Paul Hartley

Craigieboy

Hartleys best days are behind him. I'm sure if we had really wanted him we would have got him. Last night was a show of frustration at not being the player he was as much as a reaction to the tackle.

Going by his recent reviews I think we should be very glad he didn't come here.

At the same time we should also very very grateful for what he did while he was at Hearts. I'm all for remembering him as one of the most consistently brilliant players I have seen in a Hearts top. No need to slag him off now.

Hartleys best days are behind him. I'm sure if we had really wanted him we would have got him. Last night was a show of frustration at not being the player he was as much as a reaction to the tackle.

Hartley's best days were behind him even before he left us. If he'd gone to (say) Aberdeen then instead of Celtic that would have been more obvious.

I think he would have been good to have around the club even if his best playing days were behind him. He would have been useful for helping to train up the young mid fielders coming through.

I think he would have been good to have around the club even if his best playing days were behind him. He would have been useful for helping to train up the young mid fielders coming through.

I agree with this. Also he is a clinical penalty taker. Mikey Stewart was p!sh at them.

Snake Plissken

I agree with this. Also he is a clinical penalty taker. Mikey Stewart was p!sh at them.

:what:

He scored a fair few of them.

On topic: Hartley is finished as a top class player, has been for some time now.

My favourite player from 05/06, in his prime he was a truly outstanding player for us.

tartofmidlothian

Although all of the above applies to Kevin Kyle too.

I wish nothing but the best for Hartley, although it seems obvious that Aberdeen are just the latest stop in a thoroughly respectable career (aside from the Hobo bit) that's winding down now.

:what:

He scored a fair few of them.

On topic: Hartley is finished as a top class player, has been for some time now.

My favourite player from 05/06, in his prime he was a truly outstanding player for us.

I remember him missing a couple and the ones that did go in were usually scluffed and luckily went under the keeper.

Would have been great at taking corners at the away end in home derbies. He was always good at that.

mahgrassyshoes

I remember him missing a couple and the ones that did go in were usually scluffed and luckily went under the keeper.

I can remember 1 penalty miss against St Mirren in a game we were won 2-1 and one that "luckily went under the keeper" against celtic in the CIS cup QF. Other than that his penalties were generally placed in the bottom corners.

Er, how so? :laugh: Honestly, when it comes to Mikey Stewart, some people just open their mouths and let their belly rumble.

Can't say I find it easy to get all smugface about Hartley, I can't enjoy watching him being miserable like that...especially not when the reason he's at Pittodrie is pretty much Vladimir Romanov and not much else. Things might have been different for him if he'd been with us and I expect he knows that too.

Hartley is finished as a top class player, has been for some time now.

Sums up my feelings for the guy, got great respect for him and will be forever remembered as the man who put 3 past the Hibs in the biggest derby in living memory but he's well past it now.

have to say i wasn`t going to bother opening this as i figured it would be the usual repetitive shit but cragieboy`s overuse of smileys made me grin. good work craig :thumbsup:

Jam Tarts 1874

I don't understand the nature of some of the abuse directed at Hartley. He was a good player for us for a season and we got ?1m for him.

It seems that there are a fair number of people on here with a very poor attitude towards everything and everyone, they must be very unhappy people.

Francis Albert

I am not sure that Robbo's master classes in striking did much for our strikers. Being able to do something doesn't mean you can teach it.

I am not sure that Robbo's master classes in striking did much for our strikers. Being able to do something doesn't mean you can teach it.

Which strikers was he trying to help again?

I completely understand what you are saying. I think the things that come naturally to you are often the hardest things to teach. However, as Hartley was a bit rubbish for a large part of his career and then worked hard to improve his game, I think Paul might make a decent coach if he was to be put through his badges. Irrelevant now as he would not come back whilst Vlad is here. Would have been good to see him and Lockie going mental in the dug out on Derby day.

Sadly, it looks like Paul Hartley is finished.

He was SUPERB in his hey day which, thankfully were the years he spent with us.

I think we dodged a bullet by NOT getting him IMHO!

Wasn't it just the other day that the Fat Ronaldo retired because his body could no longer do what his mind wanted it too? Sad to say but time's up Paul, it's like watching the former world champion but now desperate boxer looking for one last fight!

At the same time we should also very very grateful for what he did while he was at Hearts. I'm all for remembering him as one of the most consistently brilliant players I have seen in a Hearts top. No need to slag him off now.

Spot On

Francis Albert

Which strikers was he trying to help again?

I completely understand what you are saying. I think the things that come naturally to you are often the hardest things to teach. However, as Hartley was a bit rubbish for a large part of his career and then worked hard to improve his game, I think Paul might make a decent coach if he was to be put through his badges. Irrelevant now as he would not come back whilst Vlad is here. Would have been good to see him and Lockie going mental in the dug out on Derby day.

Fair point. Sows ears and silk purses and all that.

I hope if Paul wants a coaching career he makes a success of it. Whether he has the patience required would be my doubt. The sight of him these days pointing instructions to colleagues on where to make a run, while he himself is at the same time easily disposessed, suggests Paul has been receiving tuition from one Michael Stewart. But, unlike Mikey Paul has the excuse of suffering the decline in a great talent, which must be frustrating. Good luck to him anyway, except when he is playing Hearts.

Sums up my feelings for the guy, got great respect for him and will be forever remembered as the man who put 3 past the Hibs in the biggest derby in living memory but he's well past it now.

Spot on

Er, how so? :laugh: Honestly, when it comes to Mikey Stewart, some people just open their mouths and let their belly rumble.

Can't say I find it easy to get all smugface about Hartley, I can't enjoy watching him being miserable like that...especially not when the reason he's at Pittodrie is pretty much Vladimir Romanov and not much else. Things might have been different for him if he'd been with us and I expect he knows that too.

The reason that Paul Hartley is at Aberdeen is primarily Paul Hartley - not Vladimir Romanov. If Romanov could iron out his differences with Skacel and Webster - then there's no reason why things could not have been worked out with Paul.

I do agree with you though that there is no satisfaction to be gained from seeing a player who was magnificent for Hearts and did so much for our club, being humiliated in a woeful Aberdeen side.

Sir Paul will always be a legend in the eyes of most of us Jambos.

The reason that Paul Hartley is at Aberdeen is primarily Paul Hartley - not Vladimir Romanov. If Romanov could iron out his differences with Skacel and Webster - then there's no reason why things could not have been worked out with Paul.

I do agree with you though that there is no satisfaction to be gained from seeing a player who was magnificent for Hearts and did so much for our club, being humiliated in a woeful Aberdeen side.

Lets just say that we dont really know the reason Paul Hartley is not at Tynecastle, because we dont really.It seemed a done deal and was an undone deal at the last minute. Nothing has come out of the club or Paul Hartley himself to say why that happened, so unless anyone knows either Hartley or Romanov personally enough to be in their confidence, we dont know, never will. My guess is that something that Romanov asked Paul Hartley to do caused animosity on both sides, but thats just a guess and its water under the bridge now anyway.

Anyway, Paul Hartley, sadly for anyone who holds him in high esteem as I do. (dont know if he falls into the legend category but its not worth arguing about) is no longer able to perform at his best in the SPL. He should be a standout figure in that Aberdeen team and he isnt. He's fading into the background and is starting to look way past his SBD. Its a shame. I'm not convinced he would have been able to do much better in our team to be honest so we probably missed out on a huge disappointment and the total ruination of the mans status with Hearts fans. It would have been fecking horrible to see him abused, as he undoubtedly would have been, if he hadnt been up to scratch.

I hope he either drops down a level or two next season where he can pass on some experience to kids for a couple of years, or jacks it in at the end of the season.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I loved Paul Hartley during his time at Tynie, I didn't even mind him when he was at the jungle Jims. (I remember when he missed a penalty for them at Tynie and we all sang "Hartley is a Jambo!")

The first time Celtic came in for him, it was at the same time as their OF partners made a move for a certain other of our players IIRC. While the other player chucked his toys from the pram at Vlad's refusal of the offer, PH acted like a man of honour. He showed more class and dignity than this certain other player could ever dream of. For that he deserves credit and respect.

I wish nothing but the best for Hartley, although it seems obvious that Aberdeen are just the latest stop in a thoroughly respectable career (aside from the Hobo bit) that's winding down now.

Agree with this, except the career bit. Except for his "golden" period with us, his career was average at best and often less than average.

Agree with this, except the career bit. Except for his "golden" period with us, his career was average at best and often less than average.

Somebody said about him the other day "He found his feet when he joined Hearts and lost his legs when he left them"

The guy can look back on a decent career.He's still playing at the top level in Scotland.

A great player for Hearts.The abuse(if you can call it that)on here sometimes is puzzling to me.

Paul Hartley will always have a place in my heart, I used to take my boy up to Riccarton to watch the training and he was always the first to come up to us and have a wee chat. The guy gave his all for Hearts. I cannot be arsed with all this pish about him making the wrong choice, personally I don't blame him for not coming back. Vlad is a nob of the highest order. I'd never go back to a job when the owner/boss was a complete dick.

Drylaw Hearts

The first time Celtic came in for him, it was at the same time as their OF partners made a move for a certain other of our players IIRC. While the other player chucked his toys from the pram at Vlad's refusal of the offer, PH acted like a man of honour. He showed more class and dignity than this certain other player could ever dream of. For that he deserves credit and respect.

:lol:

It's the way you tell them.

Oh....hang on......you're being serious.

:huh:

I watched Hearts for over 30 years and Paul Hartley easily makes my top 10 players in a Maroon jersey.

To score a hat-trick in our biggest derby in history and looking like he fn loved it into the bargain will live forever in my heart.

This!

I don't think it was primarily Paul. The story is that he was asked to sign something and didn't. That seems to me to speak of a degree of integrity.

Also, Webster and Rudi were not part of the Riccarton three.

At the start of this season, who would have thought we'd see these two back?

All water under the bridge, but this thread's Hartley-baiting premise is lamentable. Always a Hearts legend for me.

I don't think it was primarily Paul. The story is that he was asked to sign something and didn't. That seems to me to speak of a degree of integrity.

Also, Webster and Rudi were not part of the Riccarton three.

At the start of this season, who would have thought we'd see these two back?

All water under the bridge, but this thread's Hartley-baiting premise is lamentable. Always a Hearts legend for me.

The story is guff, JJ wasn't totally keen on signing Hartley and wanted to see if he could get Bryson first, Hartley was a plan B (or even C, who knows).

Aberdeen offered Hartley a contract and he snapped it up, not wanting to wait and see if we'd make him an actual offer.

Archived