Hearts Quiz Question

Greenbank2

With the re-signing of Andy Webster the other week, along with a few friends, we got talking

in the pub about how many other players have done the same. By that I mean leaving Hearts

and signing for another club and then coming back to re-sign for HMFC. So we're not talking

about a loan period, out of contract, or even leaving to fight for king and country and coming

back. It's bona-fide play for the first team, sign to play elsewhere and re-sign and play in the

first team.

We came up with 12 - including AW - so let's have them and see how many there are (more than 11

I'm sure) Most are surprisingly recent, but a few go back some.....amyway..

1. Andy Webster

All good so far - Bobby Flavel is a new one though......maybe somebody can confirm?

cancel that. wikipedia says differenly. i thought he had come back.

jambos are go!

not sure but think

Roald Jensen went back to Brann Bergan them returned. He may have been retained as as a professional though.

jj bb and gary locke

sorry - no. "It's bona-fide play for the first team, sign to play elsewhere and re-sign and play in the

first team."

Mrowiec

Tenuous - he was actual signed by FC Kanuas and loaned to us first time, but in fairness,

was on my list.

2 to go!

not sure but think

Roald Jensen went back to Brann Bergan them returned. He may have been retained as as a professional though.

'fraid not. According to the records he stayed at Brann for a couple of years then retired.

Tenuous - he was actual signed by FC Kanuas and loaned to us first time, but in fairness,

was on my list.

2 to go!

Kello? was loaned to us, then released by kaunas and signed for hearts. not too sure but worth a shot

Kello? was loaned to us, then released by kaunas and signed for hearts. not too sure but worth a shot

Nope - on loan then signed.

There is a goalie though!!!!!!

did eddie thompson come back after he left aberdeen

apparently went from Aberdeen to San Antonio Thunder - so....no.

Walter Kidd? Did he play once as an emergency after he came back to be first team coach? Or am I making that up?!! :D

CORRECT - played 1 game as first team coach in 1994 after he re-signed as a player.

so, final line up I have is;

Andy Webster

Rudi Skacel

Neil McCann

John Robertson

John Colqhoun

Eamonn Bannon

Donald Park

Murray MacDermott

Dave MacPherson

Tommy Walker

Walter Kidd

Adrian Mrowiec

Michael Stewart

unless, of course someone knows more!

ian black :whistling:

not according to London Hearts!

would ryan stevenson count as he was with us as a youth then left but found his way back

And no, because he didn't play for the first team.

jambos are go!

CORRECT - played 1 game as first team coach in 1994 after he re-signed as a player.

Andy Webster

Rudi Skacel

Neil McCann

John Robertson

John Colqhoun

Eamonn Bannon

Donald Park

Murray MacDermott

Dave MacPherson

Tommy Walker

Walter Kidd

Adrian Mrowiec

Michael Stewart

jambos are go!

if you allow Walter Kidd you have to count John Cumming who came out of retirement as a Trainer to play Sweeper.

Alan Gordon definetly left to play in South Africa and returned. Gary O'connor left for Berwick and returned to pay at least One First team game IIRC.

tartofmidlothian

Pretty tenuous, but was there not a Lithuanian player who went back to Kaunas after their loan spell ended one summer, then came back here when we re-signed then a couple of weeks later? Velicka maybe?

if you allow Walter Kidd you have to count John Cumming who came out of retirement as a Trainer to play Sweeper.

Alan Gordon definetly left to play in South Africa and returned. Gary O'connor left for Berwick and returned to pay at least One First team game IIRC.

Good shouts!

Ally Alexander

Andy Webster

Rudi Skacel

Neil McCann

John Robertson

John Colqhoun

Eamonn Bannon

Donald Park

Murray MacDermott

Dave MacPherson

Tommy Walker

Walter Kidd

Adrian Mrowiec

Michael Stewart

You've left Willie Hamilton of the list!!!

didn't steven snakeley have to play a game or two as an unsigned player while he was sorting out his contract?

typical serpentine behaviour IMO.

jambos are go!

Gary O'Connor played for Berwick twice and Hearts once.

we had an option to bring jim back and did so when it was rumourned that Liverpool IIRC were ready to offer big bucks for him. Sadly he was not the solution to our Keeper problems.

Talking of keepers I seen to recollect we freed then Resigned Dave Anderson almost immediately when we had a keeper crisis in the mid sixties.

didn't steven snakeley have to play a game or two as an unsigned player while he was sorting out his contract?

typical serpentine behaviour IMO.

that was brought up recently in a thread about the boro friendly under burley. Pressley played as a trialist in that game as he was out of contract or something.

Broxburn_Jambo

Davie Russell played for Hearts in the 1891 Scottish cup final, was then sold to Preston but returned to Hearts and played in the 1896 Scottish Cup final when we beat Hibs 1-0.

Also Jock White signed for Hearts from Albion Rovers in 1922, was sold to Leeds in 1927 and returned to Hearts in 1930. At the time he signed the first time he was our record signing at ?2,700.

Roddy McKenzie left us to go to Stenhousemiur and became a bit of a hero there for saving a penalty in a shoot out to win the Challenge Cup. Then he came back. I know for a fact he wasnt on loan there but not sure if it counts because I dont think he played a first team game during his first spell.

There is definatly at least one Lithuanian who played for us, then left for Kaunus, then came back. Im sure of it.

I want to say Kanchelskis.

Hearts Heritage

I'm not sure if players that were loaned from Kaunas then sent back then brought back should count. It is a bit like us loaning players out to clubs more than once.

Anyhow players that I don't immediately see on this list. I'm on my phone so apologies if I post any duplicates

Bobby Baxter

Isaac Begbie

Mark Bell

Thomas Chambers

Tom Collins

John macpherson

Archie Miller

There are 4 people I have down as having 3 spells at the club including manager coach or director etc

Bannon

Jefferies

Park

Tommy Walker

Should Skacel count?

He played for us on loan from marseille, then at the end of the season we signed him for circa ?1m. Then i beleive we sold him the same week to Southampton.

Gordon did leave to play for Durban in a non-FIFA country but he remained a registered Hearts player before returning to Hearts and then shortly after being sold to DU.

Archived