Hearts 'Cult Hero' XI

MrH

You'd rather have Brian Whittaker at left-back than Takis Fyssas?

The classiest man we've seen at Tynie for many a year, surely he must be included in any 'cult hero' team.

Just noticed, no buzzbomb either!?!

Glad to see you've got Pasquale Bruno in there. Sheer class.

The term cult hero was almost made for him. I looked forward to watchimg him every week at the time the same way you would usually look forward to seeing a pacy, tricky winger or classy, skilful playmaker play. Hearts have had many great defenders before and since but none as cool a customer as Bruno.

Rudolf's Mate

The moment I read 'cult hero' I flew in to have a go that Bruno was not mentioned however I was proved wrong. I agree totally with my other jambo that if you look up cult hero on google it would be a farce not to mention his name!

Never seem the hobos bottle it in derbies the way they did when he was playing.

A few things...

Have all 300 of your posts been links to your vital site?

I notice you pick Willie Jamieson, undoubtedly a better signing than we thought he would be, but using your criteria, surely Andy Thorn would be more deserving?

Dave McReery? WTF?!?!?!

Having said all of that, one of your strikers was a gem. ;)

A few things...

Have all 300 of your posts been links to your vital site?

I notice you pick Willie Jamieson, undoubtedly a better signing than we thought he would be, but using your criteria, surely Andy Thorn would be more deserving?

Dave McReery? WTF?!?!?!

Having said all of that, one of your strikers was a gem. ;)

To answer your first point, the answer is 'no' however your concern is noted!

As for Andy Thorn, I did consider him as he certainly does fit the criteria - just thought that the Jamieson goal against Celtic probably gave him the nod.

And yes, McCreery was controversial.....

You'd rather have Brian Whittaker at left-back than Takis Fyssas?

The classiest man we've seen at Tynie for many a year, surely he must be included in any 'cult hero' team.

Know what you're saying, but I'd say that Whittaker was more of a cult hero-type player than Takis, who was merely an excellent player.

There's no question who the better player was, but being in the category we're talking about here doesn't necessarily mean you were any good!

Being somewhat of a spring chicken, having first went to see the JTs in the early '90s, my cult XI only contains players from then to now:

Gilles Rousset

Ibrahim Tall Pasquale Bruno Willie Jamieson Austin McCann

Juanjo Neil MacFarlane Phil Stamp Jose Quitongo

Wayne Foster Andrius Velicka

Subs:

Craig Nelson

Dennis Wyness

Julien Brellier

Robbie Neilson

Hans Eskilson

Ramon Periera

Dave McPherson

Know what you're saying, but I'd say that Whittaker was more of a cult hero-type player than Takis, who was merely an excellent player.

There's no question who the better player was, but being in the category we're talking about here doesn't necessarily mean you were any good!

I wasn't meaning his inclusion should be because of his ability...

More how he conducted himself, especially his actions at his farewell game!

Henry/Cruikie

Wattie Kidd

Bruno

Elvis

Cowie

Colquhoun

Chopper McLaren

Le Juge

Prentice

Busby

Sandy Clark

Lynn:mj_zivili::ninja::beer:

shaun.lawson

GK Gilles ROUSSET

RB Walter KIDD

CB Pasquale BRUNO

CB Andy THORN

LB Austin McCANN

DM Julien BRELLIER

CM Neil BERRY

RW Jose QUITONGO

LW JUANJO

S Graham WEIR

S Wayne FOSTER

John Findlay

GK Steve Banks.

RB Ernie Winchester?

CB Andy Thorn

CB Pasquale Bruno

LB Peter Oliver

MF Stefano Salvatori

MF Drew Busby

MF Steve Fulton

MF Bobby Prentice. Just in front of Rudi Skacel

Up front Wayne Foster

Up front Willie Gibson.

John

Rousset

Fysass

Locke

Bruno

Elvis

Brellier

Salvatori

Quitongo

Hartley

Robbo

Fuller

roussett

pointon

bruno

thorn

tall

skacel

salvatori

brellier

juanjo

foster

adam

tried to stay away from players who were actually legends, dont think that players who made over 300 appearances etc. can really be counted as cult heroes.

ps I think we can all agree on how much of an impression Bruno left.

Bruno for the Hall of Fame!! or maybe just a half time draw or something

Henry

Shuggie Burns

Bruno

Berry

Pointon

Juanjo

Flogel

Brellier

Magic Johnston

Ian Baird

Fozzy

Not all great or good footballers but still IMO cult figures for one thing or another.

For a player to be a cult hero, I feel they can't have attained legendary status in the conventional sense - so I would rule out cup winners, mainstays of the team, etc.

GK - Steve Banks.

Our current 'keeper is neither brilliant nor gash. Other than being a solid stopper between the sticks, he is also quite the personality, keeping me and my equally drunken mate entertained in Prague and of course swinging on the bar at Tynecastle this season. England's No.1, and I've always liked the fact he genuinely seems to love being at Hearts, even if we're crap just now.

RB - Steve Frail.

Shaggy for me, as I always really liked him as a full-back when I was growing up. If he hadn't got a bad injury I think he could have been a real star for us, but as it is he will always have that degree of 'what could've been'? Was tempted by LeClerq, just for the reasons behind his signing.

LB - Neil 'Dissa' Pointon.

I've put him in because he was in and around the 98 final squad - for his video. He didn't get in the squad in the end, but he goes down as a cult hero for us in my book. One of my favourite memories is him scoring an absolute screamer against Rangers at Tynecastle as well, which perhaps contributed to him edging out the International Man of Mystery.

CB - Andy Thorn.

How can he not be included? A storming performance against Celtic in the LC, a totally unremarkable appearance that weekend, then off he goes again.

CB - Peter Van De Ven.

At a time when we were lucky enough to have outstanding defenders and some with fantastic facial hair, VDV's 'tache stood out from the crowd. I remember him as a

decent enough defender (I'm assured this was not the case) with a great chant. Ooh ah Van De Ven, said Ooh ah Van De Ven!

RW - Jos? Quitongo.

The wig and the last minute goal vs Celtic. 'Nuff said.

CM - Pasquale Bruno.

I remember the sheer excitement when he signed for us. Here was a guy who had captained Torino AND chased a referee off a pitch. The story of Bruno against Red Star, going over to their star winger when he was substituted and patting his back pocket makes me laugh every time it's recounted.

CM - Tommi Gronlund.

I don't think I've ever seen a player spend more time on his crevice than the Tomminator. What a tenacious wee bugger he was though, and scored one of the most outrageous (and undeserved) equalisers I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing at Rugby Park.

LW - Adrian Boothroyd.

Now famous of course as the fairly successful manager of Watford, his playing career was less salubrious. As an impressionable young lad, I thought he was going to be a star, he scored a double in a cup game after all! Hindsight tells me that this was against Huntly and I perhaps shouldn't have got my hopes up.

ST - Wayne Foster.

Hardly scored a goal for us, but that all fades away due to the fact he scored one that reallty mattered. Now a postie in Edinburgh and reguarly on the bevvy with the Jambos in local hostelries, Fozzy I salute you!

ST - Justin Fashanu.

A former ?1m player signed by Brian Clough no less, but well best his best by the time he joined us from Airdrie - the warning signs were there. He makes my team due to having had a fantastically non-PC chant sung in his honour every time he took to the field.

BervieJambo

Gilles Rousset

Walter Kidd

Alan McLaren

Pasquale Bruno

Tosh McKinlay

Thomas Flogel

Neil Berry

John Millar

Eamonn Bannon

Wayne Foster

Jim Hamilton

For a player to be a cult hero, I feel they can't have attained legendary status in the conventional sense - so I would rule out cup winners, mainstays of the team, etc.

GK - Steve Banks.

Our current 'keeper is neither brilliant nor gash. Other than being a solid stopper between the sticks, he is also quite the personality, keeping me and my equally drunken mate entertained in Prague and of course swinging on the bar at Tynecastle this season. England's No.1, and I've always liked the fact he genuinely seems to love being at Hearts, even if we're crap just now.

RB - Steve Frail.

Shaggy for me, as I always really liked him as a full-back when I was growing up. If he hadn't got a bad injury I think he could have been a real star for us, but as it is he will always have that degree of 'what could've been'? Was tempted by LeClerq, just for the reasons behind his signing.

LB - Neil 'Dissa' Pointon.

I've put him in because he was in and around the 98 final squad - for his video. He didn't get in the squad in the end, but he goes down as a cult hero for us in my book. One of my favourite memories is him scoring an absolute screamer against Rangers at Tynecastle as well, which perhaps contributed to him edging out the International Man of Mystery.

CB - Andy Thorn.

How can he not be included? A storming performance against Celtic in the LC, a totally unremarkable appearance that weekend, then off he goes again.

CB - Peter Van De Ven.

At a time when we were lucky enough to have outstanding defenders and some with fantastic facial hair, VDV's 'tache stood out from the crowd. I remember him as a

decent enough defender (I'm assured this was not the case) with a great chant. Ooh ah Van De Ven, said Ooh ah Van De Ven!

RW - Jos? Quitongo.

The wig and the last minute goal vs Celtic. 'Nuff said.

CM - Pasquale Bruno.

I remember the sheer excitement when he signed for us. Here was a guy who had captained Torino AND chased a referee off a pitch. The story of Bruno against Red Star, going over to their star winger when he was substituted and patting his back pocket makes me laugh every time it's recounted.

CM - Tommi Gronlund.

I don't think I've ever seen a player spend more time on his crevice than the Tomminator. What a tenacious wee bugger he was though, and scored one of the most outrageous (and undeserved) equalisers I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing at Rugby Park.

LW - Adrian Boothroyd.

Now famous of course as the fairly successful manager of Watford, his playing career was less salubrious. As an impressionable young lad, I thought he was going to be a star, he scored a double in a cup game after all! Hindsight tells me that this was against Huntly and I perhaps shouldn't have got my hopes up.

ST - Wayne Foster.

Hardly scored a goal for us, but that all fades away due to the fact he scored one that reallty mattered. Now a postie in Edinburgh and reguarly on the bevvy with the Jambos in local hostelries, Fozzy I salute you!

ST - Justin Fashanu.

A former ?1m player signed by Brian Clough no less, but well best his best by the time he joined us from Airdrie - the warning signs were there. He makes my team due to having had a fantastically non-PC chant sung in his honour every time he took to the field.

Excellent stuff, particularly your description of Gronlund!

Whats the story with the Neil Pointon video. I have heard about it before but havent seen it or know what its about.

rudi must stay

Rousset

Tall

Pressley(for a time)

McKenna

McCann

Cesnauskis

Stamp

Fulton

McCann(first time round)

Robertson

Fuller

Henry Smith - What a character, class act to boot but had the odd major hiccup along the way.

Zico - No one got past him, partly due to the widest thighs in Scottish football

Neil Pointon - Best leftback in my time and a character, remember him getting sent off at Ibrox for kicking a goal post

Stewart Chopper McLaren - awful player but great at stopping the opposition play usually by battering them

Sandy Jardine - A class act and a gentleman

Willie Johnston - Rememeber him skinning a full back from QPR in a friendly, then whistling for the boy to catch up, he did and promptly punched Johnston in the face, hilarious even Willie laughed

Bruno - Wow, who would or could face up to this guy

Salvatori - the best holding midfielder I've seen at Hearts in 30 years

Colin Cameron - An icon for me, created so much and ran at 100mph for 90 mins

Sandy Clark - Magic guy, scored without his boot on against the Gers

Robbo - simply the best player in a maroon jersey since I first watched hearts as a boy

Whats the story with the Neil Pointon video. I have heard about it before but havent seen it or know what its about.

He followed the team around on the day of the final and caught some great footage. There's footage from the breakfast table in the hotel all the way to the celebrations in the dressing room after the match.

Someone should copy it and sell it for a small fee.

He followed the team around on the day of the final and caught some great footage. There's footage from the breakfast table in the hotel all the way to the celebrations in the dressing room after the match.

Someone should copy it and sell it for a small fee.

If anyone has a copy (and there are copies out there) I would love one as my lad made a cameo appearance at the training camp down at Stratford.

Cruikie

Zico

Don Murray

Bruno

Peter Oliver

Fulton

Cameron

Jose

Hartley

Eric Carruthers

Harry Kinnear (for a laugh)

Gilles Rousset

Takis

Walter Kidd

Pasquale Bruno

Andy Thorn

Jose Quitongo

Julien Brellier

Colin Cameron

John Colquoun

Robbo

MDV

Sorry, for 'Cult' status Jose Quitongo, Julien Brellier, Walter Kidd, Pasquale Bruno and Wayne Foster are absolute definites.

I think some people are getting mixed up with fan favourites and cult heroes.

I'd also agree Miko is starting to become something of a cult hero. Somehow.

Actually having just said that, Jules is probably more of a fan favourite than cult hero.

Gilles Rousset

Takis

Walter Kidd

Pasquale Bruno

Andy Thorn

Jose Quitongo

Julien Brellier

Colin Cameron

John Colquoun

Robbo

MDV

Does Andy Thorn count as two choices ?:mw_rolleyes:

The People's Chimp

this is more like it (thread wise).

Bruno - what a legend. I have said it a few times, and well, i'm saying it again, but we really should be trying to get him back over to take to the field at half time, maybe alongside phil stamp, for the first tynie derby of the season....

Tall was on his way to cult status....the illusive senegalese that after a year most of us hadn't even set eyes on

Tall was on his way to cult status....the illusive senegalese that after a year most of us hadn't even set eyes on

It was quite strange when he actually started playing. Nobody had a clue why he'd been in the wilderness that long.

Remember the game when he came on as a sub in the 2nd half?

Would have been his debut, can't remember against who but i remember the cheer he got when he warmed up in front of the school end and then a massive cheer when he eventually came on.

Would have been his debut, can't remember against who but i remember the cheer he got when he warmed up in front of the school end and then a massive cheer when he eventually came on.

Don't want to nit pick but...

First Half

Gorgie End

Against Kilmarnock

I always take 'cult' to mean players who were pretty much gash but will be remembered fondly nonetheless. I can't think of any keeper that falls into that category so I'll go with Henry because he had few gash moments.

H. Smith

A. McManus

P. Bruno

A. Thorn

G. Snodin

J. Quitongo

T. Gronlund

N. MacFarlane

J-L. Valois

W. Foster

W. Gibson

MacFarlane is a great shout.

Surprised no mention of Donald Ford, or was he just a hero?? Haven't read all the posts but what about Tommy Murray after he sat on the ball at Ibrox in 1972, Scott Crabbe who should never been allowed to leave, and a man who bled maroon.

Henry

Zico

Bruno

Roy Barry

Dissa Pon tin

JC

Baggio

Rab Prentice

Busby

Fordie

Crabbo

scott herbertson

cruickshank (a one man cult)

Wattie Kidd

Arthur Thomson

Pasquale Bruno

Peter Oliver

Willie Johnstone

Drew Busby

Tommy Murray (for sitting on the ball at Ibrox)

Bobby Prentice.

Pinilla ( a cult in the same way as Lord Lucan)

Bone

A team that would smoke, shag, shoot up, drink and gamble their way to the SPL title!

Steve Banks

Walter Kidd

Neil Pointon

Pasquale Bruno

Andy Thorn

Phil Stamp

Neil MacFarlane

Neil Berry

Jose Quitongo

Mauricio Pinilla

Wayne Foster

Yeh it was bizarre, this long overlooked player finally stepping foot onto the pitch, for a moment I thought it was just a mirage :beer:

this is more like it (thread wise).

Bruno - what a legend. I have said it a few times, and well, i'm saying it again, but we really should be trying to get him back over to take to the field at half time, maybe alongside phil stamp, for the first tynie derby of the season....

Back on the field at half-time? I'd prefer him out there on the park or in the dug-out - about time we had a proper leader in there after all, and he'd put the fear of Ch**st into anyone not giving it everything they have!

this thread is doing my head in. i have about 50 players on my list and i just don't know where to start.from smith to cruickie, jensen/aird/ or colquhoun, robbo/ ford or adam. the only position i have where there's no problem is right back.....there's only one ZICO.

I MEAN BUSBY, BRUNO, POINTON AND THE REST. where do you start.

Archived