Modern Football Myth

RoyCropper

Watching the Man Utd game and it got me thinking. Been watching this over a few Man Utd games this season.

I believe the notion that Paul Scholes cant tackle is a myth and he is infact a dirty *******.

Dont get me wrong, one the finest players of this generation but some of the tackles he puts in are bad. It seems commonly accepted he cant tackle and because of this he gets away with it.

Google research tells me Arsene Wenger has alreadly suggested this in a round about way.

Discuss.

By the way, im not talking this tackle. :yucky:

http://nominated.homestead.com/files/muppets1.jpg

He knows exactly what he's doing he gets so many yellows that its also a myth that he gets away with it. Super player though best passer I've ever seen

Completely agree.

A few years ago he was mesmerising to watch.

Now he's slow.

But he's always been vicious in the tackle.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy said it was a myth and in fact, Scholes was just a sneaky git (and actually a pretty good tackler). Kick them early doors, or when someone is getting to close to him and hey presto, more room to play with.

Whether Ruud is right or not is another matter.

jamboinglasgow

He knows exactly what he's doing he gets so many yellows that its also a myth that he gets away with it. Super player though best passer I've ever seen

agree with all of that.

I remember hearing a season ago, that one of the united players said it still amazes him whenever during a training session, Scholes can put the ball from distance perfectly on the head of one of his teammates...urinating at the side of the pitch.

Completely agree.

Now he's slow.

slow or not his passing is mostly still outstanding

Dare say some of his challenges have been malicious, but I genuinely believe it's not in his character and that most of his cautions have been clumsy- some bordering on the comical. Fine player and one who is even grudgingly admired by many, many Manchester City supporters.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I honestly believe Scholes is an over-rated ginger pleb and people jump on the bandwagon when gushing over him. He just doesn't compare to someone like Giggs for example.

How do you feel about that, JKB?

I honestly believe Scholes is an over-rated ginger pleb and people jump on the bandwagon when gushing over him. He just doesn't compare to someone like Giggs for example.

I'll tell you what I think!

I think you're correct.

Age has not been as good to him as it has with Giggs but he is still one of the best midfield players in the EPL when on his game.Maybe that sheds the EPL in a poor light though.Also when the best players in the game praise the guy he must have been doing something right.He us the best English central midfield player of his generation IMO better than Gerrard and Lampard.

jack D and coke

Him and Giggs are the two consistently outstanding players of the last 15 years. Giggs being the better one i reckon though. You don't keep a place in a team that wins as much as United's for that long if you don't have it. Scholes is still a wonderful player on his day that can still hack it at the top level.

Agree that the tackling thing is a myth and he's actually quite a nasty little git.

Should've been off in the Arsenal cup tie.

669 appearance for one of the biggest clubs in the world, 150 goals, 9 Premier League titles, 2 Champions Leagues, 3 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, 1 Intercontinental Cup and 1 World Club Cup.

Not bad for an 'over-rated ginger pleb'.

:verysmug:

that you are mental and he's the best English player of the last 30 years.

hmfc_liam06

I believe your opinion on this subject is the real reason Sky sacked you.

Only a few short weeks ago Xavi came out and said Scholes was the best Midfielder he had ever seen.

Now i may be wrong but im pretty sure Xavi of all people would know a midfielder when he sees one! Im quite prepared to believe him over the absolute tripe you have posted!!!!

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I think he's one of the finest midfielders that Britain's produced and that I'm not one to argue with Xavi, Zidane, Henry, Davids etc.

He's an outstanding player, wouldn't say he's overrated at all. You can't question his ability and what he's given to that Man Utd side over the years.

I don't like the way he gets treated in the media when he makes his tackles, though. He puts in some pretty shocking tackles and the commentator just goes "LOL TACKLING WAS NEVER PART OF HIS GAME LOL", if it was anyone else he'd be getting slaughtered for some of those wreckless fouls by the media.

I believe your opinion on this subject is the real reason Sky sacked you.

:thumbsup::lol:

Only a few short weeks ago Xavi came out and said Scholes was the best Midfielder he had ever seen.

Now i may be wrong but im pretty sure Xavi of all people would know a midfielder when he sees one! Im quite prepared to believe him over the absolute tripe you have posted!!!!

Xavi doesn't have a clue.

This fishing trip went quite well.

Charlie-Brown

No he didn't - he said Scholes was the best he'd seen in the last 15 years - he mentioned other players he also rated including several English players like Le Tissier and Waddle.

No he didn't - he said Scholes was the best he'd seen in the last 15 years - he mentioned other players he also rated including several English players like Le Tissier and Waddle.

It's not like JayJay to make stuff up.

:verysmug:

Despite my Man U feelings Scholes is one of the reasons I hope they never wipe out suspensions to allow players to make finals.

Scholes (and Keane) fully deserved to miss the CL final in 1999. Keane (like Souness) at times was just down right evil, but you'll struggle to find a more callous tackler in UK football than Scholes.

Whilst what I think you say is too strong there is truth in it.

The media highlight and gush over basically ANYTHING that Giggs and Scholes do well but never, ever highlight the numerous mistakes that both players now make.

In their day - brilliant.

On their day now - brilliant. But they aren't on their day very often these days IMO.

jamboinglasgow

Andy Gray, the punk poster of kickback

Scholes is a good player but the best passer of the ball I've ever seen is Xabi Alonso. He is a cut above for me.

Completely agree.

Now he's slow.

Nearly all of Man United's homegrown players have the vicious gene.

Darren Fletcher, David Beckham, Nicky Butt, the 2 x Neville brothers, Paul Scholes, John O'Shea and others are all capable of putting in some nasty challenges, especially when things are not going their way.

Archived