NASL

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Brilliant site:

http://www.nasljerseys.com/Players/Players_Roster.htm

I love the old NASL stuff.

Some great photos, including:

Blizzard%2079%20Home%20Team.JPG

I count four ex-Hearts players in there.

Also:

Whitecaps%2079%20Road%20Willie%20Johnston%202.jpg

Tremendous.

Am I going totally mental or were we ever interested in signing this guy?

http://www.nasljerseys.com/Players/P/Perez.Hugo.htm

rabthejambo

Danny Paton, who played for the famous and died yesterday had a spell in the NASL. He was my uncle and played in Atlanta and Washington. We have a few pictures of him playing against one Edson Arantes do Nascimento - Pele. HHGH

Danny Paton, who played for the famous and died yesterday had a spell in the NASL. He was my uncle and played in Atlanta and Washington. We have a few pictures of him playing against one Edson Arantes do Nascimento - Pele. HHGH

The day I arrived in DC. Didn't even have time to take my watch off

post-740-0-01243100-1299857892_thumb.jpeg

rabthejambo

The day I arrived in DC. Didn't even have time to take my watch off

That is a fantastic picture. from all accounts the NASL was quite something to be a part of. Good memories I'll bet...

I used to have a Tampa Bay Rowdies jersey. No idea where it is these days.

I see the NY Cosmos are back as well...

http://www.nycosmos.com/

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Kingston's agent said the NY Cosmos were interested in him. This is despite them not being registered to any league.

I had read your post the other day RTJ, about your uncle, and i mentioned it to my Dad who hadn`t heard the unfortunate news.

We had a wee chat and he reminised about some past games etc...and i mentioned you`d said Danny had played against Pele.

Now, this is going to raise a few mocking laughs because of what we know now, but my Dad has always mentioned it through the years......Hearts were interested in Pele when he was 17.

He and a friend were in the Diggers way back and reading the Pink News and Green despatch. My Dad noticed a column about Hearts being after a young Brazilian in the Pink News. It of course didn`t happen, but i`ve always wondered if its possible to find any archives of old newspapers or in some way this info has been kept in some shape or form.

There`s no reason for my Dad to make this up and he is adamant time and again this was the case. I picked his brain and asked how it would be possible in those days to scout so far afield but i did mention that many players in those days set off for South America and maybe we got a tip off from and old face?

We may never find out but my Dad will be so adamant about it till hell freezes over!

Funny to see four ex Hearts players in the Toronto team.

As a Hearts supporting kid growing up in Toronto in the late 70's to have any Hearts players not to mention 4 on the team was incomprehesible. Drew Busby was a hero. Add to that Rab Prentice, Kenny Aird, Peter Lorimer, Derek Spalding etc., it added a bit of allure to what was a pretty keech team. I went to the 1st home game at the Ex vs ?, and it snowed cats and dogs. If anyone on the board is from the GTA, you'll remember how bad the Ex was for watching any sports. Could be the worst stadium ever. I miss the Blizzard. Where else could you have had a team that could name in its alumni a Roberto Bettega, Drew Busby, Ace Nsetsolenge, Jomo Sono, and Dave McQueen as its members? Changed days.

Kalamazoo Jambo

I had read your post the other day RTJ, about your uncle, and i mentioned it to my Dad who hadn`t heard the unfortunate news.

Now, this is going to raise a few mocking laughs because of what we know now, but my Dad has always mentioned it through the years......Hearts were interested in Pele when he was 17.

He and a friend were in the Diggers way back and reading the Pink News and Green despatch. My Dad noticed a column about Hearts being after a young Brazilian in the Pink News. It of course didn`t happen, but i`ve always wondered if its possible to find any archives of old newspapers or in some way this info has been kept in some shape or form.

There`s no reason for my Dad to make this up and he is adamant time and again this was the case. I picked his brain and asked how it would be possible in those days to scout so far afield but i did mention that many players in those days set off for South America and maybe we got a tip off from and old face?

Pele won the World Cup at age 17.

Archived