OF Apologists United

Francis Albert

Francis Albert

Just listened in the car to a Radio 5 Live discussion of the last OF derby and its aftermath. Roddy Forsyth doing his usual sweeping under the carpet (never been able to take him seriously since he claimed a while back on the same channel that Rangers away fans singing sectarian songs represented a tiny minority of no more than 30 or 40!). Donald Finlay amd Michael Kelly (the "experts" interviewed, incredibly) blaming the politicians and police for blowing everything out of proportion, and showing the usual OF solidarity. "It's always been like this, they are only 90 minute bigots who meet up in the pubs before and after for a drink together" - to quote Findlay). Very disappointing that 5 Live swallowed whole the OF/Forsyth/Scottish media line without any objective input whatsoever, and the only mention of the violence surrounding OF games coming at the end in a police statement read (of course) by the English studio presenter.

londonjambo

Heard the same interviews in the car as well and was raging with Five Live that they allowed that to pass off as intelligent independent journalism.

Absolutely raging and my e-mail to them will go tomorrow

:angry:

GC

Guest Dr. Pepper

Heard the same interviews in the car as well and was raging with Five Live that they allowed that to pass off as intelligent independent journalism.

GC

Im sure your email will send shock waves through the five live studio and the British media as a whole :what:

GC

Let us know what they say!

If they get back to you that is.

londonjambo

Im sure your email will send shock waves through the five live studio and the British media as a whole :what:

Dont really see the point in your sarcasm to be honest. You are making the point that an e-mail is not going to change anything and you are of course right. I agree with you.

I know its all part of the JKB schtick to be sarcastic and dismissive of everything so well done on making a hilarious reply.

GC

Guest Dr. Pepper

Dont really see the point in your sarcasm to be honest. You are making the point that an e-mail is not going to change anything and you are of course right. I agree with you.

I know its all part of the JKB schtick to be sarcastic and dismissive of everything so well done on making a hilarious reply.

GC

Im being serious, get them telt.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Forsyth was jaw droppingly defensive of the OF.

Who's paying him?

Roddy the Proddy is a self- confessed bluenose.

Denny Crane

Hmm... what led to Findlay losing his post at Rangers again? :whistling:

Francis Albert

Hmm... what led to Findlay losing his post at Rangers again? :whistling:

I missed the beginning of the piece, but perhaps the BBC "journalist" conducting the interview did mention this not entirely irrelevant bit of background.

But given Roddy's grovelling performance in the bit I did hear, I somehow suspect not.

Forsyth was jaw droppingly defensive of the OF.

Who's paying him?

He doesn't need paying, he's a 100% died-in-the-wool rabid Hun. He virtually starts greeting if anybody scores a goal against his beloved Rainjurs.

What Scottish football could really badly do with is broadcasters and journalists who love football more than they love the evil OF twins. I always think it's interesting looking at match reports from the past - even a 100 years ago you'd get reporters who were more interested in the technical side of the football and who was playing the best and winning the tactical battle, none of the partisan drivel we're subjected to now.

the last OF game was blown out of proportion

There was hardly a bad tackle in the game. Nothing worse than any SPL game

What it did do though, was deflect how bad the two of them are fitba wise

Ive seen many a worse Edinburgh derby. The media just arent interested though

It was a passionate game of fitba, move on,

Teuchterjambo

Hmmmm !

Sorry, but you're barking up the wrong tree. The problem isn't with the tackles.

The problem is with a so-called civilised society like ours allowing Celtic and Rangers fans to hold basic human rights like having children, having opinions, etc. Instead of just being a seething shithole of religious bigotry and nedism, Glasgow should be turned into a walled ghetto. Shut them in there, lock the gates and let them starve. That'll teach them a lesson.

The Treasurer

This isn't having a go at this or any other thread on the subject but am I the only person who is totally bored with listening to all the pesh being trotted out about the OF "shame game"

It's in every paper, on tv, on the radio.

It's the same crap that gets rehashed every time there's an "incident" before during or after an OF game.

Charlie-Brown

I don't know if it's just me but apart from Hearts 10 or 11 game great run of wins i think this football season has been the most dispiriting I can remember, between refereeing controversies, refereeing strikes, endless Old Firm disputes, SPL reconstruction and the prospect of a 10 team league, people thinking it's okay for non-Scots to play in the national team as long as we win football matches and that somehow that's a positive development and not an admission of failure........ I don't think I've ever been as discouraged about Scottish football as Iam at this moment in time.

gorgie rd eh11

Every OF game is blown out of proportion. It's nowhere near as big or important as our media make out.

The media could tell the truth about how both rangers and celtic are built on sectarian hatred. They don't though, they prefer the "small minority" :teehee: "banter" way of looking at things. It's an easier life for them.

Francis Albert

This isn't having a go at this or any other thread on the subject but am I the only person who is totally bored with listening to all the pesh being trotted out about the OF "shame game"

It's in every paper, on tv, on the radio.

It's the same crap that gets rehashed every time there's an "incident" before during or after an OF game.

I share your boredom with all things OF. But the thread isn't really about the OF game but about the Radio 5 Live apologia last night. I'm glad londonjambo heard it too and reacted similarly, otherwise I might have doubted in the cold light of day whether I had actually heard it.

To give a bit more of the flavour:

Roddy Forsyth's interview with Donald Findlay was the most obsequious by a supposed journalist I have ever heard. At one point he referred to the fact that Findlay must "in the course of his work" have come across sectarian issues! And as said before then let him get away with the assertion about "90 minute bigots" without challenging him on his own extra-curricular activities that lost him his Rangers position. Of course Finlay might have run the "it wasn't sectarian" argument, but to let him off without even addressing it was shameful "journalism". So Findlay came across to a national UK audience, as a respected high minded observer of west of Scotland culture and opponent of the infamies of bringing religion into schools (apparently a peculiarly west of Scotland phenomenon!).

Pat Nevin, who interviewed Michael Kelly (an interesting division of roles between him and Roddy in itself) at least tried. He did at least once sort of raise a criticism, a question about whether in some way Lennon might just be part of the problem. But the question was couched in the most extraordinarily cautious way. "I am going to be very careful in asking this. I am not for a moment suggesting any blame attaches to Lennon"... and so on in a seemingly endless disclaimer.When Kelly eventually got to answer it was "you are right to be very careful about how you ask that question" before making the predictable "Lennon is perhaps a lightning rod ..." defense (Lennon as part victim, part sacrificial lamb!)

Roddy signed off with a cosy little reminiscence about how 3 Rangers players were sent off in an OF game .... 20 years ago. And they were all English ... "so perhaps we should blame the English!" (chortle chortle). Eleanor Oldroyd in the London studio ignored him and read a police statement about the levels of domestic and other violence that surround OF fixtures.

Charlie-Brown

Rather than portraying & demonstrating the finest virtues of investigative & critical journalism the simple reality is nobody wants to be denied their privileges at Ibrox or Parkhead ........ sad but true.

The Treasurer

I share your boredom with all things OF. But the thread isn't really about the OF game but about the Radio 5 Live apologia last night. I'm glad londonjambo heard it too and reacted similarly, otherwise I might have doubted in the cold light of day whether I had actually heard it.

Fair enough FA

It's just that when I see any mention of the "shame game" or Lennon v gFa etc I just know it's going to be a re-hash of the same old sound bites with no-one brave enough to stand up and voice what the REAL problems are associated with those 2 "institutions"

Francis Albert

BBC Scotland (albeit on a UK channel) pundits go easy on Old Firm apologists shock.

More a question of leading the apologists from the front than "going easy" on them. No shock I agree but disappointing that 5 Live should give them a UK platform.

Denny Crane

Forsyth clearly not wanting to run the risk of being banned or having player/manager access restricted by Mr Bain and Ms Paton. Roddy, one of your predecessors, Archie MacPherson had to face down and stand up to the likes of Stein and Wallace and still kept a working relationship with the Old Firm in tact. Those two characters were far scarier than any of the suited PR buffoons that the two clubs throw up against you.

colinmaroon

He doesn't need paying, he's a 100% died-in-the-wool rabid Hun. He virtually starts greeting if anybody scores a goal against his beloved Rainjurs.

What Scottish football could really badly do with is broadcasters and journalists who love football more than they love the evil OF twins. I always think it's interesting looking at match reports from the past - even a 100 years ago you'd get reporters who were more interested in the technical side of the football and who was playing the best and winning the tactical battle, none of the partisan drivel we're subjected to now.

It used to be that the reporters "reported" on the game and the "opinion" side was given by the "Sports Editor".

Now it's all about the opinions of the so-called "reporters"!

It's just another nauseating result of post-postmodern skubala!!!

Archived