Last day of the season.

scott_jambo

Celtic Vs Hearts.

Celtic already have won the league.

We are two points behind Rangers.

How does a Neil Lennon Celtic team line up and what sort of mentality would he send the team out with?

Rangers finishing 3rd and with McCoist installed in a debt ridden Rangers team the next season - that one result could be the last card before it all comes tumbling down ushering in a new period of Celtic dominance for the next 20 years. yucky.gif

Or does Neil put out his strongest team and they go out trying their utmost to beat Hearts.

(must take into account how small minded and bigoted Neil Lennon is)

Celtic Vs Hearts.

Celtic already have won the league.

We are two points behind Rangers.

How does a Neil Lennon Celtic team line up and what sort of mentality would he send the team out with?

Rangers finishing 3rd and with McCoist installed in a debt ridden Rangers team the next season - that one result could be the last card before it all comes tumbling down ushering in a new period of Celtic dominance for the next 20 years. yucky.gif

Or does Neil put out his strongest team and they go out trying their utmost to beat Hearts.

(must take into account how small minded and bigoted Neil Lennon is)

Is this the Neil Lennon who once said during a TV interview where he expressed pleasure at one of our European defeats and said : quote "because I really dont like Hearts"

Personally if he's got the title in the bag I dont think he'll give a toss what happens afterwards and although keeping Rangers out of second may work to their long term advantage, its minimal IMO

I reckon the last game against Celtic this season will be at Tynecastle. They struggle to win there even when they're trying so it might well be a moot point.

BTW. do you think a Roman Catholic who chose to represent Northern Ireland in a set up dominated by Protestants is likely to be a bigot ? He's many things. I dont think he can be accused of that though on the evidence available TBH

Is this the Neil Lennon who once said during a TV interview where he expressed pleasure at one of our European defeats and said : quote "because I really dont like Hearts"

Personally if he's got the title in the bag I dont think he'll give a toss what happens afterwards and although keeping Rangers out of second may work to their long term advantage, its minimal IMO

I reckon the last game against Celtic this season will be at Tynecastle. They struggle to win there even when they're trying so it might well be a moot point

I wouldn't want Celtic to do a 'St Mirren' with us.

But I would still love to see the GFA blazers go mental if Lennon was fielding 17 year old 5'8 centre half up against Kevin Kyle and emergency loaning Simon Donnelly and Regi Blinker for this game. biggrin.gif

Neil Lennon hates us, but we don't send him bullets in the post so he doesn't hate us as much as that lot. (although it seems to be fashionable for some Celtic fans to say "I hate Hearts more than Rangers because their huns without a busfair"). :facepalm:

I wouldn't want Celtic to do a 'St Mirren' with us.

But I would love to see the GFA blazers go mental if Lennon was fielding 17 year old 5'8 centre half up against Kevin Kyle and emergency loaning Simon Donnelly and Regi Blinker for this game. biggrin.gif

Neil Lennon hates us, but we don't send him bullets in the post so he doesn't hate us as much as that lot. (although it seems to be fashionable for some Celtic fans to say "I hate Hearts more than Rangers because their huns without a busfair"). :facepalm:

Celtic once (back in the day) fielded a team of youths and reserves against us on the last day of the season, which they would have been severely criticised for and perhaps even fined, had they not thrashed us off the park.

I still suspect to this day that they lay down to us in the run in to the end of the 05/06 season

Johanes de Silentio

Celtic once (back in the day) fielded a team of youths and reserves against us on the last day of the season, which...thrashed us off the park.

I still suspect to this day that they lay down to us in the run in to the end of the 05/06 season

Yup - well, maybe not the whole run-in, but the last Celtic-Hearts game? Possibly/Probably.

Yup - well, maybe not the whole run-in, but the last Celtic-Hearts game? Possibly/Probably.

I think they had a hard fought draw with Rangers the week before they played us. Must have taken a lot out of them.

Charlie-Brown

Hmmmmmmmm when Mowbray's Celtic were losing 4-0 at St Mirren last season how many people were envisaging ANY dominance by Celtic nevermind a multiyear or decade long dominance by Timothy? Things can change very quickly in football, prior to New Year Lennon & his Celtic team were being written off now they are apparently all conquering? Celtic have spent significantly on this team and ramped up debt to do so - only Aiden McGeady's big transfer fee has helped mask that. Celtic will need to sell on some of these players and use the procceds to eliminate that debt if they want to meet the forthcoming UEFA Fair-play regulations as this season financial results will be the start & included future UEFA financial assessment of clubs so Celtic won't be able to go on decade long spending & splashing the cash especially as Champions League money will be harder to come by in future seasons.

Rangers have also been steadily improving their financial position since 2008 even if that is causing them some difficulties in the short term they've still won at least 2 of the last 3 SPL titles and could yet still possibly win this year. Neither Old Firm team will be able to simply BUY the SPL title as both have tried and succeeded in doing in the last decade & more - there will greater limits on what they can and can't do so the next 10 years is likely to be quite different from the last 10-15 years in terms of massive spending and wages at the Old Firm clubs. Mowbray made some poor choices - one or 2 wrong moves and Lennon or McCoist could easily do the same and everything changes again.

Hmmmmmmmm when Mowbray's Celtic were losing 4-0 at St Mirren last season how many people were envisaging ANY dominance by Celtic nevermind a multiyear or decade long dominance by Timothy? Things can change very quickly in football, prior to New Year Lennon & his Celtic team were being written off now they are apparently all conquering? Celtic have spent significantly on this team and ramped up debt to do so - only Aiden McGeady's big transfer fee has helped mask that. Celtic will need to sell on some of these players and use the procceds to eliminate that debt if they want to meet the forthcoming UEFA Fair-play regulations as this season financial results will be the start & included future UEFA financial assessment of clubs so Celtic won't be able to go on decade long spending & splashing the cash especially as Champions League money will be harder to come by in future seasons.

Rangers have also been steadily improving their financial position since 2008 even if that is causing them some difficulties in the short term they've still won at least 2 of the last 3 SPL titles and could yet still possibly win this year. Neither Old Firm team will be able to simply BUY the SPL title as both have tried and succeeded in doing in the last decade & more - there will greater limits on what they can and can't do so the next 10 years is likely to be quite different from the last 10-15 years in terms of massive spending and wages at the Old Firm clubs. Mowbray made some poor choices - one or 2 wrong moves and Lennon or McCoist could easily do the same and everything changes again.

Totally different proposition now, Charlie. Mowbray was out of his depth - Smith is Rangers best manager of all time. The facts are that he cannot replace or bring in the players needed anymore.

In regards to the bit in bold - what I am saying is that if Rangers were to finish 3rd again and for this whole tax thing to blow up in Rangers faces, plus Lloyds turning the screw with no takeover bids in the offing then Rangers could find themselves in serious trouble. If Celtic can keep things relatively stable then there really wouldn't be a contest, imo.

Charlie-Brown

Totally different proposition now, Charlie. Mowbray was out of his depth - Smith is Rangers best manager of all time. The facts are that he cannot replace or bring in the players needed anymore.

In regards to the bit in bold - what I am saying is that if Rangers were to finish 3rd again and for this whole tax thing to blow up in Rangers faces, plus Lloyds turning the screw with no takeover bids in the offing then Rangers could find themselves in serious trouble. If Celtic can keep things relatively stable then there really wouldn't be a contest, imo.

Hearts are within 10 points of leaders Celtic with a wage bill that is a fraction of the size and a team that cost almost nothing in transfer fees. Sure McCoist will be a rookie manager albeit with more of a grounding and traineeship than Lennon went into this season with. If Jim Jefferies can build a team that is almost up there with zero money then Rangers even with an annual budget reduced to ?15M should still be able to put together a strong team and squad even if that now means they have to look at nabbing some SPL players and loan-deals for players where previously they would have gone into the transfer market and spent a few million. Sure they are going to have to be canny with what money they have available and get the most for their money but Jefferies has proved this season that it's do-able and Rangers will always be a strong attraction for many players.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I don't think the manager of a professional football club would ever tell his team to not bother trying, regardless of potential benefits to the club... Just too many links in the chain that could lead to the incident going public. Certain players of a certain persuasion however have gone on record in the past as "not trying a leg" in crucial games involving 'their team' and their current employers.

I don't think there is much chance that Lennon would risk the potential problems of the back-lash for something so risky.

mahgrassyshoes

Celtic have a very young team at the minute. If they can hold on to the majority of their players they can they can dominate for the foreseeable future without bringing in too many faces. If this does happen they will probably be able to break even from their turnover

ernie winchester

Celtic have a very young team at the minute. If they can hold on to the majority of their players they can they can dominate for the foreseeable future without bringing in too many faces. If this does happen they will probably be able to break even from their turnover

I agree it looks that way but we've seen this scenario before when Celtic were (supposedly) 24 hours away from bankruptcy and Rangers were enjoying their 9-in-a-row run. Fergus McCann came in and the popular view of the media was that it would take Celtic 20 years before they could even compete with Rangers again, given the big-money signings Rangers were making and their strong financial position. It took them about 3? As Charlie says, things can change very quickly.

Charlie-Brown

Celtic's best players will move on to bigger & better just like anybody elses. Celtic are not at the top of the football tree so if richer or bigger clubs in England or wherever want their players then they will go whether it's to Man Utd, Spurs or even Mddlesbrough or West Brom. This will undoubtedly help them financially as they have some good players worth big transfer fees and more than they paid for them so they will get their money back that way but they won't be able to re-invest all of it in the team if they wish to break even - only the surplus part.

UEFA stated on the 2nd of February that they were aware of clubs big spending during the transfer windows - the also stated that clubs had to be mindful of future requirements and consequences.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/footballfirst/protectingthegame/financialfairplay/news/newsid=1590370.html

Chad Sexington

That was actually said before the 2006 cup final on Tam Cowan's TV show when he was asked why he wanted Gretna to win.

Still a w*nk though.

Charlie-Brown

I would bet quite a lot of money that no big club ever gets into serious trouble with the financial fair-play regulations.

They would have to be given special dispensation to get a UEFA license to enter UEFA Competitions - if abuses were too blatant then these would be contestable by other clubs who might feel disadvantaged having abided by the new rules.

I suppose it's a case of wait & see - but the potential threat of barring teams from entry to UEFA competitions is a quite a strong force to get them to improve their financial management and performance. It was has also been approved by the European Commission in Brussels so it now has some legal standing.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/footballfirst/protectingthegame/financialfairplay/news/newsid=1494481.html

Hearts Heritage

It has already happened. Last day of season 1958-59.

Hearts lost 2-1 to Celtic after being 1-0 up. Rangers lost to Aberdeen. We lost the league.

Charlie-Brown

It has already happened. Last day of season 1958-59.

Hearts lost 2-1 to Celtic after being 1-0 up. Rangers lost to Aberdeen. We lost the league.

Incredible that we've lost out on the title 3 times on the final day given how infrequent our league challenges are - still at least if bad things happen in three's then going by 1959, 1965 & 1986 we've already had our 3 so maybe next time we will be luckier!

mahgrassyshoes

I agree it looks that way but we've seen this scenario before when Celtic were (supposedly) 24 hours away from bankruptcy and Rangers were enjoying their 9-in-a-row run. Fergus McCann came in and the popular view of the media was that it would take Celtic 20 years before they could even compete with Rangers again, given the big-money signings Rangers were making and their strong financial position. It took them about 3? As Charlie says, things can change very quickly.

It's very true, but as it stands a period of Celtic dominance does seem likely. Don't really remember much of the McCann takeover, but was it not around the start of the period where Sky were starting to invest a bit in football? Maybe he was a bit opportunistic that way? Regardless, there doesn't appear to be a white knight on the horizon for Rangers as McCann was back then.

Celtic's best players will move on to bigger & better just like anybody elses. Celtic are not at the top of the football tree so if richer or bigger clubs in England or wherever want their players then they will go whether it's to Man Utd, Spurs or even Mddlesbrough or West Brom. This will undoubtedly help them financially as they have some good players worth big transfer fees and more than they paid for them so they will get their money back that way but they won't be able to re-invest all of it in the team if they wish to break even - only the surplus part.

UEFA stated on the 2nd of February that they were aware of clubs big spending during the transfer windows - the also stated that clubs had to be mindful of future requirements and consequences.

http://www.uefa.com/...id=1590370.html

I'm not sure of the in's and out's of it all charlie, I was just working on the rough basis that clubs have to break even over 3 years? If it starts from last May, with the McGeady money plus their turn over, if Celtic hold on to the majority of their current team and replace the few that do leave, especially if they buy quite cheap as they have done and sell for more as they likely will, I don't think they will have much problem breaking even. One lucky year of making the CL group stages and they're laughing. When I say majority, they can afford to lose 5 or 6 players from this team as they will replace them and still be capable of breaking even over a 3 year period.

Charlie-Brown

Izaguirre and Kayal are certainly attracting interest and will probably earn Celts a big transfer fee when sold, I suppose Broony might as well if some English manager is daft enought to buy him?

It's harder to say what value Hooper and Stokes have as even as recently as last season Robbie Keane, Kris Boyd & Scott McDonald could score for fun in the SPL but have made zero meaningful impact at all in England this season so high scoring SPL players might not be as highly valued in England as the Glasgow tabloids would like people to believe.

Archived