Wingers that don't cross from the byline

andy81

Just a thought which is probably more applicable when KK is playing, but would also benifit Elliott but our wingers don't really do this. In part this is because Temps plays from the left and cuts in on to his right, and Suso also tends to cut indside.

But the central midfield also tend to only play the ball to feet rather than trying to play balls in behind the full backs that would allow Temps / Driver / Suso to get to the byline. We probably need a better CM to allow us to do this, someone like S Fulton from previous JJ teams.

Wallace is actually probably the best at this at getting in the crosses from these positions.

?

I would not like to be a defender trying to challenge KK with KK attacking the ball facing the goal rather than with his back to the goal!!

Chris Benoit

I get what your saying but it isn't all down to the midfielders, both Temps and Suso always come short to receive the ball, the only player we have that tries to get in at the back of the defence is Elliott

The thing with Suso and Temps is that they are both best at taking on players before unleashing a shot at goal. I've yet to see substantial evidence that either of these players are good crossers of the ball.

And I've always said that Driver's biggest weakness is his inability to cross.

Johanes de Silentio

I think that crosses whipped in at pace from the byline are the type that cause most problems for defenders.

It's much harder these days, I think, for wingers to get past defenders and whip those kind of crosses in - I think defenders are nowadays better drilled in defending these situations?

Used to love watching Neil McCann skinning right-backs for sheer pace - he didn't always put a great cross in, but Christ it was exciting to watch - I was one of those you would hear shouting "skin him" when Neil picked up the ball out wide! (sorry about that! :ninja: )

I think that crosses that come from deeper positions are easier for defenders to deal with, wheareas crosses whipped in at pace from the byline can cause panic and mayhem - the second ball from a clearance or deflection can be just as dangerous.

One of my favourite wingers, though, Forest's John Robertson, wasn't the quickest, and he played on the left despite being right footed - it was more about being able to create a yard to get a cross in - and his crossing was tremendous.

Johanes de Silentio

I mind when Levein came in, he looked at our stats and noticed how few crosses we were getting in, so he want with a 4-4-2 with two wide men - the game plan was pretty much to get the ball wide an get crosses in - only thing was that our wide players were Sloan or Hamill on the left, and Boyack on the right! :teehee:

At least it was a game plan that didn't involve lobbing the ball in the general direction of our front men.

I think that crosses whipped in at pace from the byline are the type that cause most problems for defenders.

It's much harder these days, I think, for wingers to get past defenders and whip those kind of crosses in - I think defenders are nowadays better drilled in defending these situations?

Used to love watching Neil McCann skinning right-backs for sheer pace - he didn't always put a great cross in, but Christ it was exciting to watch - I was one of those you would hear shouting "skin him" when Neil picked up the ball out wide! (sorry about that! :ninja: )

I think that crosses that come from deeper positions are easier for defenders to deal with, wheareas crosses whipped in at pace from the byline can cause panic and mayhem - the second ball from a clearance or deflection can be just as dangerous.

One of my favourite wingers, though, Forest's John Robertson, wasn't the quickest, and he played on the left despite being right footed - it was more about being able to create a yard to get a cross in - and his crossing was tremendous.

Agree with the above think they are harder to deal with but seen less and less these days not just with Hearts.

I actually think that Craig Thomson could be the man to deliver with regards to this. No Neil McCann by any stretch of the immagination but very good delivery generally (Saturday excepted). If wingers going to coninue to cut in this should create space for fullbacks to get down the line!

Hot since 86

The best crosses i have seen all season both came from Novikovas against the Hivs and i think if we can get him back with a bit of confidence it gives us another option.

We also have two young fullbacks in Wallace and Thomson who are great crossers of the ball and i agree that we should probably utilise this more.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

If we had two wingers that consistently whipped in balls like Novi's against Hibs Kyle would score loads.

Jambof3tornado

I dont even think playing without big Kev should stop us pinging crosses into the box!! Come on boys get crossing.

kylelauren01

I dont even think playing without big Kev should stop us pinging crosses into the box!! Come on boys get crossing.

A perfect example being Eliott's goal against Hamilton from an inch perfect Wallace cross. Given the way Hamilton played I think that game was the most we have got wide and put crosses in.

Jambof3tornado

I dont mean to down the lad but Temps in recent weeks looks to have lost either a yard of pace or a wee bit of confidence to go at players. I am sure JJ and the team will get him going again,or could it be that with Novi away theres less competition for a start??

I remember watching a World cup analysis showing that most goals in the tournament actually came from the "D" rather than crosses from wide. Also, note the number of corner kicks to goals ratio in our recent game, I'd guess it's 100:1 (I can only recall Zal's goal a couple of weeks ago). I'd say we need a CM that can actually put the ball into the path of our on running strikers in and around the box, someone who can tee them up or do a defence-splitting give-and-go pass. All our midfielders since Hartley tend to push the ball wide leaving our forwards trying to dig the ball out from the "dead" corner areas.

Sign Eremenko now!!!

colinmaroon

The most dangerous ball for the defence is the ball cut back from the byline, on the deck, although in the air is almost as good - but however, it's the cut back that's number one!

Johanes de Silentio

The other obvious thing to say on this is that players who have the pace and ability to get past defenders and whip in pacey crosses don't come cheap!

special agent oso

Put the right footed Temps on the right wing and the left footed Driver on the left wing, then they should be able to skin the defender without cutting inside and then whip the crosses in (or is that to simple?)

I remember watching a World cup analysis showing that most goals in the tournament actually came from the "D" rather than crosses from wide. Also, note the number of corner kicks to goals ratio in our recent game, I'd guess it's 100:1 (I can only recall Zal's goal a couple of weeks ago). I'd say we need a CM that can actually put the ball into the path of our on running strikers in and around the box, someone who can tee them up or do a defence-splitting give-and-go pass. All our midfielders since Hartley tend to push the ball wide leaving our forwards trying to dig the ball out from the "dead" corner areas.

Sign Eremenko now!!!

Thinking of that beautifully paced pass from Karipidis for Glen in the game at Easter Road ... with the exception of Black not one of our midfield players ever play that straight ball through for the strikers.

I would like JJ to sign a passer - Stevie Fulton type - and a striker with blazing pace in the summer.

Jambof3tornado

Put the right footed Temps on the right wing and the left footed Driver on the left wing, then they should be able to skin the defender without cutting inside and then whip the crosses in (or is that to simple?)

Very much this. Its not rocket science is it?

Archived