Best Buy of the season?

The White Cockade

The White Cockade

Easy one

Kris Commons at Celtic for ?300,000

Always rated him and an absolute steal at that price

Probably play a major part in taking the SPL title to Parkhead

In fact if Temps and Andy Driver are worth the ?4/5m plus that some people on here think they are then

its probably the bargain of the century

Rangers must be gutted they missed out

gotta agree ?300.000 for commons is a steal. Hate Celtic but that was a great bit of business, chipped in with a few goals already,

rudi must stay

Easy one

In fact if Temps and Andy Driver are worth the ?4/5m plus that some people on here think they are then

he was a key part in one of the worst team ever to play in the Premiership, just shows you how poor the SPL is IMO.

The White Cockade

he was a key part in one of the worst team ever to play in the Premiership, just shows you how poor the SPL is IMO.

Got to agree

We are closer to Irish league standard now than English

Not sure what can be done to stop Scottish football going down the pan completely

Charlie-Brown

Commons was only ?300K but he was out of contract in the summer and Celtic are paying him a reported ?20K per week that trumped the ?15K rangers were prepared to pay him.

He's proving to be a very good player for Celtic but in SPL terms he's probably one of the more expensive players of recent times excluding big transfer fee signings like Jelavic, Hooper and laughably Lafferty. I've excluded pre-financial crisis signings like Davis, Edu, Bougherra etc who cost a lot but in a more inflated transfer market.

Nobody outside Glasgow could have afforded to sign Commons so he's not exactly a shrewd signing in the same way that perhaps Eremenko, Kyle or even Templeton have proven to be where most clubs are forced to operate with little or no money to spend.

Jamboinparis

Commons was only ?300K but he was out of contract in the summer and Celtic are paying him a reported ?20K per week that trumped the ?15K rangers were prepared to pay him.

He's proving to be a very good player for Celtic but in SPL terms he's probably one of the more expensive players of recent times excluding big transfer fee signings like Jelavic, Hooper and laughably Lafferty. I've excluded pre-financial crisis signings like Davis, Edu, Bougherra etc who cost a lot but in a more inflated transfer market.

Nobody outside Glasgow could have afforded to sign Commons so he's not exactly a shrewd signing in the same way that perhaps Eremenko, Kyle or even Templeton have proven to be where most clubs are forced to operate with little or no money to spend.

I think Lafferty signed at the same time as Edu and Bougherra, in the summer of 2008. Rangers spent a lot of money that season - well over 10 million I'm sure.

I know he is only on loan, but Eremenko has got to be up there. He is a key reason why Kilmarnock at doing so well this season. Classy player who could be playing for much better.

I think Lafferty signed at the same time as Edu and Bougherra, in the summer of 2008. Rangers spent a lot of money that season - well over 10 million I'm sure.

I know he is only on loan, but Eremenko has got to be up there. He is a key reason why Kilmarnock at doing so well this season. Classy player who could be playing for much better.

After yesterdays slap on Zal, I wouldnt really say he is a classy player.

No doubt what the worst bit of transfer business this season has been.

Swapping:

diouf.jpg for Rangers-Kenny-Miller-cele-001.jpg

has cost Rangers

CB%20trophy%20254.jpg445-1196208103-318px-uefa_champions_league_logo_svg.png

and pile-of-money.jpg

Gigolo-Aunt

Blackman as a loan would have been in with a shout but he has been a bit quiet since moving to Aberdeen.

It does not really say much for Scottish football that a player signed in Jan and has done "well" would be signing of the season. Truth is though, struggling to come up with another name.

The chap from Israel has been good for Celtic.

Radioactive Mince

Got to agree

We are closer to Irish league standard now than English

Absolute nonsense, IMO. I started following Hearts in 1993. I don't think the quality of our league has changed at all from then; if anything I'd say the standard has improved slightly.

The difference is that the nation we compare ourselves with has a league which prints money for itself, thus making us look way further behind than we ever were.

Not sure if he's this season's signing, but Hooper for me would be the find of recent times. I would've thought a Championship top scorer would have had a few Prem clubs in for him, as well. Quite the coup for Celtic, really.

Say What Again

Exactly what I was going to post.

A 'steal' at ?300k.

Oh, and ?1m per year for 3 years and, what, ?250k signing on fee?

Good player at SPL level? Undoubtedly. But he's hardly bargain basement.

As someone else has said, I'd go Eremenko.

Charlie-Brown

I think the OP Camp Town Ladies is correct in that for ?300K Kris Commons represents excellent value considering some of the millions the Old Firm have squandered on some complete muppets over the years however you can only really judge him in the context of Old Firm signings, by any of the other 10 teams standards of affordability he's unobtainable. When you think what Killie & Inverness paid to get Connor Sammon & Adam Rooney and the respective goal returns they provided those teams this season I know what represents better value for money.

Nookie Bear

Easy one

OTT, and slightly overly-enthusiastic, pro-Celtic thread IMO.

Commons is decent but will fade away in that celtic team the same way Robson, Flood and Hartley did. He was bought to boost their title chances and will be surplus to requirements next season.

Templeton'sUnderpants

Izaguirre 600-700k reportedly, quality player best in the SPL for me this season.

Archived