Tunisia

vlad on the tyne

vlad on the tyne

Thinking of booking a holiday to Tunisia (sousse) as a cheapy getaway in April.

Anyone been and if so what was it like?

Cheers.

Cheers.

Doubt you'll get insurance. :unsure:

I was in Tunisia in October. There was a wee bit of tension in Tunis but we had no idea what was about to happen.

I loved my holiday and travels all over the country but I probably wouldn't recommend Sousse.

Port El Kantoui is about 13km away from Sousse and is much quieter, nicer and the best place to stay in Tunisia. It was built for tourists and is an excellent base to see the country.

Not sure how great an idea it is going to Tunisia right now but it's up to you.

Cheers.

:what:

I heard flights to libya are cheap at this time of year.

portobellojambo1

Cheers.

Not a part of the world I've visited. Don't take this wrong but is it really a wise destination to visit at this time given the present unrest in that region.

I can't comment on the situation at the moment, but me and my girlfriend had a great week in Port El-kantoui in summer 2009. It's a different place, quite hard to describe- quirky is the word I would use. We stayed in a great hotel which was designed for the German tourists I think,Hotel Golf- Brau iirc, with a bar that served its own beer made on premises (a lovely lager- served in proper beer mugs, much better beside the pool than some cocktail or a bottle of Sagres!) We took a bus tour round the country and saw the edge of the sahara desert, rode camels, and saw the sun rise over a huge salt flat. I've got some great memories of the place.

I didn't see a whole lot of Sousse, just what I saw from the bus. It is supposed to have a brilliant medina, but we never went in the few days we had there.

I would give it a couple of years before heading back though, given recent history!

Isaac Clarke

Cheers.

Great idea mate! Honestly don't see you having any problems at all!

Doubt you'll get insurance. :unsure:

My sister in laws mum had trouble getting insurance..

If you want to be stuck in a hotel with a pool for the duration in the sun, it's probably a great place.

If you want to go anywhere, it's a horrible place IMO. People are horrible, places are horrible too away from the flash hotels.

vlad on the tyne

Same here mate, much cheapness but think I will give it a miss.

My burd wanted us to go in april as it was only 200 for both of us, all inclusive.

:what:

If you want to be stuck in a hotel with a pool for the duration in the sun, it's probably a great place.

If you want to go anywhere, it's a horrible place IMO. People are horrible, places are horrible too away from the flash hotels.

None of that's true.

Carthage and Sidi Bou Said are beautiful places.

The beaches are as perfect as anywhere in the world if that's what you're into.

The natural beauty of the Sahara desert, the many oases and the Atlas mountains are all worth seeing.

The people are incredibly poor but friendly and helpful and violence and crime against tourists are extremely rare. I've traveled from the North coast all the way down to the Sahara and the Algerian border and really liked the place.

oh ah grantona

Tunisia is a dump, make sure u get a cracking hotel as apart from travel up and down country not much else to do weather is good tho just don't expect a Spain or Portugal type place

Tunisia is a dump, make sure u get a cracking hotel as apart from travel up and down country not much else to do weather is good tho just don't expect a Spain or Portugal type place

Anyone who goes to Tunisia expecting a Spain or Portugal type place is too stupid to be allowed a passport.

It's a 3rd world country and it's practically the poorest in North Africa apart from maybe Mauritania.

It is strangely beautiful in it's own way but it's Africa and it's a developing country.

Archived