Rio Ferdinand - Twitter

Say What Again

Say What Again

Not sure if this should be in the Terrace, the Shed, the Pub, or a newly created 'Pointless threads posted after a few beers' section. Regardless.....

When/why has Rio Ferdinands twitter page become a credible journalistic source? It seems I can't read or listen to any football report these days without his tweets being mentioned.

The boy on the BBC midweek final score is the latest offender, discussing the Barca v Arsenal game 'Rio Ferdinand has just tweeted "he's still the best referee in the business" what do you think about that Lee Dixon?'

As a one off I could maybe understand, but his twitter page has almost become a journalistic benchmark.

Granted, as a Premiership footballer and England international, his opinion on these matters carries more weight than mine, but it's always him. Everywhere.

When I work shifts midweek, I rely on BBC text updates for what's going on - they've started updating his ******* tweets in the updates.

Maybe it's just another example of lazy journos letting other people do their job for them, but I've even heard 'Rio Ferdinand has tweeted........' during a radio debate about the Olympic Stadium ffs.

Rant over - and apologies to anyone who's wasted 10 seconds of their life reading this. I shall be very soon stepping away from the PC and going to bed so no need to advise me in that respect. :)

He's a complete mod edit as well - he can hardly string a sentence together.

It annoys me just as much as when murders are reported in the news and the reporters mention the Facebook pages set up in the victims' honour, as well as quoting some of the posts: "yoo wur an angel will mis u bbz xxx".

**** off.

It annoys me just as much as when murders are reported in the news and the reporters mention the Facebook pages set up in the victims' honour, as well as quoting some of the posts: "yoo wur an angel will mis u bbz xxx".

**** off.

That really annoys me too, especially the insistence to quote from these sources verbatim, meaning the inevitable text speak and horrendous grammar is reproduced in all its glory.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

**** off.

Aye. I avoid places like Facebook and Twitter for exactly that reason, I don't really want to know what they think.

jamboinglasgow

Twitter has been a godsend to lazy journalists and attention seeking celebrities. So you have to do a live match text update, there is a bit of a lull you just go onto Rio Ferdinands page and put his tweet up, job done, it saves you for a few minutes. Need reaction on the story your writing about, Rio Ferdinand has tweeted something about that, write it in and you have filled another paragraph. It extends out beyond Rio, papers often carry a story about x celeb tweeting such and such. It can be used to dig out a story to fill the paper. The attention seeking celebrity can get themselves in the paper posting something mundane.

It is slowly destroying quality journalism (though to be fair to twitter it can be used well by journalists looking to get small bits info out about developing situations (see the unrest in the middle East.)

I agree above about the Facebook groups, people quoted may never have known the person or be a distant friend but the insincere condolences is posted all over a story. Though what troubles me more is when papers post facebook pictures of a recently died person in the paper. I dont like the idea of my facebook pictures being put in the paper if I was to tragically die.

Say What Again

The real question is, do you follow Robbie Savage as well?

:P

I don't follow anyone on twitter, but am aware Robbie Savage has a twitter account. How do I know this? After excessive media coverage of a twitter spat between him and........... yes, Rio Ferdinand.

:down:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

What's the problem?

Does it make any difference if what he says in person gets reported rather than what he says online? I'd rather listen to his thoughts than some random journos pish.

Get with the times, tweeps.

Jamboinparis

Twitter has been a godsend to lazy journalists and attention seeking celebrities. So you have to do a live match text update, there is a bit of a lull you just go onto Rio Ferdinands page and put his tweet up, job done, it saves you for a few minutes. Need reaction on the story your writing about, Rio Ferdinand has tweeted something about that, write it in and you have filled another paragraph. It extends out beyond Rio, papers often carry a story about x celeb tweeting such and such. It can be used to dig out a story to fill the paper. The attention seeking celebrity can get themselves in the paper posting something mundane.

It is slowly destroying quality journalism (though to be fair to twitter it can be used well by journalists looking to get small bits info out about developing situations (see the unrest in the middle East.)

I agree above about the Facebook groups, people quoted may never have known the person or be a distant friend but the insincere condolences is posted all over a story. Though what troubles me more is when papers post facebook pictures of a recently died person in the paper. I dont like the idea of my facebook pictures being put in the paper if I was to tragically die.

Can we use your Kickback avatar instead? :whistling:

A similar thing with celebrity news.

Any time a celebrity dies, you can guarantee sky and bbc will be saying "Demi Moore tweets <Deid celeb> will be missed"

Entire newspaper (OK, Daily Mail) articles now based on his tweets

The other week the Daily Mail ran a story about BBC Scotland's new weather forecaster, including comments lifted from The Shed. :blink:

Oh the shame of being quoted in the Daily Mail. :down:

Seen on the news after the Andy Carrol ?35 million transfer saga that Rio Ferdinand had tweeted something along the lines of "thats silly money for a player", the same Rio Ferdinand who went for ?30 million a good few years back.

Ray Winstone

Tweets from people like Rio Ferdinand are credible journalistic sources.

Saves them getting phone calls from a dozen journalists asking the same questions etc.

It's not lazy journalism using it tweets, it is a new way of using social media.

Twitter is highly regarded in the media industry.

**** off.

Angry guy. :down:

Say What Again
It's not lazy journalism using it tweets, it is a new way of using social media.

By all means, if it relates to the story, but Rio Ferdinands tweets ARE the story.

See both the Daily Mail link and my OP re the question put to Lee Dixon. It's nothing, Rio Ferdinand thinks this referee is good. Riveting.

Saves them getting phone calls from a dozen journalists asking the same questions etc.

But they would never have phoned Rio Ferdinand regarding a debate about the athletics facilities at the Olympic Satdium. He tweeted about it so they use it.

What next? Sally Gunnells thoughts on why Arsenal capitulated against Barcelona?

Twitter is highly regarded in the media industry.

Because others now do their job for them? :P

Ray Winstone

By all means, if it relates to the story, but Rio Ferdinands tweets ARE the story.

See both the Daily Mail link and my OP re the question put to Lee Dixon. It's nothing, Rio Ferdinand thinks this referee is good. Riveting.

But they would never have phoned Rio Ferdinand regarding a debate about the athletics facilities at the Olympic Satdium. He tweeted about it so they use it.

What next? Sally Gunnells thoughts on why Arsenal capitulated against Barcelona?

Because others now do their job for them? :P

I more meant with regards stories that involve Rio/England/Man U/football in general.

But it is always useful to have some quotes outside of the usual troop when it comes to reporting on athletics/the Olympic stadium.

Social media is now one of the fastest ways to find out about news, more so in a local sense, but the point still stands.

Look at some of the threads that go up in The Shed for example - when people hear sirens and see lights, or hear a helicopter or a street is cordoned off, often someone who posts on KB will know the answer before it ever makes the news (if it does go that far).

Social Media is the new train that journalists want to get on board.

scott_jambo

The other week the Daily Mail ran a story about BBC Scotland's new weather forecaster, including comments lifted from The Shed. :blink:

Oh the shame of being quoted in the Daily Mail. :down:

Link?

I more meant with regards stories that involve Rio/England/Man U/football in general.

But it is always useful to have some quotes outside of the usual troop when it comes to reporting on athletics/the Olympic stadium.

Social media is now one of the fastest ways to find out about news, more so in a local sense, but the point still stands.

Look at some of the threads that go up in The Shed for example - when people hear sirens and see lights, or hear a helicopter or a street is cordoned off, often someone who posts on KB will know the answer before it ever makes the news (if it does go that far).

Social Media is the new train that journalists want to get on board.

I work for a PR firm in town and I can confirm this is 100% correct. Social media is fast becoming the quickest and 'coolest' way to gather/leak information. It's invaluable if it's used correctly.

Denny Crane

Most top-flight English clubs (and a good few in the Championship as well as the Old Firm) restrict media access and stage-manage the weekly press conferences that they throw (hence you have all the papers reporting on the same story on a Friday or Saturday morning as the days of chapping on the dressing room door and asking for the player of your choice are long-since gone). I don't use Twitter myself but can see why journalists latch on to comments from the likes of Ferdinand given that they differ from the line the club wants to put out. Unfortunately, you have all the other papers latching onto such comments.

Most top-flight English clubs (and a good few in the Championship as well as the Old Firm) restrict media access and stage-manage the weekly press conferences that they throw (hence you have all the papers reporting on the same story on a Friday or Saturday morning as the days of chapping on the dressing room door and asking for the player of your choice are long-since gone). I don't use Twitter myself but can see why journalists latch on to comments from the likes of Ferdinand given that they differ from the line the club wants to put out. Unfortunately, you have all the other papers latching onto such comments.

I dont blame them (the teams) with the dross they get asked and then is put out. :down:

On the topic of twitter (sorry if mentioned before) does anyone know if Rudi's twitter is legit? I have noticed that no other hearts players follow him so that suggested to me that it is a fake

Archived