New contract for Gordon Smith

Johanes de Silentio

Johanes de Silentio

According to this morning's Metro, the young lad is being offered a new contract by JJ after a nine-goal loan spell at Stirling.

I would imagine that most folks will find this pleasing.

Apologies if posted already! :ninja:

:thumbsup:

Good stuff. Hopefully he'll come back and get a few games next season.

Snake Plissken

9 goals in a struggling team for a young lad is a good return, still got a way to go but I hope he can come back and challenge next season.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

If the finish for his goal at Easter Road is an indication of his ability, then he looks like a real find. Hopefully he will come back from this successful loan spell and make an impact next season. :thumbsup:

Hmmm... i know he's young and deserves a chance with a new contract and everything but i hope Hearts have learned from the past that giving forwards extended contracts (Mole, Elliot, Hamill, Weir etc...) doesn't mean that they'll be given a chance in the 1st team too often. Most of them have pretty much ended up going down the Leagues in their careers, not even deemed good enough for smaller teams in the SPL, Elliot for example scored for fun at Livingston and sometimes that's their limits, as it is Elliot's. Don't rate Glen too highly either. Okay, he's scored a few goals for Stirling Albion but that means pretty much hee-haw, another reason why we need to bring the reserve League back, that would still be of a higher standard tha the lower Leagues but, good luck to him anyway though.

rossthejambo

Hmmm... i know he's young and deserves a chance with a new contract and everything but i hope Hearts have learned from the past that giving forwards extended contracts (Mole, Elliot, Hamill, Weir etc...) doesn't mean that they'll be given a chance in the 1st team too often. Most of them have pretty much ended up going down the Leagues in their careers, not even deemed good enough for smaller teams in the SPL, Elliot for example scored for fun at Livingston and sometimes that's their limits, as it is Elliot's. Don't rate Glen too highly either. Okay, he's scored a few goals for Stirling Albion but that means pretty much hee-haw, another reason why we need to bring the reserve League back, that would still be of a higher standard tha the lower Leagues but, good luck to him anyway though.

Mole and Elliot were given ridiculous 5 year deals. Smith's contract is coming to an end this season and is being given an extension. The comparison's you're making aren't just IMO.

He's getting rave reviews down there and hopefully he can come back and bang some goals in. :thumbsup:

Mole and Elliot were given ridiculous 5 year deals. Smith's contract is coming to an end this season and is being given an extension. The comparison's you're making aren't just IMO.

He's getting rave reviews down there and hopefully he can come back and bang some goals in. :thumbsup:

Hope so too!. My point was basically that we've had players in the past, the likes of Weir, Callaghan, Hamill, Sloan, Mole etc.. even Elliot from now that have flattered to deceive in the SPL after getting rave reviews from coaches, managers etc, that have not got "it" for SPL football and if they did, why are they not playing at a higher level than where most of them end up? I just wonder if bigging a player up actually does them any good in terms of putting too much pressure on them so young and scoring a few goals for Stirling doesn't make him a great player that's all. I hope he does go on to be a great player for us, naturally.

tommythejambo

Feel free to bring this up but he won't make it with us.

Very harsh.

As the finish at ER indicated, the boy has class.

What makes you think this? Any reasoning?

Robbo-Jambo

Bit of a big assumption to be as clear cut as that. <_< If Clum has been given that amount of chances Im sure young Smith could be given at least one.

Very harsh.

As the finish at ER indicated, the boy has class.

What makes you think this? Any reasoning?

Bit of a big assumption to be as clear cut as that. <_< If Clum has been given that amount of chances Im sure young Smith could be given at least one.

Yes it was a cracking finish. You can not determine that he will be good because of that finish. Nade against Arsenal. And you can't determine he'll be good because he scored in the first division. Elliot at Livingston.

From the games he played for us he didn't offer much if I'm being honest. He wasn't fast or even that strong. So you'd be hoping he'd be technically good which I don't think he is.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Seem to remember Lee wallace getting slaughtered in Frail's eighth place finish season.

Why do folk feel they are in a position to decide the future of accademy players after such short period of time and such little first team exposure?

Yes it was a cracking finish. You can not determine that he will be good because of that finish. Nade against Arsenal. And you can't determine he'll be good because he scored in the first division. Elliot at Livingston.

From the games he played for us he didn't offer much if I'm being honest. He wasn't fast or even that strong. So you'd be hoping he'd be technically good which I don't think he is.

I'm going to take Jefferies and Hearts say so over yours if that's ok.

I'm going to take Jefferies and Hearts say so over yours if that's ok.

To be fair he has a point.

I am 100% behind the lad (at present and when he returns to Hearts) but I wasn't sure of his potential either. He's obviously performed well on loan and deserves the extension. Good luck to him, I hope he proves me wrong.

No problem at all and my reply to Sked21 wasn't a pop at him either.

I don't hold any SFA badges as I'm sure neither of you guys do either. I've always been happy to leave the judgement of players to the management team - after all, it's their job that relies on it.

It might work, it might not - that's always been football. One thing I do know is it be amazing to see one of our young strikers really make it in the game. Write him off before his Hearts career starts isn't doing him any favours.

Lovely finish against Hibs - surley that must stand him in good stead!

I don't hold any SFA badges as I'm sure neither of you guys do either. I've always been happy to leave the judgement of players to the management team - after all, it's their job that relies on it.

It might work, it might not - that's always been football. One thing I do know is it be amazing to see one of our young strikers really make it in the game. Write him off before his Hearts career starts isn't doing him any favours.

I don't think we're righting him off. We're just being a little weary of getting our hopes up. Everyone thought Gary Glen might be the new Robbo but it hasn't exactly happened for him. And I'd say Glen showed more in his first few starts than Smith did.

What is encouraging is that he is playing well and scoring goals in an awful Stirling Albion team. I had two friends at the game against Raith a couple of weeks ago who were both complimentary about Smith's performance.

In public I'll give him my full support but I hold my right to air some concerns about him on a fans forum.

Here's to him proving me wrong booze.gif

another reason why we need to bring the reserve League back, that would still be of a higher standard tha the lower Leagues

I don't believe this for a minute, in fact I think even Rangers and Celtic reserves would struggle in division 1. Look at Falkirk, they were in the SPL last season and came very close to staying up, and now they're way back in 3rd in the 1st division. If Dundee hadn't been deducted points it would be 4th. How good do you think their reserves would be? Or Hamilton's reserves? Or even ours?

davemclaren

In most of his appearances for us he has has looked like someone not yet ready for the first team but his goal against Hibs was very goood. Hopefully his loan period has improved him and he will contribute more to us in future. Too early to say whether he will be a success or not at Hearts just yet but here's hoping... :ninja:

Ridiculous to point at one goal as a sign that he will make it with Hearts. Christ Mole scored a cracker IIRC against ICT for us and Elliot has scored at least 6 really good goals for Hearts but neither of them is good enough.

What Smith has done to deserve his new contract is be hungry enough to go to a lower division club (Glen won't do that) and prove that he is willing to try hard and is good enough to have an impact there (Mole couldn't). To be fair to Elliot he has proved that he has both the commitment and the ability to do likewise (at Livi), but he hasn't performed once back at Hearts - fallen at the final hurdle, so to speak. Smith has earned the CHANCE to prove that he can go that step further than Elliot...Good luck to the lad.

scots civil war

fantastic goal that........fakn loved jumping around to that one

our end was like a bucket of worms at that time

nice one smithy

That's fair enough. After all he was thrown in by Laszlo so it may be different under JJ. But there was very little there to suggest he would turn into frequent goal scorer or maker in the SPL.

More than happy to be proven wrong and he could be a decent squad player next season if C. Elliot and Glen leave which there is every possibility.

Johanes de Silentio

I would imagine that most folks will find this pleasing.

Seems not!

****sake - nobody knows whether Smith, or any other young player, is going to 'make it' or not.

The fact is that he has earned a new deal - can we not just wish him well and see how he does?

Jeez! :blink:

rudi must stay

didn't see anything to suggest he could either, but were a more stable club now. That can bring the best out of footballers, as we've seen this season.

Harry Palmer

Seems not!

****sake - nobody knows whether Smith, or any other young player, is going to 'make it' or not.

The fact is that he has earned a new deal - can we not just wish him well and see how he does?

Jeez! :blink:

All young players are shite! Just accept it. :thumbsup:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Glass half empty or full?

That's about the extent of what our opinion on the lad is worth, the brass-tacs of it... Do you expect everyone to become a star or fail.

alwaysthereinspirit

Quite obvious from that finish that he'll never make it with Hearts.:whistling:

Lets release him now why he's young enough to start a new career.

Would be unfair of Hearts to ruin the kids life by just stringing him along.

On a side note,how many first team appearances does he have

I like the lad.

His finish against Hibs was good but I don't think he played particularly well that day. In the cup game against St Mirren at Fir Park, I thought he was excellent.

Mr Brightside

He has scored a reasonable amount of goals for a poor first division team so has earned the chance to prove himself in the first team.

If we never gave him a new deal what kind of message does that give to youngsters who are asked to go out on loan.

Archived