Robinson

RenfrewHearts

RenfrewHearts

Just a question for those who regularly follow the 19s. I was just wondering how wee Scott Robinson is shaping up as Central Midfielder and when he's likely to be ready to break back into the team? Was also curious as to what sort of Midfielder he is ? And if he compares to any players we've had had previously or even just now in his style of play? Any feedback is much appreciated :thumbsup:

Yeah think he is a striker but has probably been played attacking mid. Must be not far of the 1st team you hope and that is why he is on the bench instead if just making up the numbers :-)

mahgrassyshoes

Thought he was a striker?

Yeah think he is a striker but has probably been played attacking mid. Must be not far of the 1st team you hope and that is why he is on the bench instead if just making up the numbers :-)

No, he considers himself a midfielder. Csaba played him unfront despite this.

Not sure where he actually gets played for 19's, but i would fancy him as an attacking midfielder. Although he showed when he was in the first team he definitely had the energy to do the box-to-box midfielder role.

The Old Tolbooth

Definitely a midfield player, in fact I'm pretty sure there was some dispute between either Robinson and Csaba/Jefferies as to where they wanted to play him as he didn't want to play in the striker role (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

What I remember about Robinson is that he had masses amounts of energy, and the heart of a lion when going into tackles, he always gave 100% and I'd like to see him back in the team.

Jambosr1985

A poor one i suspect or he would have got a game in the poorest Hearts midfield for a long time in the last two games.

rossthejambo

A poor one i suspect or he would have got a game in the poorest Hearts midfield for a long time in the last two games.

:vrface:

Mr Brightside

Definitely a midfield player, in fact I'm pretty sure there was some dispute between either Robinson and Csaba/Jefferies as to where they wanted to play him as he didn't want to play in the striker role (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

What I remember about Robinson is that he had masses amounts of energy, and the heart of a lion when going into tackles, he always gave 100% and I'd like to see him back in the team.

I agree with the above but would also add that he appeared to have a really good first touch and control of the ball.

I thought last year that he looked the best of our recent crop of young players including Templeton.

Johanes de Silentio

'sake!

Ryan Gosling

Dwayne Johnson would hate to be you.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

As I remember it -by no means infalable- he was an attacking midfielder in the youth ranks and when Frail was desperate to try and conjure up a goal or two (perhaps also secure any kind of positive legacy) he threw him and Glen in in our 8th place season, Robinson became the youngest SPL first team player ever. I seem to remember he played as a striker in his post split appearances at the end of Frail's reign and that he was almost over-looked as a publicity stunt by Shaggy as Glen stole the limelight by scoring four or five post split goals in a disappointing season with a shan attacking line that was recently stripped of Velicka.

Csaba played Robinson in the hole more often than not... Supporting Nade. As I recall he did a lot of good work there and twisted, turned and ran all over probing for a breakthrough that rarely came as he toiled away behind the immobile monolth that was Nadger.

When Jj came in he inherited him as a first team squader but quickly saw that he was toiling, he then gave the lad a choice of trying to keep challenging for a CF role in his first full season in charge or going back with Murray in the U19s and working on his preferred position as an attack minded central midfielder, he chose the latter and recently seems to have forced his way on to the first team squad bench under Jj.

All just as I remember it but JiG or FF will have more accurate details of what he was like at youth levels.

:)

rossthejambo

As I remember it -by no means infalable- he was an attacking midfielder in the youth ranks and when Frail was desperate to try and conjure up a goal or two (perhaps also secure any kind of positive legacy) he threw him and Glen in in our 8th place season, Robinson became the youngest SPL first team player ever. I seem to remember he played as a striker in his post split appearances at the end of Frail's reign and that he was almost over-looked as a publicity stunt by Shaggy as Glen stole the limelight by scoring four or five post split goals in a disappointing season with a shan attacking line that was recently stripped of Velicka.

Csaba played Robinson in the hole more often than not... Supporting Nade. As I recall he did a lot of good work there and twisted, turned and ran all over probing for a breakthrough that rarely came as he toiled away behind the immobile monolth that was Nadger.

When Jj came in he inherited him as a first team squader but quickly saw that he was toiling, he then gave the lad a choice of trying to keep challenging for a CF role in his first full season in charge or going back with Murray in the U19s and working on his preferred position as an attack minded central midfielder, he chose the latter and recently seems to have forced his way on to the first team squad bench under Jj.

All just as I remember it but JiG or FF will have more accurate details of what he was like at youth levels.

:)

As good a summary as any there, Mothy. That's pretty much how I remember it.

But the "true Hearts man" has spoken and he's apparently pish so might as well get rid now, much like the rest of the U19's. :rolleyes:

Footballfirst

I find it difficult to pigeon hole him as being like any previous player as his attributes cross over a number of his predecessors. There are bits of Cameron and Stewart (best bits) about his play.

To correct something that was said previously, he decided to revert to the U19s in order to prove himself as a midfielder, rather than go out on loan, as JJ had indicated that he was unlikely to feature for the 1st team when everyone was fit. He has settled in well since he went back to the U19s and Darren Murray says that his attitude has been great.

As for his style of play, he still has a great work ethic closing people down, winning the ball and starting attacks as one of three central midfielders. He does have good technique and keeps possesion well by playing mainly short passes and moving into space. If I had one criticism of him recently it would be that he doesn't make enough forward runs in support of, or ahead of, the central striker. However, it may be a tactical decision on DM's part that Jason Holt is the one who tends to make more forward runs.

I would certainly like him to be kept on in the event of a major clearout at the end of the season.

Jambosr1985

Can i ask if he is so special as to why he has not got on in last two games when we are at our weakest, or will i get accussed of all sorts. Dwayne J

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Read the thread Jambosr1985,

There could be a multitude of reasons, only the coaching staff will be able to answer that question properly but we have all contributed what we know of him and his situation in between your two posts.

Here's a question for you now...

Why the desperation to write of one of our promising 19-20 players that you seem to know so very little about in your posts?

really like to see him given a run at somepoint soon will add energy to the midfield was said on here his contract was up at the end of the season anyone in the know have any info on this

Clerry Jambo

Robinson look a bright prospect when he first came into the side and I liked his attitude.

Robinson aside, I agree with Jambosr1985 - centre mid is our weakest part of the team although this is probably not the thread for that debate

mahgrassyshoes

Robinson look a bright prospect when he first came into the side and I liked his attitude.

Robinson aside, I agree with Jambosr1985 - centre mid is our weakest part of the team although this is probably not the thread for that debate

I'd probably agree with that. There's not one in there to take the pressure of the wingers to create, part of the reason we've seen such a big dip in Temps performances. However, do you think that, because Scott Robinson hasn't yet broken into that midfield, we should write him off as not good enough?

It's delicate. The fact that midfield is our weakest area would mean Scott was put in there to fix that. I don't know the lad and maybe he has the mentality that that wouldn't faze him. In fact, maybe he'd prosper with that pressure. Maybe he wouldn't though.

I do think we wait a bit long to give the young lads a chance. The size of our league etc really does mean it's sink or swim for the youngsters, but that's the deal for the foreseeable, so maybe we just see if the likes of Pom/Pum (was that ever cleared up!?!?) or Denys Iwontattempthissurmanetilli'vepracticed-enko will be swimmers. At least get them off the bench when Stevo is proving ineffective yet again. Got to better than bringing on Clum and Glen to see if they can make a difference? But maybe they just think the team's too fragile to blood youngsters as it is (missing KK and Wallace, prob our two most experienced players). Dunno.

Anyway, not really what the thread is about. What I know of Scott Robinson is what I've read on here (and saw him once in midfield against a poor, understrength Musselburgh Athletic team). Tidy, combative midfielder who'll work all day and act as a conduit (I like that word!): take the ball, move it on, make self available to get it back. Sounds exactly what we need!!

Loving those on here just willing him to be pish by the way! Canny whack it.

Charlie-Brown

Scott Robinson is like the Energizer Bunny - regardless of whether he plays up front or in midfield he just keeps on going and going and going and absolutely will not stop, nobody puts in a better shift than him, he's always buzzing about the pitch and closing down and chasing back and chasing forward. Quite good with his feet and has already scored a couple of good goals in the first team including one at Ibrox. Prancer's negativity is best ignored - fans always love players like Scott Robinson because they give absolutely everything for the team.

Scott Robinson is like the Energizer Bunny - regardless of whether he plays up front or in midfield he just keeps on going and going and going and absolutely will not stop, nobody puts in a better shift than him, he's always buzzing about the pitch and closing down and chasing back and chasing forward. Quite good with his feet and has already scored a couple of good goals in the first team including one at Ibrox. Prancer's negativity is best ignored - fans always love players like Scott Robinson because they give absolutely everything for the team.

That is exactly why he should have played last weekend against Eremenko - rather than Stevenson who appears to me to be a trier but very slow to react to things.

Clerry Jambo

I'd probably agree with that. There's not one in there to take the pressure of the wingers to create, part of the reason we've seen such a big dip in Temps performances. However, do you think that, because Scott Robinson hasn't yet broken into that midfield, we should write him off as not good enough?

I would certainly give the lad a chance - not much keeping him out

I find it difficult to pigeon hole him as being like any previous player as his attributes cross over a number of his predecessors. There are bits of Cameron and Stewart (best bits) about his play.

To correct something that was said previously, he decided to revert to the U19s in order to prove himself as a midfielder, rather than go out on loan, as JJ had indicated that he was unlikely to feature for the 1st team when everyone was fit. He has settled in well since he went back to the U19s and Darren Murray says that his attitude has been great.

As for his style of play, he still has a great work ethic closing people down, winning the ball and starting attacks as one of three central midfielders. He does have good technique and keeps possesion well by playing mainly short passes and moving into space. If I had one criticism of him recently it would be that he doesn't make enough forward runs in support of, or ahead of, the central striker. However, it may be a tactical decision on DM's part that Jason Holt is the one who tends to make more forward runs.

I would certainly like him to be kept on in the event of a major clearout at the end of the season.

He sounds like exactly the type of player we are missing. The "bits of Cameron and Stewart (best bits) about his play" part is particularly exciting as we have been missing that type of player since we lost Hartley. Bruno was great but much more deep lying. Sounds like the perfect combination with Rudi and Black/Ruben/Eggert/Adrian depending on the balance we are looking for.

So why is he not playing? Are our U19 observers over selling him? Is he not physically strong enough yet? Surely JJ etc must know him better than any of our posters, so why not give him a go when there seem to be little chance of movement in terms of league position?

Confidence? Will the summer make the difference in this regard?

jamboinglasgow

That is exactly why he should have played last weekend against Eremenko - rather than Stevenson who appears to me to be a trier but very slow to react to things.

Problem was he played a 90 minute competitive game the day before for the under 19s.

Problem was he played a 90 minute competitive game the day before for the under 19s.

Yet he was on the bench on Saturday?

Smacks of a situation where he isn't going to get a game and like the other young players is only making up the numbers on the bench.

jamboinglasgow

Yet he was on the bench on Saturday?

Smacks of a situation where he isn't going to get a game and like the other young players is only making up the numbers on the bench.

actually more of a case of the lack of central midfielders we had available, had Wallace passed the late fitness test I dont think Robinson would have been on the bench.

Bert Le Clos

I think if he will fit in very well at Hearts if JJ sticks with the same tactics using Kyle as a target man up front.

From what I remember the U19s play in a similar way, with the big Welsh lad? up top and Robinson supporting from attacking midfield with Denis in behind him.

I think he'll be very effective bursting forward to get beyond Kyle in a Cameron/Hartley type way. Dare I say it I reckon he could be the long term answer to Rudi, although the Bryson rumours keep hanging about whether they are real or not.

We're going to play very similarly to how we did in 97-98 IMO, with a solid holding player (Adrian), a slightly less defensive type (Black), an attacking midfield player (Bryson?/Robinson?) and a winger (Temps/Driver) playing behind a target man and a smaller penalty box player in Kyle and Elliott.

Jambosr1985

I at least hope he makes it, but some of the rubbish talked about our under 19s on here is fantasy stuff. So blacky and ruben will return and eggert also, no space left for a midfielder.

I reckon any confidence he had may drain away, shaggy put him in to early for sure, or maybe peanut will bring up another utube moment, i did not c any of them this season in under 19s, he has not stood out.

RenfrewHearts

I at least hope he makes it, but some of the rubbish talked about our under 19s on here is fantasy stuff. So blacky and ruben will return and eggert also, no space left for a midfielder.

I reckon any confidence he had may drain away, shaggy put him in to early for sure, or maybe peanut will bring up another utube moment, i did not c any of them this season in under 19s, he has not stood out.

Are you foreign ? Or just stupid...

Jambosr1985

"Are you foreign ? Or just stupid... "

Neither just a realist, JJ obviously agrees or he would have been playing this season especially last two games.

Charlie-Brown

The alternative to prancers reality & world view is that JJ picked & included Robinson & Prychynenko for the last 2 match day squads.

rossthejambo

Neither just a realist, JJ obviously agrees or he would have been playing this season especially last two games.

Or maybe he's waiting until next season to bring the youngsters through seeing as they're still eligible for the u19's and the more games they play there the better for their development.

But then that wouldn't really fit with your agenda :whistling:

Bert Le Clos

I think what he was trying to suggest, was that your argument doesn't really hold up.

Robinson is a comepletely different type of player to Black or Jonsson, and could easily play in a midfield with either, or both of them.

Same goes for Ruben, who is a different type of player but is also unlikely to be at Hearts next season.

Given that Stevenson isn't looking like he'll cut it, Skacel's dip in form and the fact he might not be here next season either, centre mid/attacking mid is easily our weakest position at the moment so to suggest there is no room in our squad for a promising young midfielder is nonsense.

It's also far too early to write him off. He did well when he played in the few first team outings he's had, so I don't know why his confidence would be gone.

At least that's what I think Renfrew was getting at. Unless you are actually foreign and/or stupid? :thumbsup:

Archived