This seasons 'vibe'...

Martin_T

...has never really quite recovered from that horrible Tuesday night back in early January when St Johnstone knocked us out of the cup. For me that remains the almighty punch in the guts from which the team has never quite got it's collective breath back. Even when we beat Rangers, it was more through luck than good play.

Good Hearts seasons usually come with good cup runs. For all this team has had an above average performance in the league, I doubt this season will be remembered with any great fondness because of that horrible Tuesday night.

Ryan Gosling

If we'd won that, Partick Thistle then Brechin for a place in the semi final against Dundee Utd or Motherwell?

Depressing.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Got the club to thank for that with their smart arse antics that were widely supported on here. :down:

Got the club to thank for that with their smart arse antics that were widely supported on here. :down:

And that stopped fans from attending the game and supporting the team ?

...has never really quite recovered from that horrible Tuesday night back in early January when St Johnstone knocked us out of the cup. For me that remains the almighty punch in the guts from which the team has never quite got it's collective breath back.

I'm in full agreement with this and have been banging on about it for weeks. The club approached the whole bloody thing as if it was an East of Scotland Shield tie that was taking our mind off more important things.

When we look back on this season I suspect that the brightest memory will be Templeton's runs and Skacel's return/goals.

It might also be seen as a springboard for next season ... let's hope so.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

It was like a friendly.

Only a Game

There was a strange apathy about that game, from the minute the ticket price row kicked off. That apathy continued right through to the night of the game and undoubtedly IMO rubbed off on the players

I didnt go myself as my first instinct when the pricing row surfaced was, feck you St Johnstone, your not getting MY cash. I did have several changes of mind but at the end of the day I couldnt be arsed going.

I'd imagine a lot of people didnt go for those main reasons plus a selection of others including the Wheatfield being shut. I still dont know what we were trying to achieve there.

It certainly cant have done the team any favours to realise that more than half the season ticket holders couldnt actually be arsed going to that game.

The club certainly played a part in that mess but the fans made it worse IMO ( and I regret to say was one of them)

A great pity because we'd have been on our 20th " I deserve a cup final ticket more than you" thread by now if we hadnt lost to them.

...has never really quite recovered from that horrible Tuesday night back in early January when St Johnstone knocked us out of the cup. For me that remains the almighty punch in the guts from which the team has never quite got it's collective breath back. Even when we beat Rangers, it was more through luck than good play.

Good Hearts seasons usually come with good cup runs. For all this team has had an above average performance in the league, I doubt this season will be remembered with any great fondness because of that horrible Tuesday night.

I think you're right - that cup defeat was a real kick in the teeth and killed a lot of our momentum. The thing is, though, we're making a habit of it. At Falkirk in the league cup, the team did not start playing until we were 2-0 down. Our last 6 domestic cup exits have been to Falkirk (twice), St Johnstone, Aberdeen, St Mirren and Airdrie.

If I was the manager, a few hours before our first game in the SC next season I would make the players watch a video of the St Johnstone game, followed by videos of the celebrations from 1998 and 2006. The point? That to have your day in the sunshine in May, you need to get yourself up for a game on a cold Tuesday night in January in front of a poor crowd.

Radioactive Mince

There was a strange apathy about that game, from the minute thiiiie ticket price row kicked off. That apathy continued right through to the night of the game and undoubtedly IMO rubbed off on the players

I didnt go myself as my first instinct when the pricing row surfaced was, feck you St Johnstone, your not getting MY cash. I did have several changes of mind but at the end of the day I couldnt be arsed going.

I'd imagine a lot of people didnt go for those main reasons plus a selection of others including the Wheatfield being shut. I still dont know what we were trying to achieve there.

It certainly cant have done the team any favours to realise that more than half the season ticket holders couldnt actually be arsed going to that game.

The club certainly played a part in that mess but the fans made it worse IMO ( and I regret to say was one of them)

A great pity because we'd have been on our 20th " I deserve a cup final ticket more than you" thread by now if we hadnt lost to them.

Good post. Similar line of thinking I went through and generally agree with all of that.

Geez a banana.

Agreed.

We approached the game in a terrible manner. Fans and the club.

If we'd still been in the cup there would have still been a massive buzz around Tynie - and I bet we'd have been still challenging nearer the OF.

Ah well, there's always next season.

Targets for next season:

1 Cup Final

Get through Europa League group stage.

Finish at least 3rd.

Beat Hibs 3 times (if they dont make top six) 4 times (if they do).

jack D and coke

Seem to recall quite a lot of people in favour of playing a weakened side including that goon Gary Mackay. Read all the rest Templeton posts when he'd been on fire. As it happens our next match ended bring postponed so they'd have got a rest anyway and Temps and all our big players have played none since. A pivotal moment in our season and one we haven't recovered from.

I said at the time I don't know who we think are and we got exactly what we deserved. An absolutely enormous ricket.

The Treasurer

Targets for next season:

1 Cup Final

Get through Europa League group stage.

Finish at least 3rd.

Beat Hibs 3 times (if they dont make top six) 4 times (if they do).

All reasonable and achievable targets. thumbsup.gif

first 2 depend on favourable draws and the right attitude.

3rd one requires a few key additions to the squad.

the last one should not only be expected but delivered with a barrowload of goals as well

Was that not the last game that Kyle played?

SectionDJambo

At the time, some guys on here were asking whether we should be concentrating on our league challenge, rather than have a good go at a successful cup run. I think it is fair that we were probably getting a bit carried away at that time. Sustaining a league challenge is very difficult, but not impossible, for anyone outwith the Uglies. The cup was easily our best chance of a great season, as in 1998 and 2006, because, with a bit of luck, you only need to be at your best 5 times.

St.Johnstone's cup game schedule since, only causes further regret, although there is no guarantee that the draw would have panned out that way had we still been in.

With all the nonsense about ticket prices and the unbelievable apathy that it encouraged to the fans and players, we had the inevitable result against St.Johnstone, which definately sprung the wheels from our cart. We have never had the same urgency or consistency since. Going out of the cup early rarely inspires a team.

If JJ does nothing else next season, he has to get our players to stop mucking about in cup ties. Our recent record is deplorable. I think we have only won 2 Scottish Cup ties since we last won it.

Archived