Victory Shield

Footballfirst

The Old Tolbooth

Victory Shield decider against Ingerlund just starting on SS1 (or Streampro :whistling: )

Cheers for the heads up on that mate, I was meaning to watch this and forgot about it :thumbsup:

Also, thanks to RedM too for the links to the game as Streampro is asking me to renew my subscription to them after I've paid them for a year the tossers, I'm getting seriously fed up with them now! :(

Short, sharp email sent! :Bazooka:

The Old Tolbooth

2-0 England, why do we never turn up against them?

We've been so impressive in our other games too and very unlucky to only draw with Wales, probably showed more than England have which is why we only need a draw to secure the title, I wonder if that's playing on their minds

Stewie Griffin

Why do we have a 12 year old midfielder? The number 8.

Dont know but he cost us the first goal

2-0 England, why do we never turn up against them?

We've been so impressive in our other games too and very unlucky to only draw with Wales, probably showed more than England have which is why we only need a draw to secure the title, I wonder if that's playing on their minds

is that you on stretcher duty???

colinmaroon

Why do we have a 12 year old midfielder? The number 8.

That's a Heightist post, IMO!!!

I thought it surprising that we have nobody from the Fife clubs, nor Dundee, nor the Borders nor Edinburgh, yet representation from from Queens Park and Falkirk. It is especially noticeable there is no one from the Lochend conveyor belt.

Does this say something about Ross Mathie or are we picking up the wrong youngsters?

Footballfirst

I thought it surprising that we have nobody from the Fife clubs, nor Dundee, nor the Borders nor Edinburgh, yet representation from from Queens Park and Falkirk. It is especially noticeable there is no one from the Lochend conveyor belt.

Does this say something about Ross Mathie or are we picking up the wrong youngsters?

I don't think that it is as simple as us picking the wrong youngsters. We had 4 players in the Victory Shield squad last season. These things go in cycles, but with Celtic and Dundee Utd establishing connections with schools to enable their youngsters to get more coaching time, I'd expect them to play a greater role in providing Scotland players in the future. I think that almost all the Celtic players in the Scotland sqaud attend St Ninians H.S. in Kirkintilloch.

Charlie-Brown

I don't think that it is as simple as us picking the wrong youngsters. We had 4 players in the Victory Shield squad last season. These things go in cycles, but with Celtic and Dundee Utd establishing connections with schools to enable their youngsters to get more coaching time, I'd expect them to play a greater role in providing Scotland players in the future. I think that almost all the Celtic players in the Scotland sqaud attend St Ninians H.S. in Kirkintilloch.

I don't doubt that future selectors will favour these clubs who have set up systems in accordance with new SFA policy. I think more coaching time for young players is of course beneficial to ensure they get maximum time with a ball at their feet is a good thing however innate talent must still surely be an important factor and probably THE most important factor and I don't think some extra hours training will turn an average talent at United or wherever into a better player than a kid with superior talent at another club who maybe don't have a school tie-up.

Iam also against these school link up's from an educational point of view - parents must surely decide what's the best school for their children not what's most convenient or local for the football clubs. If my son was good enough to play for Hearts I don't think i'd be happy if they tried to insist which School he had to attend as part of their youth system - ie Currie or Wester-Hailes or Forrester etc. Parents must decide which school is best in terms of educational achievement & reputation, suitable location + others factors like siblings & other family / friends etc attending. Football clubs should be giving our kids a programme to work to and increasing the frequency of training sessions & perhaps holding more localised training sessions for groups of players from edinburgh, glasgow, central etc instead of demanding a large amount of unproductive travelling time or that all kids must attend a local school based on convenience for the club but not necessarily the best choice for parents & children.

Guest C00l K1d

I don't doubt that future selectors will favour these clubs who have set up systems in accordance with new SFA policy. I think more coaching time for young players is of course beneficial to ensure they get maximum time with a ball at their feet is a good thing however innate talent must still surely be an important factor and probably THE most important factor and I don't think some extra hours training will turn an average talent at United or wherever into a better player than a kid with superior talent at another club who maybe don't have a school tie-up.

Iam also against these school link up's from an educational point of view - parents must surely decide what's the best school for their children not what's most convenient or local for the football clubs. If my son was good enough to play for Hearts I don't think i'd be happy if they tried to insist which School he had to attend as part of their youth system - ie Currie or Wester-Hailes or Forrester etc. Parents must decide which school is best in terms of educational achievement & reputation, suitable location + others factors like siblings & other family / friends etc attending. Football clubs should be giving our kids a programme to work to and increasing the frequency of training sessions & perhaps holding more localised training sessions for groups of players from edinburgh, glasgow, central etc instead of demanding a large amount of unproductive travelling time or that all kids must attend a local school based on convenience for the club but not necessarily the best choice for parents & children.

They already have a Scotland schools team though, so surely it shouldn't really matter which school they're at for the proper Scotland team?

We_are_the_Hearts

Same old story, no composure or confidence against the better teams. Players offloading the ball, going direct instead of making passes and angles. Doing it against a crappy N Ireland team doesn't show a player, last night was the stage. Maybe it's in our culture now!

Archived