Best Player of the Modern Era

Obua Must Go

Hearing today that Ronaldo is retiring begs the question of who is the best of the modern times. For me it has to be Messi (even though it is rather early in his career) he is soon going to break record on his own and with Barcelona. Best player in the Best team in my opinion. His recent record speaks for itself. 87 Goals in 87 games is frightning.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a few players i always loved watching, who would never win the " best ever award "

Bergkamp

stoichkov

van basten

but my all time favorite is zidane.. the guy was on a different planet to almost every player around.

*Insert 'hilarious' answer that couldn't possibly be true as the player was rubbish here*

:keys:

Thinly veiled 'I couldn't think of anyone worse than Leigh Jenkinson' type post in my opinion.

:keys:

Thinly veiled 'I couldn't think of anyone worse than Leigh Jenkinson' type post in my opinion.

Jimmy Boco.

:verysmug:

The correct answer to the question is Zidane.

Jimmy Boco.

:verysmug:

The correct answer to the question is Zidane.

Jimmy Boco was a legend.

Eduardo 'The Tank' Hutardo

Im going to discard anyone who didn't play in defence on principle. Defenders dont get enough of the glory.

Maldini - fecking awesome.

Im going to discard anyone who didn't play I n defence on principle. Defenders dont get enough of the glory.

Maldini - fecking awesome.

BARASI

BLIND

PUYOL

MALDINI

there is another 3 in no order

The best players since Maradona

1. Zinedine ZIDANE (France)

2. Lionel MESSI (Argentina)

3. RONALDO (Brazil)

4. Roberto BAGGIO (Italy)

5. XAVI (Spain)

6. Andres INIESTA (Spain)

7. RONALDINHO (Brazil)

8. RIVALDO (Brazil)

9. Cristiano RONALDO (Portugal)

10. Luis FIGO (Portugal)

3. RONALDO (Brazil)

5. XAVI (Spain)

7. RONALDINHO (Brazil)

8. RIVALDO (Brazil)

10. Luis FIGO (Portugal)

There are 3 players in your list I don't agree with. Figo, Rivaldo and Baggio.

Don't have any replacements bar Romario for any.

3. RONALDO (Brazil)

5. XAVI (Spain)

7. RONALDINHO (Brazil)

8. RIVALDO (Brazil)

10. Luis FIGO (Portugal)

Each to thier own, but the above is nonsense, No Bergkamp or Henry ? much better players than baggio and figo for a start. Also i will not question ronaldo ability, but how often did he use it ? 5 out of 13 seasons does not class you as being the 3rd best player in the world IMO !

Messi is not only the best player of his era, he will rightly go down in history as the best ever ! I love Zindane, and his vision was awesome, but overall individually messi is unstopable, plus has a better assit record then Zindane in Spain.

Each to thier own, but the above is nonsense, No Bergkamp or Henry ? much better players than baggio and figo for a start. Also i will not question ronaldo ability, but how often did he use it ? 5 out of 13 seasons does not class you as being the 3rd best player in the world IMO !

Messi is not only the best player of his era, he will rightly go down in history as the best ever ! I love Zindane, and his vision was awesome, but overall individually messi is unstopable, plus has a better assit record then Zindane in Spain.

No, no Bergkamp or Henry. Like Romario, Bergkamp was at least close - but when did he win the Champions League, or even a major tournament with Holland? Figo starred for the two biggest clubs on the planet. Henry frequently flattered to deceive when the chips were really down: in this exalted company, I think he was akin to a flat track bully, who'd vanish when the going got tough.

Ronaldo was an absolute monster - that he didn't do it more often was because he was injured! Baggio remains ludicrously underrated: he singlehandedly dragged an awful Italy side to within a couple of penalties of winning the 1994 World Cup, and was a ******* unbelievable player. Meanwhile, you honestly think Messi will end up better than either Pele or Maradona? Based on what?

No Romario?

On my list, 11th - but I can well understand why he'd be in many people's top ten.

No, no Bergkamp or Henry. Like Romario, Bergkamp was at least close - but when did he win the Champions League, or even a major tournament with Holland? Figo starred for the two biggest clubs on the planet. Henry frequently flattered to deceive when the chips were really down: in this exalted company, I think he was akin to a flat track bully, who'd vanish when the going got tough.

You mean the World Cup Winner, European Championships winner, EPL winner, FA Cup winner, La Liga winner and more, Thierry Henry?

Aye. A bottle merchant.

You mean the World Cup Winner, European Championsips winner, EPL winner, FA Cup winner, La Liga winner and more, Thierry Henry?

Aye. A bottle merchant.

Bottle merchant, no. But as likely to play his best as many of the players I've mentioned when it most mattered? I'm afraid not.

Charlie-Brown

It's easy to pick players from the biggest & most successful countries however 2 players Hagi & Stoichkov dragged unfashionable Romania & Bulgaria to remarkably high levels that they haven't matched before or since - surely that must count for something?

It's easy to pick players from the biggest & most successful countries however 2 players Hagi & Stoichkov dragged unfashionable Romania & Bulgaria to remarkably high levels that they haven't matched before or since - surely that must count for something?

It does - but neither were consistent enough to merit inclusion. Stoichkov especially was so moody it was unbelievable - and spent the duration of the 1994 third place play-off desperately hogging the ball, so he could get the goal he needed to win the Golden Boot. It was a disaster - and Sweden won 4-0.

Charlie-Brown

It does - but neither were consistent enough to merit inclusion. Stoichkov especially was so moody it was unbelievable - and spent the duration of the 1994 third place play-off desperately hogging the ball, so he could get the goal he needed to win the Golden Boot. It was a disaster - and Sweden won 4-0.

Sweden 1992 & 1994 made the semi-finals of both the European Championships & World Cup - a remarkable achievement for such a small country!

Sweden 1992 & 1994 made the semi-finals of both the European Championships & World Cup - a remarkable achievement for such a small country!

They've finished in the top four in the world on no fewer than four occasions. England have only done so twice. :vrface:

Charlie-Brown

Lothar Mathaus must be right up there in contention for the top ten surely? he had a tremendous international record.

Archived