We hate Jimmy Hill he's a poof.....

jambodan

he's a poof...! Great wee song from the 70's - 80s. I don't think for one minute that the big chinned gobshite pundit was a homo but made me laugh at the time. Thats all.

:thumbsup:

My dad told me about why the jimmy hatred started.

Apparently when Scotland scored a screamer against Brazil, jimmy said it wad a toe poke :vrface:

Not sure what his sexual orientation is though. :ninja:

Jimmy Hill actually liked that scotland fans sang about him. I'm sure I saw him on that Offside show with Tam Cowan saying as much

shaun.lawson

Scotland fans were still singing it in 1996. I thought it was hilarious. The Chin was nothing short of an institution in English football, and probably took the song as a backhanded compliment. His constant rows with Hansen on MOTD in the early 90s were brilliant.

When I was a kid I met Jimmy Hill at the airport in London on the way home from a holiday. Me, my wee brother and my mum were the last three people due to board the plane. Jimmy tried to push past us and and nick our seats because he was a famous A-hole and clearly had priority over a mother and her two kids. What a guy.

Teuchterjambo

My dad told me about why the jimmy hatred started.

Apparently when Scotland scored a screamer against Brazil, jimmy said it wad a toe poke :vrface:

Not sure what his sexual orientation is though. :ninja:

It was on the go years before that but JH loved it. I was at the 82 World Cup and at the first game v N Zealand in Malaga Jimmy Hill was on the TV gantry and the Scottish fans were giving it the "I hate Jimmy Hill" ong right below him and Jimmy was standing up conducting the choir loving every minute of it.

I had the pleasure of meeting him after a Fulham friendly v Ross County - an absolute gentleman who gave a huge amount to the game and to Fulham FC in particular and he actually had a soft spot for the Scots.

Scotland fans were still singing it in 1996. I thought it was hilarious. The Chin was nothing short of an institution in English football, and probably took the song as a backhanded compliment. His constant rows with Hansen on MOTD in the early 90s were brilliant.

I remember it being sung at my first few Scotland games which I think were around 1994.

It was still being sung at my last Scotland match - in 1997.

Can't believe it's been 14 years since I've been to a Scotland match.

J Cheever Loophole
Toe poke my snarse, I was 21 and the next morning I woke up missing my plate,I heard the birds screeching out side and there was my plate in a pile of vomit.I've sung that song at Wembley 3,Cardiff2 and at Hampden on many an occasion, its good to singthumbsup.gif

Buffalo Bill

It was a terific goal but all it served to do was make Brazil angry, and thanks to an indolent peformance from Alan Rough, Brazil ran out comfortable winners.

As for Jimmy Hill, I liked him. I used to enjoy his show on Sky, 'Jimmy Hill's Sunday Supplement' - which drove my poor wife crazy.

jh.jpg

I P Knightley

A few English mates I met after the Euro '96 match spent most of the evening piping up with the Jimmy Hill song having been stood next to the Scottish section of the crowd for the game & loved the song.

I'd spent the match diametrically opposite the Scots and there was heehaw good songs coming from the (mainly) English crowd around me. Miserably gitts...

I am sure that Bobby Moore never wore a bra either......ah the days before political correctness.thumbsup.gif

Would that be "Bobby Moore, Superstar"??

If so, I could have sworn that he did wear a bra; frilly knickers and a bra, to be precise...

Goldstone Wonder

If so, I could have sworn that he did wear a bra; frilly knickers and a bra, to be precise...

Frilly knickers and a Playtex bra to be uberprecise.

Guess The Crowd

It was on the go years before that but JH loved it. I was at the 82 World Cup and at the first game v N Zealand in Malaga Jimmy Hill was on the TV gantry and the Scottish fans were giving it the "I hate Jimmy Hill" ong right below him and Jimmy was standing up conducting the choir loving every minute of it.

I had the pleasure of meeting him after a Fulham friendly v Ross County - an absolute gentleman who gave a huge amount to the game and to Fulham FC in particular and he actually had a soft spot for the Scots.

I was there too and also at the famous Brazil / David Narey game (the Highlands well-represented!).

Even funnier, in some ways, was the New Zealand-Russia match in Malaga - New Zealand had 500 fans there, Russia none at all, but the ground was still packed with Scotsmen singing about the sexual orientation of an English pundit! The locals were bemused, great days.

The People's Chimp

Still sung at Scotland games.

True dat.

A mate has a "WE HATE JIMMY HILL" scarf somewhere. Good times.

See through bra - surely? :unsure:

I thought it was "walks like a woman and he wears a bra"

It's a miracle any songs ever happen at matches as everyone has different versions of them.

Hagar the Horrible

True dat.

A mate has a "WE HATE JIMMY HILL" scarf somewhere. Good times.

It was sung during the 1978 world cup qualifyers, when i first started going to Tinternationals, but now if the Tratan Army still hate the guy, then he is my best mate. nah the guy has always been ok, he is just passionate about his country the same way as the TA used to be before they becames frontbums. in those days the Ingerlsuh were never that bothered about internationals. I think he was the guy who indroduced red/yellow cards and three points for a win. he might have also been responsible for substitues too.

We like Jimmy Hill hes ok hes ok

go on somebody take the bait!

Guest Dipped Flake

Jimmy Hill has always had a soft spot for the Scots fans and, whisper it, most Scots fans actually like him too and don't actually think he is a poof (not that there is anything wrong with that lifestyle for all the pc brigade). He did state Narey's goal was a toe poke but, apart from that, not a bad lad at all.

I was there too and also at the famous Brazil / David Narey game (the Highlands well-represented!).

Even funnier, in some ways, was the New Zealand-Russia match in Malaga - New Zealand had 500 fans there, Russia none at all, but the ground was still packed with Scotsmen singing about the sexual orientation of an English pundit! The locals were bemused, great days.

Did you see the BIG banner, that someone brought/made for the Russian game 'ALCOHOLISM v COMMUNISM' other little ditties of banners to be seen around Malaga and Seville 'Spanish bedsheeets make great banners' and 'Hansen never lets a day-go by'

Absolutely a fantastic footie experience. Watching the England/Germany game with a bunch of english fans and being the only ones cheering on Der Hun, in an ironical fashion, no-one got hurt. Being in a Spanish resturaunt watching N I play Spain when Martin O'Neal scored, trying to keep my mate from cheering too much that so we wouldn't attract the locals attention. Having a photo of the scoreboard at Seville that read 'Brasiilia 0 Escossia 1' pity the game didn't end there!

My one and only World Cup exploit, Magic.

Buffalo Bill

I always felt that the issue here wasn't so much Jimmy Hill, but the football's relationship with the 'toe-poke'; as if somehow, a toe-poke is an ugly, or immoral way to score.

I remember Ronaldo's goal at the 2002 World Cup semi final, and how everyone raved about it (and him).

Narey might well have toe-poked it, but it was still a great strike, and maybe the inspiration for Ronaldo twenty years later.

I remember a sketch from Only An Excuse just prior to World Cup '98 that went something like:

Jimmy Hill: The Scottish fans have been great, helping me out with my French. For example - 'Bonjour' means 'Hello', 'Au Revoir' means 'Goodbye', and 'Je deteste Jimmy Hill, il est poof, il est poof' means "my name's Jimmy Hill, i'm from the BBC'

Genuinely made me laugh out loud that one did :lol:

Think we could do a sellik and steal this one - we hate calderwood, he's a p o o f, he's a p o o f.

shaun.lawson

Narey might well have toe-poked it, but it was still a great strike, and maybe the inspiration for Ronaldo twenty years later.

This reads suspiciously like:

"Scotland 1982 - we taught Brazil how to play!"

:lol:

This reads suspiciously like:

"Scotland 1982 - we taught Brazil how to play!"

:lol:

Except he is talking about Cristiano ya mup.

shaun.lawson

Except he is talking about Cristiano ya mup.

When did C. Ronaldo score in the 2002 World Cup semi-final?

When did C. Ronaldo score in the 2002 World Cup semi-final?

Hmmm suppose I should read the whole thread before butting in I guess.

I thought he was talking about Cristiano technique when taking FK's.

:vrface:

That was Georgie Best surely?

Teuchterjambo

It was probably the best holiday I ever had, we stayed in Nerja and for the Brazil game the guy who ran the local bar saw the potential and arranged a bus for all the fans and of course filled it with booze to sell to us for the journey but he wasn't quite prepared for what was in store - had to stop in Malaga on the way to stock up with more drink as there was no way what he had was going to do.

When I got into the ground in Seville we found our seats and turned round only to find there was a full bunch of guys, many of whom I knew from Avoch, turned out our travel agent must have got a block booking on the tickets and I looked around and there I was surrounded by Highlanders - small world but great crack.

I was at the NZ/Russia game as well - priceless !

Teuchterjambo

Did you see the BIG banner, that someone brought/made for the Russian game 'ALCOHOLISM v COMMUNISM' other little ditties of banners to be seen around Malaga and Seville 'Spanish bedsheeets make great banners' and 'Hansen never lets a day-go by'

Absolutely a fantastic footie experience. Watching the England/Germany game with a bunch of english fans and being the only ones cheering on Der Hun, in an ironical fashion, no-one got hurt. Being in a Spanish resturaunt watching N I play Spain when Martin O'Neal scored, trying to keep my mate from cheering too much that so we wouldn't attract the locals attention. Having a photo of the scoreboard at Seville that read 'Brasiilia 0 Escossia 1' pity the game didn't end there!

My one and only World Cup exploit, Magic.

i remember that banner and sure I have a photo of it somewhere - had similar experiences to you watching the English and Spanish games, I remember the Spaniards being amazed that we were not supporting England , then I asked them "Do you support Portugal when Spain are not playing ? " and he soon understood !

The atmosphere before the first game against NZ was amazing - we were in a wee pub on the corner just outside the ground and we had arrived early and the beer was really cheap. The owner had never seen anything like it but was obviously a man with an eye for a swift buck and the cost of the beer went up every time we went to the bar but it was absolutely brilliant.

My only WC exploit too but never to be forgotten.

grumpyespana

he's a poof...! Great wee song from the 70's - 80s. I don't think for one minute that the big chinned gobshite pundit was a homo but made me laugh at the time. Thats all.

Remember a couple of years ago after dropping my wife off at Alicante airport I popped into Benidorm and found this scottish pub, had a irn bru and a read of the daily ranker also on the wall was a poster of Jimmy hill and underneath was written in bold JIMMY HILL HE WAS A POOF lol my type of pub.

Grumpy.

Adi Dassler

You talk about World Cups but you forget a whole generation have never experienced it.

One of my regrets that actually, that i didn't go to France in '98 when i was 18.

Probably the last WC that the fans were a genuine part of, before they priced us all out.

Archived