Rory Mcallister

bigsuperslim1874

bigsuperslim1874

I have thot it strange that no-one, never mind us, haa made a move to bring him to the SPL. Sounds like he is ripping the sainties a new one today and consistantly scores more than 20 a season.

Apparently pacy and powerful which we dont really have - i did hear a pundit make reference to his 'proper job' which pays really well and that is why he has never made the step-up. Dunno if true but i think he would be worth a shout.

Howdy Doody Jambo

He is not good enough to take us to a better level like winning silverware but would probably be as good as what we have now

Why is he playing for Brechin if he is any good ?

bigsuperslim1874

Fair comments although his record at caley was when he was a youngster - he is only 23 now. I would argue that he would be a FAR better bet than glen, elliott or the obua/stevenson experiments. Smith coming back from stirling may make this immaterial anyway but just think he would be a worth a punt.

Sierra Delta

Sounds like he's having a great game today and causing St Johnstone a lot of problems.

Contract runs out in the summer according to the commentator on the radio. Pretty low risk signing. Could be worth having a look at, maybe.

bigsuperslim1874

I am sure they said on the radio that 40-odd of all the games he played for caley were sub appearances. Maybe a late developer? Cant say any of our strikers have really excelled against the sainties in any of the games against them this season where mcallister seems to be today.

Jambomullins

I agree, worth a punt. It never ceases to amaze me when SPL clubs ignore guys that are too good for the lower leagues and could save a fortune in the process. Snodgrass & Dorrans spring to mind as players who SPL clubs never took a chance on and in truth could no longer afford. Mcallister is a better bet for me than Glen/Mole/Elliot/Obua.

Cue the sceptics and statos..........

bigsuperslim1874

I agree, worth a punt. It never ceases to amaze me when SPL clubs ignore guys that are too good for the lower leagues and could save a fortune in the process. Snodgrass & Dorrans spring to mind as players who SPL clubs never took a chance on and in truth could no longer afford. Mcallister is a better bet for me than Glen/Mole/Elliot/Obua.

Totally agree with this. Deffo worth a gamble - wont break the bank either......

Neither Snodgrass or Dorrans failed at SPL level.

Not good enough IMO.

He is not good enough to take us to a better level like winning silverware but would probably be as good as what we have now

Why is he playing for Brechin if he is any good ?

Because apparently he has a job outside his football that he really enjoys so is in no rush to move anywhere.

rory mc allister was superb today we will soon know if hes good enough for the spl next season as six clubs are keeping an eye on him.his other well paid job is a plumber

Robbo-Jambo

rory mc allister was superb today we will soon know if hes good enough for the spl next season as six clubs are keeping an eye on him.his other well paid job is a plumber

Do you know if we are one of the six ?

bigsuperslim1874

I was sure there were rumblings a few months ago that we were interested - not sure if it was on here or paper talk tho. Hope we are one of the six that are interested at the moment.

Jambomullins

Not good enough IMO.

[/quote

This response doesn't even make sense

Charlie-Brown

Not good enough IMO.

Paul Hartley failed at several clubs at SPL level before he resurrected his career in his mid-20's as a midfielder.

This response doesn't even make sense

It's only a few words long, if you can't get that, I am not sure how to get it over to you.

Paul Hartley failed at several clubs at SPL level before he resurrected his career in his mid-20's as a midfielder.

Not true.

It could only be argued that Paul Hartley failed at Hibs. Even then, he got three more goals in fourteen less appearances with Hibs than McAllister had at ICT. Was he actually at any other "SPL level" clubs prior to coming to us? Anyway, he was played out of position. As soon as St Johnstone moved him into central midfield, he did well for them. As far as I am aware, McAllister has always been played as a striker.

Gigolo-Aunt

It's only a few words long, if you can't get that, I am not sure how to get it over to you.

Not true.

It could only be argued that Paul Hartley failed at Hibs. Even then, he got three more goals in fourteen less appearances with Hibs than McAllister had at ICT. Was he actually at any other "SPL level" clubs prior to coming to us? Anyway, he was played out of position. As soon as St Johnstone moved him into central midfield, he did well for them. As far as I am aware, McAllister has always been played as a striker.

When he was at Raith, the SPL was not on the go yet. If memory serves me correct, he had a good time of it at Raith before (along with several others Scots) headed down to Millwall for about 300k? No real idea how he got on down in England.

His career defo picked up at the Saints, and after being left out for a few games at the start of his Hearts career.

Graeme Russell

Was at the game yesterday and big Rory gave their back line a torrid time, he is certainly capable of playing at a higher level.

He will almost certainly move at the end of the season as a host of clubs are keeping tabs on him including the St Johnstone boss.

I think he will surprise a few people when he moves, forget the fact he has been with the Dons and Inverness as a young boy

as he is more stronger and and a better player now and he is still only 23. We could do a lot worse and is worth a gamble, put it

this way if we dont someone else will. :thumbsup:

bigsuperslim1874

You get the feeling that someone will take the gamble and it will pay-off bigtime. Gotta be worth a chance - as i said before, it aint gonna break the bank so where is the risk?

Mr Brightside

Not seen him play for Brechin but I know a Brechin first team player who has described him as a headless chicken.

Mr Brightside

A headless chicken he may be but he seems to always find his way to goal!

Whilst he is scoring in the third tier of Scottish football this doesn't mean he will be able to score at the same rate in the SPL. However, he may be able to do so, in all honestly I don't know.

I think in Mcallister's case the fact he failed at Aberdeen and Inverness is reason to doubt he can make the step up.

Because apparently he has a job outside his football that he really enjoys so is in no rush to move anywhere.

Thats exactly what I heard as well. I heard he is that well paid, most SPL clubs couldnt actually make it worth his while to leave the job to play full time football.

bigsuperslim1874

Whilst he is scoring in the third tier of Scottish football this doesn't mean he will be able to score at the same rate in the SPL. However, he may be able to do so, in all honestly I don't know.

I think in Mcallister's case the fact he failed at Aberdeen and Inverness is reason to doubt he can make the step up.

I mentioned on another thread that i would rather have someone like mcallister who has some kind of scoring record to call on (even if at 2nd division level) than Mole/Glen/Elliott/Obua who have no scoring record - at any level. Maybe he is a late developer? Most of his games for caley were from the bench when he was still in his teens.

He may turn-out to be total gash in spl second time round but maybe he had to drop down the leagues to regain/build on his confidence. Mcinnes was raving about him in his post-match interview yesterday and will no doubt be interested as well. It wont break the bank and is relatively low risk - plus i dont see anyone else in scotland banging in the goals at any level. We all know the spl aint that good - christ, connor sammon who was universally though of as gash scored 15+ before his move. I dont think you have to be the greatest player these days to cut it in the spl - just know your way to goal and mcallister clearly does. Again, can he be worse than obua, glen, elliot etc? I really doubt it!

bigsuperslim1874

Thats exactly what I heard as well. I heard he is that well paid, most SPL clubs couldnt actually make it worth his while to leave the job to play full time football.

Someone posted earlier that he was a plumber?!?!?

No doubt he will play at a higher level. His main area to work on is his discipline with countless yellow cards and a good few sending off's. He is finishing his apprenticeship as a plumber and will step up next year. Believe Aberdeen seriously interested and as he is from sheepland would not be surprised if he goes there at the end of the season. Superb player and will score goals at higher level. He has the ability to create something out of nothing (exactly what clum mole glenn don't have)

When he was at Raith, the SPL was not on the go yet. If memory serves me correct, he had a good time of it at Raith before (along with several others Scots) headed down to Millwall for about 300k? No real idea how he got on down in England.

His career defo picked up at the Saints, and after being left out for a few games at the start of his Hearts career.

Wow I never new Hartley was in his 50's. Thank god we didn't sign him.

Mr Brightside

I see Eliot getting a fair amount of abuse on here, but he scored regularly in the first division Macallister hasn't even done this.

Glen is still 21or under I think? So he could conceivably go on a successful loan spell next year and still make it at hearts. Mole is just gash though.

No thanks. He is a big headed *******.

He was at Aberdeen as a youngster and was released for having a stinking attitude and partying. He now works as a plumber. He is from a family of complete tinks and trouble never seems far away from him and his cronies up here. We could do without having our players on the front page.

I dont think he is worth the hassle and im very skeptical he has the abilty to make it.

If true then what an idiot.

I'm sorry but if you have the chance to play professional football for a top league side and turn it down to make a bit more money elsewhere then it shows you don't have the ambition or belief in your game to be a good player.

Football careers are short, I'm pretty sure he could get back into whatever career he is now after his football career was over.

FWIW I reckon there is no chance he will be good enough for us and would be very disappointed if we sign him.

The standard of Second Division football in Scotland is tragic.

SPL clubs couldnt make it worth his while?

He is an apprentice plumber. On about ?200/300 a week i would guess.

Released by ICT and Aberdeen.

EDIT - Found this. from March 2010.

Says "Plumbing is a good trade to have and a good job," the striker explained. "Unless it was a really good offer, I am inclined to stay where I am for the next year at least. There is a clause in my contract which says I can speak to clubs who offer a set amount of money but there would be no point, for example, just moving to the lower end of the First Division at this stage."

While i agree with him, who does he think he is? Pretty much sums up my meetings with him in the past. Unproven and released by 2 SPL teams yet talking himself up like he is the best thing since sliced bread.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Brechin39s-hotshot-plumber-Rory-McAllister.6185260.jp

SPL clubs couldnt make it worth his while? Bullshit.

He is an apprentice plumber. On about ?200/300 a week i would guess.

Released by ICT and Aberdeen.

Thats the story doing the rounds. True or not, I couldnt care less. One here says apprentice, others says not. Whats is it to be? Did you take the apprentice part from the guy who posted just before you? Or did you neglect to 'mention' he's an apprentice? :unsure:

Either way, is he good enough for us? Judging by his previous record, then no. Could be be a late developer? Perhaps. Should we be looking somewhere else? In my opinion, absolutely.

portobellojambo1

A headless chicken he may be but he seems to always find his way to goal!

The only person I keep thinking of is Dennis Wyness. Another player who was scoring goals for fun in lower divisions and failed miserably at HMFC.

Just because someone has scored goals in a lower division, and looked all right in a Scottish Cup tie versus St Johnstone doesn't mean he will be a hit at Tynecastle, far from it.

bigsuperslim1874

The only person I keep thinking of is Dennis Wyness. Another player who was scoring goals for fun in lower divisions and failed miserably at HMFC.

Just because someone has scored goals in a lower division, and looked all right in a Scottish Cup tie versus St Johnstone doesn't mean he will be a hit at Tynecastle, far from it.

Fair comment and there are no guarentees he would meet the grade but sometimes you need to gamble and take risks. From reports (not just yesterday) he seems to be outperforming in his division and the talent he obviously had to get him a spot at ict and dons is maybe now coming to the fore?

Low risk signing and think there is something there worth taking a gamble on - 1 year deal for instance.

fingers finest

we have pretty much claimed 3rd in the spl,our aim at the least next season has to be building on this and at the least trying to split the old firm,we wont achieve that by signing dross like mcallister

im sure even glen and elliot could match his record if playing for brechin

i for 1 hope we look to sign better quality than this in the summer

we have pretty much claimed 3rd in the spl,our aim at the least next season has to be building on this and at the least trying to split the old firm,we wont achieve that by signing dross like mcallister

im sure even glen and elliot could match his record if playing for brechin

i for 1 hope we look to sign better quality than this in the summer

This!!

We should be looking at buying players better than what we have and mcallister is not going to improve us atall. We need players better than Kyle and Elliott To improve.

Nothing against Kyle or Elliott I'm simply saying to improve as a club don't buy squad players. Buy players who will improve our starting 11. That's the only way to move forward.

Just watched the boy on Sportscene and he's more than just a finisher. Strong, quick, great feet - all this on a total mudbath of a pitch. There'll definitely be some SPL interest this summer I think.

Archived