Hearts 1956 Scottish Cup Triumph Remembered

Silvery_Moon

scott herbertson

Thanks again

I've seen some of that coverage in lower quality, but great to have the interviews as well. Cumming - what a man! we should have a smiley with a bloodied head band in honour

My old man was at that game (he's 82 now) and he says there was tears running down his face at the final whistle, fast forward 42 years and I was in the same state at parkhead that sunny May day.

:thumbsup:

Walter Bishop

Superb, Bobby Kirk`s son is a friend of my parents and we usually meet up before home games, i`ll have to point him in the direction of this video. :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting this !

I can recall watching it but to be honest at the time I didnt know much about the great teams of the 50s. Really enjoyed watching that now I am a bit older and wiser.

My old man was at that game (he's 82 now) and he says there was tears running down his face at the final whistle, fast forward 42 years and I was in the same state at parkhead that sunny May day.

:thumbsup:

I was at the game I am 76 now was there with my Dad who is long gone now. Something special about being a young supporter with your Old Dad who has been a lifetime supporter and they win the big one. Especially good for me who knew Willie Duff real well and had a good passing acquaintance with Ian Crawford an ultra nice person.

My late Dad was at the game, I've got the Gilzean 1957-58 league winners cartoon, a copy of the signed photo of the team and another 1956-57 team photo - I love all the old history of when we were unbeatable. B)

My old man was at that game (he's 82 now) and he says there was tears running down his face at the final whistle, fast forward 42 years and I was in the same state at parkhead that sunny May day. :thumbsup:

Funny how it turns out on the day.

I thought I would be elated at the final whistle if we won.

I was but I burst out into tears.

Which I never thought would have happened.

Fantastic day that the hobos will probably never experience.

Cheers for that, really enjoyable viewing. Three absolute legends and total gentlemen, think a lot of modern day footballers could learn a lot from them (playing for the colours/badge etc)

I walked past John Cumming outside Parkhead straight after the game had finished and to my eternal regret i didn't have the balls to ask him for his autograph.

Strange and sad in a way , to think a Hearts legend walked down the street surrounded by fans and yet hardly anyone seemed to recognise him.

Sends shivers down the spine watching that footage and listening to those gentlemen. I love them.

One of my customers commented how he chain smoked his way through the entire game. And spoke fondly of the scenes back in Edinburgh.

Hearts is such a special club and these points in our history are the reasons why.

Does it ever strike you as a bit weird how you have such an emotional connection to a football club? I'll never work it out.

My late dad was at that game. Makes you just burst with pride watching that piece. Like Craigieboy, it's hard to put your finger on why we all get so emotional about the Heart Of Midlothian. I watched that wee bit vid and got a huge lump in my throat. I love watching old footage. Hearts are a special club. Nearly every player who's ever played for us 'feels' that 'something'...and no other club has it. There are no words in my vocabulary to describe how much I love The Hearts...

Lynn :ninja:

PS. Anybody got that video narrated by Bob Crampsey? 'Hearts, a Celebration?' or something of a similar name. Would be great if someone could upload it.

I was at the game I am 76 now was there with my Dad who is long gone now. Something special about being a young supporter with your Old Dad who has been a lifetime supporter and they win the big one. Especially good for me who knew Willie Duff real well and had a good passing acquaintance with Ian Crawford an ultra nice person.

.....and still keeping up with the JT's after how many years away from Edinburgh?

I always think yours is a fascinating story Bob.

It just goes to show, it never leaves you this club of ours.

The video itself gives me goosebumps. My own Dad would only have been 1 at that time. My Grandad would have been at the game though. He was a Hearts fanatic who was at Ibrox watching Hearts 5 hours after my Dad was born in Edinburgh. It gets passed down through generations.

My Dad was in Korea doing National Service at the time. He tells me the '56 team bus stopped at Newbridge, where he is from, on the way back and they brought the Cup into the bar. Freddie Glidden stays along the road from me in Broxburn and we talk occasionally. He was invited back to Tynie at the start of the 2005 season as a Corporate meet and greet type but after Phil Anderton left Romanov withdrew the invite and he has very little to do with the club now. Why do we always shun our best people? I organised a Sportsmans dinner last year and invited Freddie along and arranged for my Dad to be sat with him, it made the night for me seeing my Dad meeting one of his heroes, the pair of them had a great time reminiscing as my Dad knew Bobby Parker and Alfie Conn.

The White Cockade

My old man was there as well

Willie Bauld, Freddie Glidden and Big Tam Mackenzie were his favourites

Anyone remember Bobby Parker's wee paper shop at St Andrews Square bus station?

I have my late father's scarf that he wore to that game. A very thin maroon material with a strange Hearts badge almost pianted on that is now sort of flaking off. I suppose it was just a post rationing style. It was a big year for my dad... Hearts winning the cup, marrying my mum and then her getting pregnant with me.

Thanks for the video and the walk down memory lane.

I was at the game in 1956 as well and it was a magic day. The thing is, we all just KNEW that we were going to win. We were flying high, and hadn't conceded a single goal in the cup tournament, which included a 4-0 thrashing of Rangers. The crowd was 130,000+, more than half of whom were Hearts supporters. Although the fans were not segregated then, there was no trouble that I can remember. The Celtic fans around me were subdued ... I think they expected to lose!

I've seen Hearts win the Cup three times. To me, the 1956 win was the best, ending a 50-year drought.

I had the absolute pleasure of arranging the 50th anniversary reunion of not only the surviving players, but the families of those passed away.The camaraderie,the genuine joy at seeing each other and of course the adulation they received meant it was a fantastic night.

The Spirit of '56 was unique.There are so many stories from the night of the reunion,i could fill a page!!

Charlie-Brown

John Cummings advice to the players proves that the principles of being good & winning football matches are timeless. make sure you get to the ball first, win your tackles & your headers, don't be over-awed, believe in yourself and that you're as good or better than your opponent, don't sit back, try to be positive and come onto the game ...... marvellous stuff! :)

I had the absolute pleasure of arranging the 50th anniversary reunion of not only the surviving players, but the families of those passed away.The camaraderie,the genuine joy at seeing each other and of course the adulation they received meant it was a fantastic night.

The Spirit of '56 was unique.There are so many stories from the night of the reunion,i could fill a page!!

Come on then! Fill it up!

I love seeing the old footage. Grew up with my Dad telling me about Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh. About how tough John Cumming was (we were both very proud to be near such a legend when he used to sit in the Main Stand). The passing of Dave Mackay. But most of all about Alex Young, my Dad's favourite player.

I suspect that many of us will talk about Robbo in the same ways when older.

Coco.....i would'nt do the stories justice BUT ...as a taster, The 11 players with family members taking the place of the passed away,stood in numerical order behind a piper in the Executive suite prior to marching to the gorgie suite.Dave MacKay stood,chest expanded,in line as the piper gently played ...tears streaming down his face.

Freddie Glidden raising the scottish cup aloft on the exact date 50 years later in front of 450 roaring fans.

Ian Crawford absolutely gobsmacked at people asking for autographs and photo's.Bobby Kirk and his wicked sense of humour ,reminding all and sundry he was the brains on the pitch.Anne Wardhaugh's surprise when she read that Sir Alex Ferguson modelled himself on Jimmy Wardhaugh when he was playing.

There are many ,many more!!

Coco.....i would'nt do the stories justice BUT ...as a taster, The 11 players with family members taking the place of the passed away,stood in numerical order behind a piper in the Executive suite prior to marching to the gorgie suite.Dave MacKay stood,chest expanded,in line as the piper gently played ...tears streaming down his face.

Freddie Glidden raising the scottish cup aloft on the exact date 50 years later in front of 450 roaring fans.

Ian Crawford absolutely gobsmacked at people asking for autographs and photo's.Bobby Kirk and his wicked sense of humour ,reminding all and sundry he was the brains on the pitch.Anne Wardhaugh's surprise when she read that Sir Alex Ferguson modelled himself on Jimmy Wardhaugh when he was playing.

Keep them coming!

I have my late father's scarf that he wore to that game. A very thin maroon material with a strange Hearts badge almost pianted on that is now sort of flaking off. I suppose it was just a post rationing style. It was a big year for my dad... Hearts winning the cup, marrying my mum and then her getting pregnant with me.

Superb Dave. I'll bet you cherish that.

I remember seeing photos of this occasion I think. Is there a link?

Brilliant tales mate. It was brilliant to have the cup in 2006 for that night. Must have been brilliant to be at.

We need more threads like this on JKB.

Fantastic Meadows.

This is what KB should be about.

My Dad was there (and will be there this afternoon too, as always). He went to Tynie High School who ran a bus to it. He still has the scarf and the rattle he bought for the game!!

The '56 anniversary (dinner) was absolutely amazing, to say the least.

To have the honor of not only standing in my fathers place, but to lead out the rest of that famous side is an honor I'll never forget.

When asked by Scott Wilson in front of everyone, "Who was the best" I answered "John Cumming", with Dave Mackay sitting only a few seats away. Thank god when Mr. Mackay was asked the same question he had the same answer.

Archived