rangers euro run

superjack

am i the only person on this board who actually wants rangers to do well in the europa league?

don't get me wrong , i still believe they are half of the cancer os scottish football and i hate them as much as i hate there green partners in crime , but they are actually doing scottish football a favour.

thanks to them , the spl has a second champions league place due to a higher co-efficient.

and , because of that , the spl should look at helping them with there fixture congestion(only near euro games though , not league ones),because in 2 years we might be able to get another good run going and qualify for champions league.

at the same time though , if they got to the final in dublin , without any doubt , they would embarrass scottish football again.

jack D and coke

I'm neither here nor there when i watch them in Europe but i kind of want all our clubs to get repectable results in europe (even Celtic) at least just for the sake of how it reflects on our game. If Rangers can go further then good luck to them.

I always pish myself when it's Hibs though.

Francis Albert

am i the only person on this board who actually wants rangers to do well in the europa league?

don't get me wrong , i still believe they are half of the cancer os scottish football and i hate them as much as i hate there green partners in crime , but they are actually doing scottish football a favour.

thanks to them , the spl has a second champions league place due to a higher co-efficient.

and , because of that , the spl should look at helping them with there fixture congestion(only near euro games though , not league ones),because in 2 years we might be able to get another good run going and qualify for champions league.

at the same time though , if they got to the final in dublin , without any doubt , they would embarrass scottish football again.

... allowing the OF the opportunity to make millions in Europe and maintain and extend their total domination of Scottish football. The higher coefficient overwhelmingly benefits the OF and no-one much else... maybe one extra team will get a Europa Club qualifying round tie.

The "doing Scottish football a favour" stuff is a classic bit of Scottish media propaganda that many people for some reason swallow whole.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

I'm neither here nor there when i watch them in Europe but i kind of want all our clubs to get repectable results in europe (even Celtic) at least just for the sake of how it reflects on our game. If Rangers can go further then good luck to them.

I always pish myself when it's Hibs though.

These are my thought as well. I don't celebrate when they do well but I generally back any scottish side in europe.

jack D and coke

... allowing the OF the opportunity to make millions in Europe and maintain and extend their total domination of Scottish football. The higher coefficient overwhelmingly benefits the OF and no-one much else... maybe one extra team will get a Europa Club qualifying round tie.

The "doing Scottish football a favour" stuff is a classic bit of Scottish media propaganda that many people for some reason swallow whole.

You can't blame the OF for us or Dundee Utd or whoever for getting pumped out first qualifying round. If they didn't have any decent runs at all there would be less chance of 3rd and 4th place teams getting a wee shot at least and an away euro tie.

You cant blame them for everything.

shaun.lawson

You can't blame the OF for us or Dundee Utd or whoever for getting pumped out first qualifying round. If they didn't have any decent runs at all there would be less chance of 3rd and 4th place teams getting a wee shot at least and an away euro tie.

Correct.

I don't want them to succeed, and laugh when they fail - but you have to respect the durability and grittiness of their current side. All rival managers know how Rangers will line up against them in Europe; yet they're still getting results with a deeply limited team. Their run to the final in 2008 was remarkable, and they're still using the same template now.

I suspect PSV will go through, probably after a 1-1 at Ibrox: Rangers under Smith are invariably better when playing the home game first, then catching their opponents off guard in the away leg. But it's perfectly possible Rangers will get through again; and if they do, I'm not sure any side would want to draw them.

jack D and coke

Correct.

I don't want them to succeed, and laugh when they fail - but you have to respect the durability and grittiness of their current side. All rival managers know how Rangers will line up against them in Europe; yet they're still getting results with a deeply limited team. Their run to the final in 2008 was remarkable, and they're still using the same template now.

I suspect PSV will go through, probably after a 1-1 at Ibrox: Rangers under Smith are invariably better when playing the home game first, then catching their opponents off guard in the away leg. But it's perfectly possible Rangers will get through again; and if they do, I'm not sure any side would want to draw them.

They're f***** dreadful to watch in european matches but would i complain if we were getting those results? Chances.

The Future's Maroon

Some people are too blinkered, ok it can be dire watching them in Europe but they are getting the results and at the end of the day helping our co-efficient.

I can't stand them, but when it comes to Euro football I do want them to win/get through....same with any team from Scotland....except Hibs, but then they are never going to do anything anyway so dont really give a toss about them!

I will add though, I hope they dont get as far as the final in Dublin because that could be one horrible horrible day for them, Dublin and Scottish Football as a whole.....but that would be down to their moronic fans not the team.

Guest Dipped Flake

I support every Scottish club in Europe, even the of and Hibs. I want Scotland to improve our standing in the game and the main way we can do this is to get decent results in Europe.

Having said that, I can still laugh at these 3 when they get turfed out.

Francis Albert

Not blaming them just pointing out the consequences.

If people are happy to compete in a league we have no chance of winning and just have this sad little "best of the rest" competition for entry to another competition we have chance of winning, then fine.

Not strictly true.

They are a massive reason as to why all the other teams in the league struggle quality wise/financially for numerous reasons that we all know.

Hence why we are so crap when we go to Europe.

jack D and coke

Not blaming them just pointing out the consequences.

If people are happy to compete in a league we have no chance of winning and just have this sad little "best of the rest" competition for entry to another competition we have chance of winning, then fine.

But you say that like it's not always been that way. It's always been mate, Rangers have won over 50 league titles and Celtic not far behind in a league thats only just over a 120 odd years old. It's not a new thing that they're dominating.

I'm not happy that we might never win a league title in my lifetime but apart from guys who were of age in the fifties there's nobody alive seen us win one and up until 12 years ago not even a cup. It's facts unfortunately and very unlikely to ever change.

Francis Albert

But you say that like it's not always been that way. It's always been mate, Rangers have won over 50 league titles and Celtic not far behind in a league thats only just over a 120 odd years old. It's not a new thing that they're dominating.

I'm not happy that we might never win a league title in my lifetime but apart from guys who were of age in the fifties there's nobody alive seen us win one and up until 12 years ago not even a cup. It's facts unfortunately and very unlikely to ever change.

Until the last two decades it was normal for a non-OF team to win the league occasionally . With the OF accessing the riches of the CL Group stages, even say each only twice a decade, no-one outside the OF will ever have a chance of competing.

Scottish teams are shite and don't deserve a European spot.

Why should someone who finishes 4th in this league get into Europe?

**** the old firm and **** the coefficient. Hearts in Europe = great but not if we finish 5th thanks to the cup result and then have a fair play entrant like Motherwell a couple of years ago and get horsed out, humiliated. No thanks. I'd like to think we can qualify and actually have a realistic chance of progressing at least to the group stage.

alwaysthereinspirit

I wont read any the reply's to your question but unfortunately I wont be joining your love in for anything OF. Nothing personal.

Vlad-Stupid

I happy for the OF to play as many cup/euro games as possible. Anything to better their chances of dropping points in the league. As long as they get beat in the final mind youthumbsup.gif

mahgrassyshoes

Scottish teams are shite and don't deserve a European spot.

Why should someone who finishes 4th in this league get into Europe?

**** the old firm and **** the coefficient. Hearts in Europe = great but not if we finish 5th thanks to the cup result and then have a fair play entrant like Motherwell a couple of years ago and get horsed out, humiliated. No thanks. I'd like to think we can qualify and actually have a realistic chance of progressing at least to the group stage.

To be fait to them they were in the cup the longest and out lasted longer than Falkirk and Aberdeen, going out at the same stage as us. But generally, your point stands, Europe to Scottish teams is generally nothing more than a wee bit of extra income and, hopefully, some nice weather...

They will get hee haw in Europe.....ever!

That said, if they have 1 eye on Europe, they don't have 2 eyes on the league.

They say it's better for the co-efficient to do as well as possible in Europe but as a Jambo, Hearts as a club on their own should do what's best for us and that is challenge for the Championship. There's no benefit really if Hearts qualify for Europe only to get knocked out in a qualifier because of a lack of investment in the team, more investment into the squad to challenge for the League should be the priority, instead of Romanov goin elsewhere and spending millions on some other new club, a new plaything for his amusement. We won't get too many chances of finishing 2nd never mind first, we had a chance this season but because of injuries/suspensions and a lack of players coming in in the January transfer window, it's not going to happen. If settling for 3rd is the best we can do then we certainly need some new investors. We're no better off as a team than we were when Levein was manager, that was finishing 3rd regularly.

jack D and coke

Until the last two decades it was normal for a non-OF team to win the league occasionally . With the OF accessing the riches of the CL Group stages, even say each only twice a decade, no-one outside the OF will ever have a chance of competing.

Maybe your first point is right enough but i think this is happening all over Europe now. England only has 2 or 3 potential champions as does Spain, Germany and Italy.

The Champions League has made the bigger teams too strong. When you watch the Europa League it's such a second rate competition now it's unbelievable. The teams in it are so far behind the CL teams it's mental.

The problem is allowing teams like Gretna etc that have come runners up in the Scottish Cup into Europe. They get horsed off teams from the Welsh league and that destroys the coefficient. If it always went to the team in 3rd and 4th, and even 5th in the SPL we would be in a much better standing and might have the 3rd placed team going straight into the Europa League proper. Rangers have done well this year to get where they are and have a very good chance of getting to the next round after last night. It was minging to watch but that is what is needed away in Europe when you don't have the resourses.

Francis Albert

Maybe your first point is right enough but i think this is happening all over Europe now. England only has 2 or 3 potential champions as does Spain, Germany and Italy.

The Champions League has made the bigger teams too strong. When you watch the Europa League it's such a second rate competition now it's unbelievable. The teams in it are so far behind the CL teams it's mental.

It's certainly true that the huge wealth of the CL is distorting club football all over Europe and creating (as intended) an elite tier of clubs.

But I can't think of many (any?) other country with two such dominant teams and (in the past and soon to be again) a precisely matching two CL places. The leagues you mention all have more CL places and though they may have dominant teams (eg Real Madrid and Barcelona in Spain) they don't have in practice the sort of "closed shop" as far as CL entry is concerned that Scotland has.

When just one run to the CL group stages can generate more profit than even the best run non-OF club in Scotland can expect to generate over a decade, the second CL place is the straw that breaks the camel's back of any chance of competing with the OF.

Archived