we have a Walter Mitty on our hands.

:confused:

Just checked the opening season programmes for 1970-79 which has squad photos and Playing Staff lists and he doesn't appear anywhere. He might of course have joined the club mid-season and not lasted for the commencement of his first full season which would explain this 'absence' :rolleyes:

Doesn't look promising.

Well it looks like you're right, but I don't want to give up until I know for sure.

Let me know if you get any other bright ideas how I can find out for absolute certain.

Cheers fellahs

Just checked the opening season programmes for 1970-79 which has squad photos and Playing Staff lists and he doesn't appear anywhere. He might of course have joined the club mid-season and not lasted for the commencement of his first full season which would explain this 'absence' :rolleyes:

Doesn't look promising.

Bloody hell. Thanks for that.....thats a lot of effort, much appreciated.

So, either the timeline is wrong and it's earlier than that, given that he's 57 now could give us 1967-1969 at a push, or Mr Mitty has entertained and regailed his colleagues for many a year on a false premise.:confused:

Hearts Heritage
Well it looks like you're right, but I don't want to give up until I know for sure.

Let me know if you get any other bright ideas how I can find out for absolute certain.

Cheers fellahs

He's not listed in 'Scottish League Players' so he didn't play for any other club.

Chad Sexington
He's not listed in 'Scottish League Players' so he didn't play for any other club.

Hang on, I think I've found him.

pencil_pinnochio.JPG

WorldChampions1902
Bloody hell. Thanks for that.....thats a lot of effort, much appreciated.

So, either the timeline is wrong and it's earlier than that, given that he's 57 now could give us 1967-1969 at a push, or Mr Mitty has entertained and regailed his colleagues for many a year on a false premise.:confused:

Checked from season 1965-66 to 1968-69 and still no luck.

Whatever his position at the club, it is unlikely it was even a second team slot (he says, trying to give the benefit of the doubt). :mw_rolleyes:

alwaysthereinspirit

As a going away gift you need to get him a #ibs strip.

When he asks "why a #ibs strip"

Just say "I know you never played for Hearts but were to embarrased to tell us it was actually #ibs":107years:

CornhillHearts

He could have played for the colts I remember a joe morgan they used to play in the east of scotland league in early 70s.

jambos are go!
I worked with rab aitchison who played briefly for the jts any info on him guys?60s

Very good reserve player with little pace IIRC. Midfield playmaker with good workrate. Went on to be top notch Junior (Bonnyrigg?)

Very good reserve player with little pace IIRC. Midfield playmaker with good workrate. Went on to be top notch Junior (Bonnyrigg?)

Rab Aitchison = Bonnyrigg Rose legend.:pray:

Nucky Thompson

Looks like the guy's bubble has been burst:) This Internet age has a lot to answer for:rolleyes:

Hi

This is a great thread lads.

Bradders , ask to see the fecker's birth certificate you never know it might have a different name , like ehh , Jimmy Cant ! Lol !

Maybe Ernie Winchester and you could see why he changed his name.

p.s.

Where is he working ?

With his level of bullsheet , must be insurance , sales or politics.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
This is a great thread lads.

Bradders , ask to see the fecker's birth certificate you never know it might have a different name , like ehh , Jimmy Cant ! Lol !

Maybe Ernie Winchester and you could see why he changed his name.

p.s.

Where is he working ?

With his level of bullsheet , must be insurance , sales or politics.

I was there, right through the 70s. Sorry to say, he was never in the first team - even on sh*te days at Shawfield. :confused:

And what's this nonsense about Ernie? He scored one of the best goals I ever saw at Tynie. A shot from all of 25-30 yards. OK, we got beat 5-2 (I think - help me out here, auld yins) by Dundee, but it was an f'in' good goal. Stroll on, EW. Anyone know where he is now?

Thats right mate,i think he played/managed them when they won the scottish cup,he also played for arniston.Rab is a great guy,never short of a good story or two and is one of these guy who seems to know everyone.He now works with a heating company i used to work for,i am sure he was a tin smith back in the day.

CornhillHearts
I worked with rab aitchison who played briefly for the jts any info on him guys?60s

If its the same Rab Aitchison you'll find him at Seafield Bowling Club, or "the Bottom Shop" where another legend, (of the H*** variety, if there's such a thing), Tam Preston spends a fair bit of time.

Thanks alot for the research fellahs.

Got to say that a little part of me always suspected that some BS was involved, but gave him the benefit of the doubt, especially as, even at 57, he's no bad player still.

And for the person who asked...he's in sales.;)

The biggest problem no w is that his leaving present is now fugged up and I'm back to square one.

Cheers again, very much appreciated.

He could have played for the colts I remember a joe morgan they used to play in the east of scotland league in early 70s.

I was lucky enough to play a handful of games for the "A's" back in 70-71 but was never signed.

I don't remember his name either, but it may have been Tony Rialist or A.N. Other.

scott herbertson
I was lucky enough to play a handful of games for the "A's" back in 70-71 but was never signed.

I don't remember his name either, but it may have been Tony Rialist or A.N. Other.

Were they not cousins of A. Newman?

I grew up with my grandad telling me he played for Hearts and as an act of passage I was hence introduced by him to many years of Saturday afternoon traumas with some excessive highs.

When I got a job with Hearts in the late 90's I got the archivist to check him out and after much digging, like your guy there was absolutely nothing.

Now I am not saying my grandad told me porky's and I have resolved he was indeed a reserve keeper (signed after the war from Ormiston Primrose ..... a feeder team for Hearts he proudly told me), but I could see the old so and so far enough when I reflect what my Saturday afternoons would be like now if he had not introduced me to the School End on a Saturday afternoon in 1962 (it was against Dunfermline, Jock Stein was their Manager and I think we lost .... so nothing changes eh)?

i worked for a spell with gary o connor

i think he was a keeper, now a business mgr with RBS

I'd known Rab for years before I new he played for hearts... when he told me I thought he was taking the pash.... top guy.

rodger whittaker

I know Joe pretty well - top bloke. I'm good pals with his son - Alan Morgan, formerly of ICT and now with Killie.

I know Joe pretty well - top bloke. I'm good pals with his son - Alan Morgan, formerly of ICT and now with Killie.

Joe was Ainlsie Park, but a year OLDER than me. Hehe;)

Right this gets worse!

Just when I was thinking it was all a figment....

I spoke to someone in the company today who can recount 3 tales which lead him to believe Ray is telling the truth.

1) He was asked by a kid for his autograph on behalf of his father. This happened in a hotel reception, the father recognised Ray from footie, apparently.

2) At some event, he was with Ray in Southampton, when Mark Hateley (Yes I know he's several years younger) came over to say hello to Ray. Asked how he knew him, Hateley said something like they'd played together years earlier????

3) When Les Sealey was still at Luton, Ray was by this time working for us, apparently, they had a meeting with somebody connected with Luton Town...Les Sealey was there, and also knew Ray.

Also, he was there at or around the same time as a guy called Dougie Parks was involved in Hearts.

All this has convinced my colleague that there's something in this, in that none of the events could possible have been set up by Ray, and it does seem like a lot of effort just to make a fable seem true!

Anyway, it's too late, I've got him something else....maybe it's just one of those great mysteries that we'll never solve:)

Firstly, thanks once again to everyone for their responses on this.

I now know the truth and it appears that my boss wasn't Walter Mitty at all, but that people's recollections had become cloudy over time and key facts had been misunderstood. I had a big talk with the big man and this is his story...

He is a lifelong Hearts fan..(works in the south east of England but lives in Livingstone)

He was signed on schoolboy terms by Hearts at 13, played for the Colts in the leagues for 3 years and was released at 16.

Went on to sign for Falkirk and played for them for a few years (the highlight according to hiim always being when he played at Tynecastle).

Did his knee in and had to retire, and Dougie Parks (who was involved at Hearts in some way) put him forward for the job he now occupies....albeit the role being far removed, he was a rep in Scotland in those days.

I apologise to anybody who's time I've wasted, but I was genuinely searching with the best information we possessed, and everybody who knew him was convinced that he played for Hearts. Which just goes to show me that whenever he talked about his football days, we all automatically switched off;)

Thanks again

Bradders

Hearts Heritage

Went on to sign for Falkirk and played for them for a few years (the highlight according to hiim always being when he played at Tynecastle).

There is no player called Ray Brunton who played for Falkirk listed on John Listers CD of Scottish Post war players. I'm not saying it is 100% accurate but still no mention of the man.

Terrible Trio
There is no player called Ray Brunton who played for Falkirk listed on John Listers CD of Scottish Post war players. I'm not saying it is 100% accurate but still no mention of the man.

wait a minute, it wasn't Falkirk it was East Stirling :)

This has to be the best thread on Kickback this year!

Well done all!

On a similar theme, I grew up being told my Grandad had played for Liverpool.

I was a little surprised when it turned out he only played one game for the first team -although it was against Everton in front of a full house at Anfield.

What a claim to fame though.

My Grandad (of whom I & the rest of my family are very proud) :

http://www.lfchistory.net/player_profile.asp?player_id=753

I grew up with my grandad telling me he played for Hearts and as an act of passage I was hence introduced by him to many years of Saturday afternoon traumas with some excessive highs.

When I got a job with Hearts in the late 90's I got the archivist to check him out and after much digging, like your guy there was absolutely nothing.

Now I am not saying my grandad told me porky's and I have resolved he was indeed a reserve keeper (signed after the war from Ormiston Primrose ..... a feeder team for Hearts he proudly told me), but I could see the old so and so far enough when I reflect what my Saturday afternoons would be like now if he had not introduced me to the School End on a Saturday afternoon in 1962 (it was against Dunfermline, Jock Stein was their Manager and I think we lost .... so nothing changes eh)?

I'm having similar problems tracing any record of my wife's grandad who 'played for Hearts', probably between the wars. Unfortunately his signing papers ended up in Canada when his son emigrated and were subsequently lost and I have no evidence that he was ever on Hearts books, other than the fact that he was invited to the Centenary dinner (I have his place setting card autographed by John Harvey, Tommy Walker and someone else). His name was John Robertson (honest ...) but he was known as 'Jocky'. Just to complicate matters, there was a goalkeeper called John 'Jocky' Robertson who played for Third Lanark in the 50s but that's definitely not him ! If anyone could shed some light on this mystery, I'd apreciate it ...

... and yes, I have tried London Hearts !

Archived