Jum Cruickshank Gala Night 14Dec 1975 - Looking For Help

andythejambo

andythejambo

Folks,

I know this is a long shot - can anyone confirm if Willie Bauld attended Jim Cruickshank's Gala Night at the Odeon Cinema on 14th December 1975.

I'm sure I remember seeing him in the Foyer signing autographs.

But after 35 years - I'm not sure if my mind is playing tricks or not.

I'd be grateful for any comments to confirm.

Thanks

Andy

grumpyjambo

i am pretty sure he was not there as he was still having nothing to do with Hearts at that point.

Francis Albert

Don't know the answer but the fact that the King was still having nothing to do with the club isn't I think conclusive - if I remember correctly the gala was organised by the fans not the club.

Just checked and Willie attended (officially) his first game at Tynecastle in 14 years in January 1975, a cup tie against Kilmarnock, so in fact his estrangement from the club was over by the Cruickie gala.

(In the first 1874 magazine, Rob Bauld, Willie's nephew revealed that Willie actually attended the August 1974 centenary game against Spurs despite refusing the club's official invite, indicating again that his disenchantment was with the people who ran the club, not Hearts and their fans)).

davidjambo51

Hi - I was there and have the programme for Jim's Gala night and Willie Bauld was there taking part in a sports forum with Eddie Thomson and Bob Crampsey.

It was a great night and tribute to a legend.

Teuchterjambo

Memory may be letting me down but I think Willie Bauld had maybe set aside the differences by then - I think I can remember the great man being at the opening game of the 1974/75 season when the centeneray flag was unfurled, whether it was on an official invite I don't know but I remember him being introduced to the crowd as he took his seat in the main stand. I think the fixture was v Motherwell and he got a wonderful reception.

grumpyjambo

Hi - I was there and have the programme for Jim's Gala night and Willie Bauld was there taking part in a sports forum with Eddie Thomson and Bob Crampsey.

I came across the programme the other week, must go and find it again.

Don't know the answer but the fact that the King was still having nothing to do with the club isn't I think conclusive - if I remember correctly the gala was organised by the fans not the club.

Just checked and Willie attended (officially) his first game at Tynecastle in 14 years in January 1975, a cup tie against Kilmarnock, so in fact his estrangement from the club was over by the Cruickie gala.

(In the first 1874 magazine, Rob Bauld, Willie's nephew revealed that Willie actually attended the August 1974 centenary game against Spurs despite refusing the club's official invite, indicating again that his disenchantment was with the people who ran the club, not Hearts and their fans)).

Is it my memory playing tricks or was Willie Bauld a guest in the Sportscene studios at the Kille game? - the highlights were televised. I am sure he was asked what he thought of Drew Busby (who I believe scored both goals in a 2-0 win that night)and as I recall he replied that he was very impressed by Busby's aeriel abilities.

Is it my memory playing tricks or was Willie Bauld a guest in the Sportscene studios at the Kille game? - the highlights were televised. I am sure he was asked what he thought of Drew Busby (who I believe scored both goals in a 2-0 win that night)and as I recall he replied that he was very impressed by Busby's aeriel abilities.

i think your mind will be playing tricks, Willie Bauld attended the Killie cup game ,and got a standing ovation when he took his seat in the directors box, (his nephew was the mascot) the game took place on a wednesday night so unless he took concorde he wont have been in the sportscene Glasgow studio after the game,but you are correct the game was televised.

as a footnote, the night Willie Bauld died in march 1977 he had attended the Longstone Hearts supporters club, and i have seen a pic taken on the night, its a truly legendary Hearts photo, unfortunatley taken on an Kodak Instematic camera, but standing shoulder to shoulder are Willie Bauld Tommy Walker Barney Battles and Donald Ford, the guy who owns this photo is very proud of it and is quite secretive about it , as tho its some Holy shroud, but ive seen it and it does exist, and should Hearts ever open a museum it truly is a piece of history.

andythejambo

Brilliant - I was sure that he was there, but just needed someone to confirm. I'm doing the toast to Willie at the Willie Bauld Dinner on Saturday, so wanted to make sure my facts were correct.

Many thanks,

Andy

Francis Albert

Not in the Sportscene studios, but he was quoted in the press the following day to the effect that he would have been proud to score the header that Busby put away that night, which, in my (somewhat unreliable) memory, was the second and clinching goal.

Guest Dipped Flake

Excuse my ignorance, but what was the Jim Cruickshank gala night?

I was organised by the fans as a tribute to him, he had fallen out with the club. It was held at the Odeon. The atmosphere was superb that night

Dougie Masterton

I was organised by the fans as a tribute to him, he had fallen out with the club. It was held at the Odeon. The atmosphere was superb that night

I thought it was in the Usher hall?

Dougie, Most definitley The Odeon and I have my wee pict of me and Cruikie and I have one of his Scotland Caps on, fitted real good :thumbsup:

Anyway. for those who were there, who can remember who the team was that Bob Crampsy mentioned in making a comparison with the name Heart Of Midlothian and what was the comparison he made. There is a prize for the correct answer......OK Maybe not :ninja:

andythejambo

Dougie, Most definitley The Odeon and I have my wee pict of me and Cruikie and I have one of his Scotland Caps on, fitted real good :thumbsup:

Anyway. for those who were there, who can remember who the team was that Bob Crampsy mentioned in making a comparison with the name Heart Of Midlothian and what was the comparison he made. There is a prize for the correct answer......OK Maybe not :ninja:

Was it "Queen Of the South ?" and was the subject "Most Romantic name in World Football"

Was it "Queen Of the South ?" and was the subject "Most Romantic name in World Football"

I knew someone would "kinda" get it but to get it 100% is pretty impressive. It always stuck in my mind that did.

Not in the Sportscene studios, but he was quoted in the press the following day to the effect that he would have been proud to score the header that Busby put away that night, which, in my (somewhat unreliable) memory, was the second and clinching goal.

I never could tell the difference between the telly and the papers! Cheers for putting me right on this!

Archived