Next season delayed so old firm can play friendly

ritchies75

SPL want to start the season on 23rd July next season which would help Hearts but Celtic have arranged to play in the Dublin Cup on 30th July. Rangers also want to arrange a friendly for that date. SPL should tell them to get stuffed and if they fail to fulfil their fixture should be deducted points.The Old Firm want the season to start on 6th August so guess what will happen....

"We should be playing football at the start of July!" argues BBC Scotland football pundit Chick Young - that way a winter break could be accommodated when the Old Firm could play their "glamour friendlies".

I actually agree with that cockhead for once.

FTOF.

"We should be playing football at the start of July!" argues BBC Scotland football pundit Chick Young - that way a winter break could be accommodated when the Old Firm could play their "glamour friendlies".

I actually agree with that cockhead for once.

FTOF.

It's worse for me i agree with both of you :P

SPL want to start the season on 23rd July next season which would help Hearts but Celtic have arranged to play in the Dublin Cup on 30th July. Rangers also want to arrange a friendly for that date. SPL should tell them to get stuffed and if they fail to fulfil their fixture should be deducted points.The Old Firm want the season to start on 6th August so guess what will happen....

Absolutely right, we should not be cowed by either of the Infirm, GTF :down::down:

Absolutely right, we should not be cowed by either of the Infirm, GTF :down::down:

We've started in July before. It's a good idea since you get a few more weeks of good weather and a bit of breathing space if games are cancelled in the winter time.

The OF will be accomodated. The SPL are shit scared of them. They are so far up the OF arse they don't know whether they need a haircut or a shite.

I have absolutely no love for the Old Firm but...

...as far as I understand it, the SPL has yet to announce when the season will start. As such, nothing has been delayed.

It's perfectly reasonable for any team to have pre-season arrangements in place in February. If it was Hearts suddenly being asked to rearrange a potentially lucrative friendly, I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of complaints from Tynecastle.

Tell them to have their friendly midweek? With the 40 rounds of european qualifiers we will now have to go through, plus the arctic winters. I would say we would benefit from an earlier start. All these wee countries are usually halfway through when British teams play them and we get pumped.

I have absolutely no love for the Old Firm but...

...as far as I understand it, the SPL has yet to announce when the season will start. As such, nothing has been delayed.

It's perfectly reasonable for any team to have pre-season arrangements in place in February. If it was Hearts suddenly being asked to rearrange a potentially lucrative friendly, I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of complaints from Tynecastle.

I do think it is a bit silly to wait till Feb/March to announce the start date for next season but we all know that if this was Hearts Hibs or Dundee Utd they would be told to cancel the friendly. In fact Dundee had arranged a friendly against Everrton last season then were forced to cancel it to play a Challenge cup match. Its the usual double standards with one rule for the Old Firm and one for everyone else. Also next season has to end by the first week in May as the European Championships kick off in first week of June so if the SPL are forced to start the season in August there should be no complaints about fixture pile ups from the Old Firm.

I do think it is a bit silly to wait till Feb/March to announce the start date for next season but we all know that if this was Hearts Hibs or Dundee Utd they would be told to cancel the friendly. In fact Dundee had arranged a friendly against Everrton last season then were forced to cancel it to play a Challenge cup match. Its the usual double standards with one rule for the Old Firm and one for everyone else. Also next season has to end by the first week in May as the European Championships kick off in first week of June so if the SPL are forced to start the season in August there should be no complaints about fixture pile ups from the Old Firm.

But....the Challenge Cup has nothing to do with the SPL?

I don't doubt the logic in starting the season earlier. However, I also understand any objections any member clubs may have to any proposed schedule which may cost them money, particularly when it involves alternative plans that they have made in good faith.

I also agree that any objections from the Old Firm are likely to carry more weight than any potential objections from other clubs, but that's all a bit of a moot point at the moment.

Archived