Gordon Smith

Ecce Romanov

I remember watching The Saint and Greavsie back in the mid/late 80s when there was the whole "OF too big for Scottish football" thing going on.

Jimmy Greaves's words were "Think you're big fish in a small pond? Come on down here and be minnows".

The EPL could be a rude-awakening for the OF. And they would miss the regular Champs League. I can't see them ever being top 4.

For a few years that would be the case, but a few years of getting ?20M+pa from TV would see them up there in the top 5-6 clubs in the UK. Only Manu, Arsenal, Liverpool are "bigger" clubs and Man City, Chelsea & Spurs would be overhauled in the medium term as they have money at present but not the same organic size...

Ecce Romanov

I think there are 2 things here. Rangers and Celtic going down south, which lets face it ain't going to happen. They are not needed or wanted.

What my OP was more about though was the arrogance of people like Gordon Smith who obviously thinks the OF are Scottish football. End of.

Like has been pointed out earlier in this thread, this is from the ex CEO of the SFA. That is scary (though not in the least surprising).

CF11JamTart

I think there are 2 things here. Rangers and Celtic going down south, which lets face it ain't going to happen. They are not needed or wanted.

What my OP was more about though was the arrogance of people like Gordon Smith who obviously thinks the OF are Scottish football. End of.

Like has been pointed out earlier in this thread, this is from the ex CEO of the SFA. That is scary (though not in the least surprising).

Agreed. The press clearly think that the OF are the be-all and end-all, but you'd think that the ex-CEO of SFA would at least go through the motions of thinking that there other teams in SCottish football.

CF11JamTart

I know I'm going off-beam and just having a gratuitous go at that walloper Smith, but I wonder how his post-Miko crusade to eliminate cheating from Scottish football went.

Francis Albert

I know I'm going off-beam and just having a gratuitous go at that walloper Smith, but I wonder how his post-Miko crusade to eliminate cheating from Scottish football went.

From his and the Scottish media perspective it was a great success. Miko was eliminated from Scottish football.

CF11JamTart

From his and the Scottish media perspective it was a great success. Miko was eliminated from Scottish football.

Good point, well presented. Campaign "Exterminate Miko" also meant that they could be seen to be strong and purposeful, and taking action, without annoying anyone connected to their chums in the OF.

Gordon Smith is an absolute fecking knob of the very, very highest calibre.

Bellend.

Archived