SPL reconstruction vote to be held in April

mahgrassyshoes

mahgrassyshoes

The Scottish Premier League will finally take a vote on reconstruction next month. The clubs were due to meet next week, but the vote meeting has been cancelled due to the international week.

The SPL is keen to push for a top league of 10 with a second tier of 12, although several members have voiced concerns over the plans.

The 12 club chairmen will now be asked to make a decision on the proposals on Monday 18 April.

In January, SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster said consensus was being sought for a top league of 10 and a second tier of 12.

However, some clubs still required convincing over the merits of a smaller SPL and the viability of plans to increase financial help for those suffering relegation.

Former first minister Henry McLeish delivered a report on the future of Scottish football to the Scottish Football Association in December and stated that a 10-team top division was the most financially viable future model for the SPL.

From BBC website http://news.bbc.co.u...rem/9426660.stm

I see it's now back to whatever is most finacially viable is the best option to get us off our last legs.

I personally think that a return of the reserve league and a better share of the monies would help more.

I'm not completely adverse to going to 10 as long as there was some kind of written contract that said in 5 years or so once clubs have become more finacially stable the league would be moved to a bigger structure to promote introducing youth and to help increase the variety of teams and improve the quality of the football etc etc.

Charlie-Brown

It would be a wonderful birthday present if they voted against implementing this cretinous-doomed-to-failure plan

hopefully the clubs who were most vocally against it (hearts, ICT & kilmarnock) are still of a mind to seek whatever agreements/concessions before lending their votes to it, and wont back down under pressure from others.

if the agreement isn't reached and the vote fails, inevitably there will be the usual frothing at the mouth from the old firm and some others about how some are harming the common good by daring not to cave in.

the whole affair has been conducted in a terribly backwards and disfunctional manner already. not a bad effort really considering it's scottish football.

Guest juvehearts

a 10 team spl might be financially viable,

the fans of these teams dont want a 10 team SPL & will vote with their feet making it financially unstable

we want a 16/18 team SPL with a reserve league or colt teams in the SFL

bring the SPL & SFL under SFA rule & when a meeting is caled te can all head out the office to the ****ing conference room

its an absolute joke that we have 3 separate professional originations in top flight football in scotland.

juve

a 10 team spl might be financially viable,

the fans of these teams dont want a 10 team SPL & will vote with their feet making it financially unstable

we want a 16/18 team SPL with a reserve league or colt teams in the SFL

bring the SPL & SFL under SFA rule & when a meeting is caled te can all head out the office to the ****ing conference room

its an absolute joke that we have 3 separate professional originations in top flight football in scotland.

juve

I doubt it Juve

We'll moan a bit ( as we have done quite loudly already ) but I imagine we'll pitch up as usual !

Archived