Laying a path

Disser Pointon

Disser Pointon

I want to lay a small path in my back garden between my patio and sheds (only about 20ft if that). Whats the best thing to lay the slabs on? The ground that they are going onto is just a lawn at present so I would obviously dig a channel for them but should I put them onto cement or just level them on whin dust?

Cheers

joe.gausden

Whin dust or concrete sand (sharp sand) would be fine. The problem with cementing them down is if you want to change them in the future you would have to break it all up whereas if laid on sand / dust it's just a case of lifting them. I'd also put down some sort of membrane to stop the weeds underneath the sand / dust.

itsnomarooned

Not sure why you'd put cement down - why bother with slabs if you've created a concrete path. Sand goes under slabs.

However, I am, without a shadow of a doubt, THE worst DIYer in the entire world so I could be talking a rare old amount of horseshit! (though I have laid slabs and I put sand under them and they're still in position).

Disser Pointon

Whin dust or concrete sand (sharp sand) would be fine. The problem with cementing them down is if you want to change them in the future you would have to break it all up whereas if laid on sand / dust it's just a case of lifting them. I'd also put down some sort of membrane to stop the weeds underneath the sand / dust.

Cheers!

joe.gausden

Ah - I take it "whin dust" a real thing. I thought it was a spelling mistake.

It's just dust ground down from whin chip (concrete chip)

Check youtube using different key words.

I built a waterfall/pond and done my kitchen

after watching youtube videos.

I want to lay a small path in my back garden between my patio and sheds (only about 20ft if that). Whats the best thing to lay the slabs on? The ground that they are going onto is just a lawn at present so I would obviously dig a channel for them but should I put them onto cement or just level them on whin dust?

Once you've lifted the turf, you want to make sure you have enough depth to prepare the ground, and lay a "weed proof" membrane.

You want to lay about 50-75mm of Type 1. and use a vibrating plate to compact it. Then spread a dry mix of whin dust (or sharp sand) and cement, and lay the slabs directly onto this. Use more of this dry mix to brush over the surface filling the joints between the slabs.

Over time the mix will absorb moisture and go off, meaning your slabs are on a solid base, as sand/dust only will move over time. Using this method, you will still be able to lift and reuse the slabs in the future, if necessary.

It is worth taking the time to prepare the ground, and to do this properly, as it saves any problems in the long run. One last tip is that, if you're laying the slabs like "stepping stones" then measure up to ensure that when laid, the top of them is level with the surrounding grass. This means you can run right over them with a lawnmower, and will save you masses of time and hassle.

Disser Pointon

Once you've lifted the turf, you want to make sure you have enough depth to prepare the ground, and lay a "weed proof" membrane.

You want to lay about 50-75mm of Type 1. and use a vibrating plate to compact it. Then spread a dry mix of whin dust (or sharp sand) and cement, and lay the slabs directly onto this. Use more of this dry mix to brush over the surface filling the joints between the slabs.

Over time the mix will absorb moisture and go off, meaning your slabs are on a solid base, as sand/dust only will move over time. Using this method, you will still be able to lift and reuse the slabs in the future, if necessary.

It is worth taking the time to prepare the ground, and to do this properly, as it saves any problems in the long run. One last tip is that, if you're laying the slabs like "stepping stones" then measure up to ensure that when laid, the top of them is level with the surrounding grass. This means you can run right over them with a lawnmower, and will save you masses of time and hassle.

Cheers, what's type 1?

Is the whin dust cement mix 50/50?

joe.gausden

Type one is just stone. It would be used to create a solid base before you laid your sand / dust.

Dust / Cement mix wouldn't be 50/50. You really wouldn't need to put that much cement in your mix.

Cheers, what's type 1?

Is the whin dust cement mix 50/50?

Sorry, I should've said.

Joe is spot on. :thumb:

Type 1. is stone in a mix of sizes to form a good solid base when compacted, and the vibrating plate to compact it can be hired from any tool hire company.

For the dry mix, I'd suggest about 4:1 (four parts sand : one part cement) if you've laid it on a solid base, or maybe about 3:1 if you're putting it directly onto the soil.

Disser Pointon
It's only a garden path,make a concrete path cheap as chips :thumbsup:

Looks sh*te though!!

Disser Pointon
Looks sh*te though!!

What about some monoblock

Bit expensive and more fiddly I would have thought?

south morocco

Member to give them a wee tap down into place(not too much or you might snap them ) and a good key up! :thumbsup:

southside1874

If I was a novice, I would dig your line of the path down about 50mm, roll out some terram and fill with decorative stones. This is by far the easier way. If your stuck on slabs then dig down about 150mm, roll out the terram and whack some type 1 down leaving you about 50mm from top of finished path level. Mix up a 5 part concrete sand to 1 part cement mortar and lay slabs on the mortar. trowel the mortar down so you have a continuous bed of mortar around the edge of the slab and one in the middle. Whack the slab to correct level using a rubber mallet and spirit level.

Granite/whin dust is good but not suitable for a single row of slabs IMO and very difficult for an amateur thus leaving you with rocking slabs. may I suggest the indian sandstone from Thistle builders supply.........unless Joe does similar.

Disser Pointon
If I was a novice, I would dig your line of the path down about 50mm, roll out some terram and fill with decorative stones. This is by far the easier way. If your stuck on slabs then dig down about 150mm, roll out the terram and whack some type 1 down leaving you about 50mm from top of finished path level. Mix up a 5 part concrete sand to 1 part cement mortar and lay slabs on the mortar. trowel the mortar down so you have a continuous bed of mortar around the edge of the slab and one in the middle. Whack the slab to correct level using a rubber mallet and spirit level.

Granite/whin dust is good but not suitable for a single row of slabs IMO and very difficult for an amateur thus leaving you with rocking slabs. may I suggest the indian sandstone from Thistle builders supply.........unless Joe does similar.

What's terram!?

Nucky Thompson

I wouldn't worry about membrane for weeds as it's only a path and should only be one 2'x2' slab wide. I would lay it on concrete sand with 10mm joints between the slabs pointed with a strong mortar mix.

Archived