My Derby Memories

Jam Tart

Well, thanks to Rudi and good ole Stevo my head is in a slightly better place than it could have been as I look forward to our next game. It's a couple of weeks I know but what the hell, it's a late shift at work and i'm entertaining myself with thoughts of derbies past. I'm a new poster so I thought i'd share a few...

My first derby was no 17 in the famous run of 22. I was only wee but remember us scoring in the 2nd half for a 1-0 win. Robbo got that winner and I remember asking my Dad what the fans were singing: "oh oh oh it's magic you know.." I liked this winning feeling!

I watched the utter chaos in the away end after Fozzy megged Bandy Leighton from my living room. If there was one game from the past that I would love to have been at I think it would be this one. It must have been bedlam!

A few years later and I started having my own bedlam experiences at Easter Road. There's something special about the increased hostility of going down there. All packed in to a full stand, songs a-plenty. Mixu's late penalty that he tried to dink over Niemi was a classic. Usually you can rely on the Hearts to do Hibs over a good and proper. But when we don't, Hibs usually help us along with some suicide goalkeeping or a reckless red or two.

The fat Finn aside, I think my favourite memory from Easter road was the Phil Stamp game. It was such a rush when Moose McKenna equalised, I was buzzing. But for Stampy to then step up and slam home the winner (incidentally, did anyone else see the provider of Stamps goal playing for Brechin against the Saints? What a dive he took!) was just incredible. What a rush, after the bouncing around had stopped I was physically shaking. Unexpected unbridled joy. I've jumped out of planes and put my willy in some nice pooches, this was right up there.

Back at Tynecastle the 4-4 game sticks out as a cracker too. Almost everybody around me had left by the time Weir had scored his second, I had a whole row to jump around in! And even better the vermin end was jam packed! What a great game, can you script this? No you can't.

This season has been petty good also. Although I think my desire to see Hibs continually beaten into their place is getting a little intense. I had just got myself calmed down from a fever pitch when rattie mcheroin went through Skacel and saw red. My head just about blew off, man I had to get out of there at the final whistle and calm it doon. Great to be on such an emotional ride though, rammed it up them again.

New Years Day was special too. I know we are so so much better than them this year but New Years Day is something special, I would have given my right testicle for a win. So when the big guy slammed that header home late on, you've guessed it, skydiving shagging feelings for the next week!

Well that's a few of my memories. There's a lot more, we just ram them so often... The big semi is a notable miss from my derby cv. I was on a ski touring trip in Norway that had been organised months in advance, as part of my university course. I spent the whole week sniffing about a blonde from my course, and there was some good skiing too. It was a great trip but you can go skiing and fail at chatting up blondes any time, you don't pump the green in a cup semi every year...

Feel free to add a memory or two, if you are also getting geared up for another trip to the methadome :)

Archived