"To the Cloud"

Tommy Wiseau

Is that this windows photo thing?

it just seems to be a catch all term for windows 7 bum-banditry

scott_jambo

:(

OMG that is heartbreaking. sad.gif I like Zach Efron now.

BoJack Horseman

It actually boils my piss every time I see that bloody advert. Wtf does it even mean 'to the cloud'. 'The cloud' is nothing, it's not an entity, it doesn't exist, you can't just go there and you bloody well don't change your PC to fecking do it. Arseholes.

it just seems to be a catch all term for windows 7 bum-banditry

Would that be like the Mac boys...I've got a tw@t for that.

It actually boils my piss every time I see that bloody advert. Wtf does it even mean 'to the cloud'. 'The cloud' is nothing, it's not an entity, it doesn't exist, you can't just go there and you bloody well don't change your PC to fecking do it. Arseholes.

Actually...you can go there. I can go there tomorrow. It's basically a server farm. Clustered servers running some expensive software with OS and applications running direct from these servers. You then connect to it (as do 1000s of other users), think Remote Desktop, and you work direct off the server. Meaning you do not need to have these applications on your local system (laptop etc) when can save money on software costs and support.

Do you change your PC? Not so much. You could change your OS to Google Chrome OS or something similar cloud based.

Cloud is a terminology, but it does exist.

:wtfvlad:

Commenting on the catch phrases used, you say "to the cloud" is Microsoft and I ask whether similar to the Apple phrase "We've got an app for that"...or slightly paraphrasing anyway :D

Cloud computing isn't Win7 based though, if anything it's MS Win Server Datacentre, VMWare or Citrix that are the main providers of the services...overlaid with Mac, Win, Linux, Chrome depending on your preference.

If Microsoft manage to tie their brand to the cloud as the defacto brand to use, Bill Gates will be chugging away quite happily I'd imagine.

BoJack Horseman

Actually...you can go there. I can go there tomorrow. It's basically a server farm. Clustered servers running some expensive software with OS and applications running direct from these servers. You then connect to it (as do 1000s of other users), think Remote Desktop, and you work direct off the server. Meaning you do not need to have these applications on your local system (laptop etc) when can save money on software costs and support.

Do you change your PC? Not so much. You could change your OS to Google Chrome OS or something similar cloud based.

Cloud is a terminology, but it does exist.

You're essentially describing a thin-client set-up. That's different to 'The Cloud'.

BoJack Horseman

Commenting on the catch phrases used, you say "to the cloud" is Microsoft and I ask whether similar to the Apple phrase "We've got an app for that"...or slightly paraphrasing anyway :D

Cloud computing isn't Win7 based though, if anything it's MS Win Server Datacentre, VMWare or Citrix that are the main providers of the services...overlaid with Mac, Win, Linux, Chrome depending on your preference.

If Microsoft manage to tie their brand to the cloud as the defacto brand to use, Bill Gates will be chugging away quite happily I'd imagine.

Yeah you're definitely getting confused between thin-client and 'cloud' computing.

Not sure why you are bringing apple into this but now that you have I will say that apple shit all over Microsoft when it comes to marketing. :smuggy: Microsoft adverts are always ******* cringeworthy.

You're essentially describing a thin-client set-up. That's different to 'The Cloud'.

No, essentially it's the same or similar depending on your usage. There are two real streams. Thin client or zero client where your hardware connects and OS + apps are provided or SaaS where you have the hardware and OS, you just use software on their servers (this is what Google plans with upcoming Chrome OS). Bear in mind though your typical TC setup is LAN, this would be WAN so technically is PCoIP that you would be using.

You said you can't visit the cloud. You can. Physically at the server farm or virtually if there was a visual interface to allow you to navigate your way round Johnny Mnemonic style. The former I can do with a quick trip down the road and the latter is not that far off. We already have the interface from Minority Report...full versions using multiple infrared cameras and cameras for movement capture or the cut down version in Xbox Kinect. Asus are also bringing out a PC version of this in Q2 / Q3. Hybrid that with the techniques developed for online virtual communities such as Second Life and that's you Mnemonic.

With things going touchscreen and hand gesture (I've spoken to guys developing an interface for your mobile based on eyebrow movement and head tweaks), the current method using in Windows, OSX etc etc will have to change. Apple's new Lion OSX has a lot of functionality from iOS integrated, Win8 will be similar. Tiny icons and fiddly menus will disappear while hand gesture recognition will get better. Voice is also getting better, Google has already sampled the entire worldwide voice pattern through one of their beta systems, next we will have alpha waves read so you can just think what you want and it will happen...decades off, but the very basic stuff is already in place.

Not sure why you are bringing apple into this but now that you have I will say that apple shit all over Microsoft when it comes to marketing. :smuggy: Microsoft adverts are always ******* cringeworthy.

Apple might shit all over Microsoft's advertising, but unfortunately Macs are just shit :D

When Apple have a similar market share to Microsoft in terms of home and business computing, you may have a point in how effective their marketing is. Pretty shiney things don't make them good or useful things.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I'M PEECARDS FORESKIN AND HALF SEASON TICKETS WERE MY IDEA.

:verysmug:

Apple might shit all over Microsoft's advertising, but unfortunately Macs are just shit :D

When Apple have a similar market share to Microsoft in terms of home and business computing, you may have a point in how effective their marketing is. Pretty shiney things don't make them good or useful things.

I have had a mac for 3 years now and would never go back. Windows Operating systems are a load of shit.

I'M PEECARDS FORESKIN AND HALF SEASON TICKETS WERE MY IDEA.

Don't start lumping me in with that shit campaign.

BTW AG, are you a unemployed waster needing a job that values retail "experience"? There's an app for that :verysmug:

Ray Winstone

BTW AG, are you a unemployed waster needing a job? There's an app for that :verysmug:

I'm not moving to South East Asia on 6 pence an hour to sew badges onto sweaters!

Amirite? :verysmug:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

BTW AG, are you a unemployed waster needing a job that values retail "experience"? There's an app for that :verysmug:

:lol: :lol:

Hit a nerve by the looks it.

I'm a student - no job required. :smuggy:

I'm not moving to South East Asia on 6 pence an hour to sew badges onto sweaters!

Amirite? :verysmug:

Nah your going to spend your life proof reading other peoples shit novels. AMIRITE :verysmug:

Ray Winstone

Nah your going to spend your life proof reading other peoples shit novels. AMIRITE :verysmug:

Gonna find the next JK Rowling bud you?

BoJack Horseman

No, essentially it's the same or similar depending on your usage. There are two real streams. Thin client or zero client where your hardware connects and OS + apps are provided or SaaS where you have the hardware and OS, you just use software on their servers (this is what Google plans with upcoming Chrome OS). Bear in mind though your typical TC setup is LAN, this would be WAN so technically is PCoIP that you would be using.

You said you can't visit the cloud. You can. Physically at the server farm or virtually if there was a visual interface to allow you to navigate your way round Johnny Mnemonic style. The former I can do with a quick trip down the road and the latter is not that far off. We already have the interface from Minority Report...full versions using multiple infrared cameras and cameras for movement capture or the cut down version in Xbox Kinect. Asus are also bringing out a PC version of this in Q2 / Q3. Hybrid that with the techniques developed for online virtual communities such as Second Life and that's you Mnemonic.

With things going touchscreen and hand gesture (I've spoken to guys developing an interface for your mobile based on eyebrow movement and head tweaks), the current method using in Windows, OSX etc etc will have to change. Apple's new Lion OSX has a lot of functionality from iOS integrated, Win8 will be similar. Tiny icons and fiddly menus will disappear while hand gesture recognition will get better. Voice is also getting better, Google has already sampled the entire worldwide voice pattern through one of their beta systems, next we will have alpha waves read so you can just think what you want and it will happen...decades off, but the very basic stuff is already in place.

So you fairly went off on a tangent there. I think you're missing the point.

I have had a mac for 3 years now and would never go back. Windows Operating systems are a load of shit.

It's swings and roundabouts really. OSX is a *******ised form of UNIX with a fancy GUI overlay. Nothing that special about it. You could perceive it to work better as it is running off Apple hardware, therefore the OS itself is optimised for that hardware. As Apple control both, they build OSX only for their own hardware while Microsoft build Windows for anything and everything. In that difference you have Windows glitches and faults. But if Microsoft built Windows for specific hardware, it would have limited appeal...say 5% of the market? Ah...just like Apple :D

So you fairly went off on a tangent there. I think you're missing the point.

I wasn't trying to make a point. Feel free to enlighten though.

it would have limited appeal...say 5% of the market? Ah...just like Apple :D

Where do you get 5% from? I presume you aren't counting ipads as a PC in this instance.

Also, I would rather be in a 5% of sound ****s who like their computers to actually work than a 95% of geeks who hate macs because it doesn't let them play world of Warcraft. :smuggy:

BoJack Horseman

Where do you get 5% from? I presume you aren't counting ipads as a PC in this instance.

Also, I would rather be in a 5% of sound ****s who like their computers to actually work than a 95% of geeks who hate macs because it doesn't let them play world of Warcraft. :smuggy:

:vrface:

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Someone's awfully touchy :(

5% is your standard market share for Mac, they've only ever hit the giddy heights of 10% once around 2009. Not counting iPads no, it's a different market segment. Macs are just a royal pain in the arse to us geeks. Spend too much time diagnosing network issues that usually just boil down to the fact that Mac wireless drivers are shite.

Archived