wii problem

Andyeyespy

uniwildcat38

I have a different wii problem - since yesterday our console won't eject the disc anymore. Looks like the only solution is to disassemble the entire case to get at the drive, but bloody Nintendo have used some weird three-armed screw which no screwdriver on earth outside of a Nintendo repair centre actually fits.

Andy, sorry to hijack your thread but felt the need to vent.

I have a different wii problem - since yesterday our console won't eject the disc anymore. Looks like the only solution is to disassemble the entire case to get at the drive, but bloody Nintendo have used some weird three-armed screw which no screwdriver on earth outside of a Nintendo repair centre actually fits.

Dont know that 'kit' myself but has it not got the wee hole that you can stick a paper clip in to eject it manually

like a standard CD drive ?

joe.gausden

Don't have a wii myself but is there not a small hole at the drive where you can insert a pin to release the disc drawer like you get on PC's or laptops?

Unplug the power then restart the wii. Press eject and the disc should come out. The screw are triwing and you dont need to take it apart.

Not reading discs could be a problem with the laser. Will it read cd's ?

Has this happened to anyone, Looking for some advice

place it in a sink full of warm soapy water and claim it on your house insurance.

the laser eye will be needing cleaned, quite a common fault with reading disc errors on DVD players, CD/DVD drawers on comps, game consoles.

the laser eye will be needing cleaned, quite a common fault with reading disc errors on DVD players, CD/DVD drawers on comps, game consoles.

How would i go about doing that? is there somewhere in edinburgh i could take it

:D

Sometimes it's the simple things that people don't notice Beats. :P

How would i go about doing that? is there somewhere in edinburgh i could take it

there used to be a place in leith walk not sure if its still there though.

doing it yourself if you've no knowledge with electric devices could be a pain, tools aint easy to get, wee tooling place in morrison st or maplan sometimes have the screw drivers for opening the case, theres probably a vid on youtube showing you how to dismantle it. then its just a case of removing the cover from the DVD drawer and wiping the eye with a cotton bud and some alcohol cleaner and drying it, then reassemble it. not sure about Wii but i've done an xbox DVD player and a CD rom on a few computers before.

i'm pretty sure there'll be a tuitorial somewhere( google ) showing you how to dismantle and telling you what tools you need.

Buy a lens cleaning disc. They only cost a tenner and they're basically just a normal disc with a wee brush glued on.

just googled "repairing Wii" and theres lots of sites coming up, unfortunately their all blocked in my work so you should have a wee look and see if you fancy taking the job on yourself, save quite a few quid with the DIY.

the only other problem you could have is if the laser eye has packed in altogether, if the discs are spinning and its trying to read them then the drawer should be fine and its a case of the laser eye just struggling to read the disc probably because of dust. if you took it to a shop they'll probably replace the whole DVD rom drawer and charge you for the part.

Buy a lens cleaning disc. They only cost a tenner and they're basically just a normal disc with a wee brush glued on.

DO NOT use one of these cleaners on a slot loading drive ..... if its not broken now it will be after using this!!

If you do want a drive cleaner for the Wii then they do special cleaners.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-RVLALS-Lens-Cleaning-Kit/dp/B001GZT1UI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1299185381&sr=8-1

These are totally different from standard brush type cleaning discs.

I had the same problem with discs not reading and bought the cleaner I linked above. Although was of no use cause the Lens on the drive was knackered. So I bought an external hdd and now play all my games without discs. :P

Has this happened to anyone, Looking for some advice

I had a similar problem a wee while ago (my wee boy tried to put a different type of disc in, resulting in the Wii being unable to read any discs).

I got it repaired at a relatively low cost by Nintendo official channels: Nintendo Repairs

Archived