Hearts UEFA Cup Run 88/89

adam1998

Apologies if posted already- Was sent this from a Gers fan at work- it seemingly had been posted on Follow Follow

Great complilation from our famous Uefa Cup run- shows how close we came to beating Munich Away :thumbsup:

I remember how excited I was when my Dad and I collected the 3rd set of coloured vouchers to get a ticket each for the big game.

Loyalty points are not the same.

I remember how excited I was when my Dad and I collected the 3rd set of coloured vouchers to get a ticket each for the big game.

Loyalty points are not the same.

I was lucky to attend all the home games- great to see how good a unit we were back then :thumbsup:

That same Munich team gave Rangers a going over the next year according to my Rangers workmate

Happy days.

I remember St Pats scoring a stunning solo goal in the game at Tynie and the ref getting booed for disallowing it thumbsup.gif

per disco dave.

missed a good chance in the 1st leg vs bayern (not shown).

jumped out of the way of augenthaler's shot, the big jessie.

sclaffed a half-chance after JC hit the post.

:vrface:

snakey levein having a right hiss at henry at 2-0. slithery git.

The Old Tolbooth

I remember all those games well, and thinking how I thought we'd blown it by drawing at home to Austria Vienna (I'm pretty sure they had the word "Memphis" in their name) 0-0 in the first leg of the second round, they were a decent side in Europe at that time and had some pedigree.

The Bayern night at Tynie was unbelievable, had big Dave had a bit more composure near the end we would have been taking a 2 goal lead to Germany, and a little bit more luck in the away leg would have seen us set up a tie with Maradona's Napoli in the semi final, we really deserved to go through that tie.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure the game against St Pats at Tynie seen one of the worst misses I've ever seen from a Hearts player in front of goal, Bannon was underneath the crossbar and somehow headed it over the bar, or am I thinking of a different match? :unsure:

Sadly, with the way the draws are seeded nowadays, it's highly unlikely that we will go on a run like that ever again, money goes to money in European competition these days and it's spoiled the whole thing for me, I liked it when we had the 3 European trophies to play for. :down:

No matter how many times i watch that,i still expect JC to score in Munich...i will get over it soon <_<

No matter how many times i watch that,i still expect JC to score in Munich...i will get over it soon <_<

I still think it was a save.

First time I've seen any of that.

Must have been a great time to be a Hearts fan.

JC's chance in Munich had me on the edge of my seat there :(

Shame the best we get nowadays is humpings to the likes of Dinamo Zagreb.

:down:

If there was one player in the side you'd want to be the one running through in a 1 on 1 it is JC - I couldn't believe that he had missed.

It was an absolutely fantastic run - were we the only Scottish side left in at the time when we played Bayern?

The Bayern night at Tynie was unbelievable, had big Dave had a bit more composure near the end we would have been taking a 2 goal lead to Germany, and a little bit more luck in the away leg would have seen us set up a tie with Maradona's Napoli in the semi final, we really deserved to go through that tie.

Maradona at Tynecastle would have been fantastic and no doubt a highlight of his career.

We were only a JC shot away from it as well.

What was the other two teams in the semi-finals?

If there was one player in the side you'd want to be the one running through in a 1 on 1 it is JC - I couldn't believe that he had missed.

It was an absolutely fantastic run - were we the only Scottish side left in at the time when we played Bayern?

Yup..it was Maradonas Napoli next,going by the draw..

Too late as usual :lol:

The Old Tolbooth

I still think it was a save.

I said that at the time, and I still say it now mate, the keeper got a touch on that to push it wide, not that I'm convinced it would have went in though :whistling:

Maradona at Tynecastle would have been fantastic and no doubt a highlight of his career.

We were only a JC shot away from it as well.

What was the other two teams in the semi-finals?

The other semi was between Stuttgart and Dynamo Dresden, West against East Germany at the time, with Stuttgart making it to the final which was a cracker with Napoli.

Here's the details of how the tournament worked out mate :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988%E2%80%9389_UEFA_Cup

portobellojambo1

I thought we'd blown it by drawing at home to Austria Vienna (I'm pretty sure they had the word "Memphis" in their name) 0-0 in the first leg of the second round, they were a decent side in Europe at that time and had some pedigree.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure the game against St Pats at Tynie seen one of the worst misses I've ever seen from a Hearts player in front of goal, Bannon was underneath the crossbar and somehow headed it over the bar, or am I thinking of a different match? :unsure:

The above two are both correct John. Austria Vienna were known as Austria Memphis at that time (a sponsorship deal) and Eamonn Bannon did indeed manage to miss an absolute sitter in the game versus St Patricks Athletic at Tynecastle (although my recollection is that from almost on the goal line he managed to put it wide of the post rather than over the bar, but either way it was possibly the worst miss I'd ever seen).

Was fortunate enough to witness all fixtures in that run, both home and away. Munich was a strange one, because it was difficult to be upset by what happened in the Olympic Stadium that night. We came very, very close to achieving an astonishing result, two efforts from Colquhoun, one in the first half that was pushed round the post (although the referee gave a goal kick), and a header in the 2nd half which came back off the post. Dave McPherson also came close to scoring that evening. Rather than being upset in Munich that night many in attendance, like myself, left the stadium rather proud of the effort we'd made and how close we came to doing one of Europe's big boys.

I said that at the time, and I still say it now mate, the keeper got a touch on that to push it wide, not that I'm convinced it would have went in though :whistling:

The other semi was between Stuttgart and Dynamo Dresden, West against East Germany at the time, with Stuttgart making it to the final which was a cracker with Napoli.

Here's the details of how the tournament worked out mate :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988%E2%80%9389_UEFA_Cup

Wow- just noticed from your link that one Pasquale Bruno scored in the First leg for Juventus -(1 March 1989)

Juventus 2 ? 0 Napoli Turin

Small world :lol:

south morocco

from standing in the gorgie rd end ,i can still see in my mind the swerve ian fergusons free kick took before hitting the net, a magical night at tynecastle

Did the commentator really say "the famine is over" when Kenny Blck scored against St Pats :D:D

Yip that's why it ended up on follow follow- they found it hilarious as the commentator sounded like he was going to burst into that Celtic classic :whistling:

Harry Palmer

per disco dave.

missed a good chance in the 1st leg vs bayern (not shown).

jumped out of the way of augenthaler's shot, the big jessie.

sclaffed a half-chance after JC hit the post.

:vrface:

snakey levein having a right hiss at henry at 2-0. slithery git.

Don't disrespect McPherson. :verymad:

DaveMcPherson.jpg

:thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth

The above two are both correct John. Austria Vienna were known as Austria Memphis at that time (a sponsorship deal) and Eamonn Bannon did indeed manage to miss an absolute sitter in the game versus St Patricks Athletic at Tynecastle (although my recollection is that from almost on the goal line he managed to put it wide of the post rather than over the bar, but either way it was possibly the worst miss I'd ever seen).

Was fortunate enough to witness all fixtures in that run, both home and away. Munich was a strange one, because it was difficult to be upset by what happened in the Olympic Stadium that night. We came very, very close to achieving an astonishing result, two efforts from Colquhoun, one in the first half that was pushed round the post (although the referee gave a goal kick), and a header in the 2nd half which came back off the post. Dave McPherson also came close to scoring that evening. Rather than being upset in Munich that night many in attendance, like myself, left the stadium rather proud of the effort we'd made and how close we came to doing one of Europe's big boys.

Cheers for that Iain, had me doubting myself although I'm still sure it went over the bar, perhaps others could help out here :D

Did the commentator really say "the famine is over" when Kenny Blck scored against St Pats :D:D

He sure did, he'd get hung for that nowadays :lol:

(we were on a shite league run and hadn't scored for a bit before that game iirc, which is why he used that phrase)

I can remember a crowd of us had tickets for the return leg in Munich before the first leg had been played. Non-jams were calling us stupid for going to a game which would mean nothing because Bayern were going to take 4 off us-waste of money. That Ferguson goal gave us hope and belief and my God we were so close. Brilliant 3 days-we drove down after taking the ferry from Hull.

Just so many memories. I still have a picture of me and my mates with Sandy Clark after we spotted him in Munich.

We had a good run in Europe, but we were honking in the league that season.

Amazing how a team with so many good players, could be so bad that year.

Bayern 1-0 is one of my top two matches ever - even better than the Gretna Cup Final.

heartstastic

Cheers for that Iain, had me doubting myself although I'm still sure it went over the bar, perhaps others could help out here :D

He sure did, he'd get hung for that nowadays :lol:

(we were on a shite league run and hadn't scored for a bit before that game iirc, which is why he used that phrase)

I remember being behind the goals in Munich and shouting "Go on Augenthaler Shoot", and he did as well. :angry:

Scored a similar goal against the Huns the following season.

Midloth_Iain

We had a good run in Europe, but we were honking in the league that season.

Amazing how a team with so many good players, could be so bad that year.

Bayern 1-0 is one of my top two matches ever - even better than the Gretna Cup Final.

Steady on...

I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not ?? :unsure:

I remember being behind the goals in Munich and shouting "Go on Augenthaler Shoot", and he did as well. :angry:

So it was your fault!

:verymad:

That goal was on from the moment he picked the ball up. There was a kind of "oh Jesus" hush behind the goal when he was about to shoot, and I don't mean in a religious way. Augenthaler made a career out of scoring with screamers like that.

I'm glad to have seen this footage again, because I had got the sequence of events all muddled up in my memory. I had JC's header off the post coming when we were already 2-0 down. We were bloody close that night.

Steady on...

I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not ?? :unsure:

I can absolutley see why he would say that it may be better than the Gretna final for him. For me its damm close, that night against Bayern was a win against all odds, a full house, fantastic Tynecastle atmosphere under the lights and a spectacular goal to give us hope. The Gretna game on the other hand was a bit of an anti-climax (for me anyway) For some the Gretna cup win may have been their first final and indeed first cup win and thats understandable but for some other auld folk like myself who saw that Euro run and 98 then its understandable how we may class that Euro night ahead of The Gretna cup win. Sure a cup is a cup as we dont get them too often but in terms of memorable nights (or games) The Bayern game is a classic, just as the 2004 semi is

Yo Yo the Parrot

There is a famous story that a certain Hearts player also shouted 'shoot' as he was trying to catch up with him.

The story is almost as famous as the picture on the front of the magazine 'Football Today' at the time :whistling: Anyone who remembers it will now be saying whats the name of the numptie with the white jeans and 'Nick Faldo' Pringle sweater

:rolleyes:

Adi Dassler

I can absolutley see why he would say that it may be better than the Gretna final for him. For me its damm close, that night against Bayern was a win against all odds, a full house, fantastic Tynecastle atmosphere under the lights and a spectacular goal to give us hope. The Gretna game on the other hand was a bit of an anti-climax (for me anyway) For some the Gretna cup win may have been their first final and indeed first cup win and thats understandable but for some other auld folk like myself who saw that Euro run and 98 then its understandable how we may class that Euro night ahead of The Gretna cup win. Sure a cup is a cup as we dont get them too often but in terms of memorable nights (or games) The Bayern game is a classic, just as the 2004 semi is

Absolutely.

Not to be blas? about it but the Hibs game was the cup final for me that year.

Bayern at home is THE game for me.

Incredible atmosphere.

There is a famous story that a certain Hearts player also shouted 'shoot' as he was trying to catch up with him.

The story is almost as famous as the picture on the front of the magazine 'Football Today' at the time :whistling: Anyone who remebers it will now be saying whats the name of the numptie with the white jeans and 'Nick Faldo' Pringle sweater

:rolleyes:

Chinos and a Pringle Sweater?....You gotta be kidding me :whistling:

Just got goose bumps all over, I was at all of the home games and the Bayern away...18 yrs old in Munich with an amazing support that wouldn't leave after the match and got a encore from the team!! SOOOOO unlucky but what an experience!!

Yo Yo the Parrot

White Jeans and a Pringle Sweater....You gotta be kidding me :whistling:

It was the fashion back then what can I say we were all a bit crazy. Come to think of it they might have been chinos !! :yucky:

It was the fashion back then what can I say we were all a bit crazy. Come to think of it they might have been chinos !! :yucky:

Ive changed it to Chinos in respect of your fashion awareness :ninja:

Archived