I'd prefer a cup run

The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

Am I alone in feeling this way?

I've just seen the draw for the Scottish Cup semi final, and had we still been in the hat then we would have had to play either Motherwell or Dundee United for a place in the final, probably against Celtic (but ICT may shock them)

Don't get me wrong, the league run was good whilst it lasted, but we were never going to be strong enough to sustain a proper challenge and I feel that we have nothing now left to play for and it's all went a bit stale, and I just wish that JJ had put out our best team to take care of St Johnstone, and the club didn't take the silly decision to shut the Wheatfield Stand which played right into St Johnstone's hands.

You can't beat a good away trip to Hampden with Hearts, and we've not had one since 2006, my liver has recovered enough now that I need a few more to damage it again! :thumbsup:

Cup run always better, league run only worthwhile if there's a CL place for 2nd or we have a ?10m pot of gold for buying some talent...which is of course likely :rolleyes:

League run is better IMO Of course a cup run is fantastic but we'l have our day again before long and the belief we had after beating Rangers about challenging for the title was so exciting, i for one really enjoyed it! Most importantly though, i think if we can manage to consistantly finish 3rd year after year and regularly play european football it would be a huge step forward for the club and we can build from there.

Francis Albert

Don't see the need to choose. In our two most recent cup winning seasons we also had very decent league runs.

Being good enough to have a run in the league SHOULD improve your chances of a good cup run (as Dundee United to some extent showed also last year) and that was part of the reason why our non-appearance against St Johnstone (Wheatfield or no Wheatfield) was so disappointing.

As a different question - cup win or a league run and second place, and it would be cup win every time (CL qualifier place or not).

If we had someone who actually wanted to have a go the league is a much better prospect. Though we may never win it anytime soon. Getting in the Europa group stages would me much better than a cup run financially, not to mention a lot more exciting.

Johanes de Silentio

You can't beat a good away trip to Hampden with Hearts, and we've not had one since 2006, my liver has recovered enough now that I need a few more to damage it again! :thumbsup:

Recent NHS stats recently announced no such liver problems in the Lochend area! :thumbsup:

If we had someone who actually wanted to have a go the league is a much better prospect. Though we may never win it anytime soon. Getting in the Europa group stages would me much better than a cup run financially, not to mention a lot more exciting.

Another dig at JJ from you :rolleyes:

We could easily have had both if (like you said) we never approached the cup in such an arrogant manner this season.

Ryan Gosling

:random:

The Old Tolbooth

I tend to agree with that (and also Francis Albert above)

However, my thinking is that with Europe being seeded the way it is nowadays, then the chances of making the Europa League group stages again are very slim, it's almost been ruined by the seeding system in place now for me.

I think I just felt a bit down when I saw the cup draw and thought that it could have/should have been us :(

mahgrassyshoes

I just watched the football years from 1986 and i was thinking how good it must have felt going up to Dens and thinking we're going to win the league. Might not have ended the greatest but if it was a repeat of that I would definitely choose that over a run to the final and getting beat.

Another dig at JJ from you :rolleyes:

I'm sorry if I'm the only one upset from our submittion in the past couple of games. JJ has proved he is a good motavator so what happened the past couple of games...

Anyway let's just leave it be. League is better than a cup run by a mile.

The Old Tolbooth

We'll ignore the CIS Cup semi final against Rangers in 2008, then?

I forgot about that, the infamous Fergusin "basketball" move to slam dunk der hun into the lead. :verymad:

JJ's first game in charge was a semi final at Fir Park too, I was a tad pished that day iirc :whistling:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I've just seen the draw for the Scottish Cup semi final, and had we still been in the hat then we would have had to play either Motherwell or Dundee United for a place in the final, probably against Celtic (but ICT may shock them)

Don't get me wrong, the league run was good whilst it lasted, but we were never going to be strong enough to sustain a proper challenge and I feel that we have nothing now left to play for and it's all went a bit stale, and I just wish that JJ had put out our best team to take care of St Johnstone, and the club didn't take the silly decision to shut the Wheatfield Stand which played right into St Johnstone's hands.

I'd prefer a cup win but a cup run does nothing for us if we do not win the thing or lose the final to the champions.

League run gives us some Euro football and helps bring the players on but a Cup run does nothing unless we win it... Which is much better than a third place finish.

Obviously a league win would trump the lot though. :thumbsup:

I know you`re having a wee lighthearted take on things JM, but what`s wrong with both? Its been done before and for a club like Hearts it shouldn`t be out of our capabilities.

Don`t like retrospective questions really, they annoy me! :D what happens happens, simple, and if we`d beaten St Johnstone we might still be in the cup along with a good league position and we`d all be happy as larry.

Stale is what the season has become without a cup run. I've got to say I'm rather bored now.

As for the Europa league, think on if you imagine that our squad would even qualify for it. And in the case of the actual games, I'm afraid we'd simply get reamed in each tie.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I know you`re having a wee lighthearted take on things JM, but what`s wrong with both? Its been done before and for a club like Hearts it shouldn`t be out of our capabilities.

Don`t like retrospective questions really, they annoy me! :D what happens happens, simple, and if we`d beaten St Johnstone we might still be in the cup along with a good league position and we`d all be happy as David

Fixed that for you bud!

0,,10289%7E9029667,00.jpg

Craig Herbertson

I think it's got to be both. We have to think on the lines of pushing for a league title - despite the difficulty of it. In the meantime we have to battle for the cups every year. We shouldn't relax in any games apart from friendlies. We haven't got the resources to make it a level playing field but the more we think like winners the more likely we will win something. That comes from taking each game as a life and death struggle. Celtic and Rangers do it week in week out. We can't match their resources at the moment but we can reduce the gap. I'd like to see us pressing for the league while we win the cups as a bonus.

The Old Tolbooth

Don`t like retrospective questions really, they annoy me! :D what happens happens, simple, and if we`d beaten St Johnstone we might still be in the cup along with a good league position and we`d all be happy as larry.

I was trying not to be greedy :P

I think the St Johnstone game is still rankling me a bit mate, we'd be all but guaranteed a Hampden day out had we just applied ourselves properly that day.

Francis Albert

Stale is what the season has become without a cup run. I've got to say I'm rather bored now.

As for the Europa league, think on if you imagine that our squad would even qualify for it. And in the case of the actual games, I'm afraid we'd simply get reamed in each tie.

Sounds like you are already bored with the prospect of European games next season!

ToadKiller Dog

How can you say the season has become stale . We have a craker of a game this Wednesday at Tannadump they are finding form we may need to refind our form. Win that then we are secure lose that then it could become a bit nervy .

Teams see us as a scalp look how much it ment to Killie to win at Tynecastle .

At this time given recent form its no sure thing we will win all our games .

No doubt the Arabs will be up for this question is will we ? .

Still a bit to play for .

We would have had to play either Motherwell or Dundee United for a place in the final, probably against Celtic (but ICT may shock them)

Normally I'd be delighted if ICT knocked out Celtic, have just realised reading this thread though that if they win the semi will be played on 16th or 17th and our game against ICT on 16th will be moved - I booked my (non-refundable) flight to Inverness about 3 weeks ago so I'm in the horrible position of genuinely wanting Celtic to win :unsure:

Sterling Archer

I'm sorry if I'm the only one upset from our submittion in the past couple of games. JJ has proved he is a good motavator so what happened the past couple of games...

Anyway let's just leave it be. League is better than a cup run by a mile.

cb-angry.jpg

It's SUBMISSION dammit.

Only a Game

Normally I'd be delighted if ICT knocked out Celtic, have just realised reading this thread though that if they win the semi will be played on 16th or 17th and our game against ICT on 16th will be moved - I booked my (non-refundable) flight to Inverness about 3 weeks ago so I'm in the horrible position of genuinely wanting Celtic to win :unsure:

The other thing is that we might need Celtic to WIn the cup to advance us one round forward in Europe and not have to start the season in late June/early July.

As far as cup run vs league run is concerned then Yes I'd swap a cup final day out and a chance of a trophy for 3rd or 4th place. Only getting to the final would count as a decent enough cup run though.

We're just about due a really decent Big cup run.

Sounds like you are already bored with the prospect of European games next season!

Well given how Hearts & others Scottish teams have performed in the Europa, do you really blame me?

Only a Game

How can you say the season has become stale . We have a craker of a game this Wednesday at Tannadump they are finding form we may need to refind our form. Win that then we are secure lose that then it could become a bit nervy .

Teams see us as a scalp look how much it ment to Killie to win at Tynecastle .

At this time given recent form its no sure thing we will win all our games .

No doubt the Arabs will be up for this question is will we ? .

Still a bit to play for .

Its a bit stale because we've become a bit stale as a team to be honest. Hopefully we can shake ourselves out of it and finish as close to the OF as possible.

Only a Game

Well given how Hearts & others Scottish teams have performed in the Europa, do you really blame me?

I think we have had 3 teams in the group stages in recent years and, correct me if I am wrong, they all qualified to go further ?

Its harder now to get to the group stages from scratch, but not impossible. Get a decent away/home draw in the round before, score away from home and still have something to play for at Tynecastle and its not impossible to qualify.

We'd give anyone a game at Tynecastle in Europe IMO, particularly the Europa league

Francis Albert

I don't care much about other Scottish teams but I think we.ve succeeded in one out of two attempts to qualify for the Europa Group stages, a 50% record - hardly reason to despair of any possibility of doing it again. On both occasions we had pretty tough draws in the qualifying round - Braga were no slouches, and of course neither were Dinamo Zagreb. In the latter case we simply didn't perform at all in the first leg - if we'd turned up that night we might have had a chance. Also once in the Group stages we were hardly "reamed" in every game - arguably in just one out of four (hardly a disgrace at Feyenoord), and it was the toughest Group in that year's competition - all but Ferencvaros would not have looked out of place in the CL Group stage.

shaun.lawson

I think we have had 3 teams in the group stages in recent years and, correct me if I am wrong, they all qualified to go further ?

Its harder now to get to the group stages from scratch, but not impossible. Get a decent away/home draw in the round before, score away from home and still have something to play for at Tynecastle and its not impossible to qualify.

We'd give anyone a game at Tynecastle in Europe IMO, particularly the Europa league

Only two non-OF sides have ever reached the Europa/UEFA group stages. Aberdeen, who went further thanks mainly to incredible jamminess; and ourselves, eliminated in a very tough group. This season, remarkably, even Celtic didn't make the group stage.

Only two non-OF sides have ever reached the Europa/UEFA group stages. Aberdeen, who went further thanks mainly to incredible jamminess; and ourselves, eliminated in a very tough group. This season, remarkably, even Celtic didn't make the group stage.

Total farce that they got through.

Think they had the lowest points total for any side to ever get through with.

Adi Dassler

There is nothing better than Hampden in the sun.

It gets slated as a National stadium and not without reason but i lap it up.

There is not a better sight in the world than thousands of Jambos swarming all over Mount Florida during April/May.

I don't think i've ever been prouder than before the 1996 final during Cum on Feel the Noize (and if anyone can find a video of that it'd be barry).

I was trying not to be greedy :P

I think the St Johnstone game is still rankling me a bit mate, we'd be all but guaranteed a Hampden day out had we just applied ourselves properly that day.

Totally agree and that defeat still nags at me too. We`ve not lost much this season, but it must rank as the worst performance of the season in defeat. Personally, i was pretty angry afterwards.

Problem Officer?

The defeat to St Johnstone was worse than the 4-0 loss to Celtic.

Radioactive Mince

We'll ignore the CIS Cup semi final against Rangers in 2008, then?

Both LC semis of recent seasons were disgraceful let-downs for different reasons.

If these are examples of 'cup runs' I'd rather a 3rd, or even 4th, placed league finish.

I think all cup runs are shit unless we win the things. Europe is different, of course, as we're never gonna win a trophy.

There's few greater sights than the streets around Hampden turned into a sea of maroon on a sunny day in May.

Let's face it though, our cup form over the last few seasons has been dreadful. Over the last three seasons we've been knocked out of the cups by St Mirren, Falkirk (twice), Airdrie, Aberdeen and St Johnstone.

I really hope that next season JJ gets the team up for the cup games and we get to at least 1 final.

Archived