Commentators love of the Old Firm

The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

Yesterday I was driving down to Gala to pick the wee yin up from her mothers and I was listening to open all mics on Radio Scotland Sportsound, I normally like open all mics, however yesterday it turned into the Billy Dodds Rangers love in show. 3 times when they crossed to New Douglas Park for an update on how the Hearts game was going, that little luggy runt butted in and completely stole the show with his gushiness for der hun for everything they done.

Today when driving back down the road to drop the wee yin back off I was listening to the Celtic game on Radio Scotland, and it struck me that the love affair that these so called broadcasters have for the Old Firm is quite sickening with the words they use to describe them.

Everything that Rangers done yesterday, and Celtic done today, was either "wonderful", "magnificent", "sublime", "outstanding", or my own personal favourite which almost had me boaking oot the windae, was when the commentator described the play between Hooper and Stokes as "a joy to behold" :boak:

Do these ramjets really think that the Old Firms standard of football is good enough to be described by using the above words? :blink:

Surely if they were that good then they would be taking on the Barcelona's and Real Madrid's of this world and giving them a game, because those are the teams I would use the above words to describe.

Maybe I'm being too picky, but these people really irritate me, and even the once decent Richard Gordon is now crawling so far up their backsides that you can't see their arseholes for his legs. :yucky:

On the blob type post!

although I agree with the sentiment :ninja:

Anti "Painters in" post IMO

:P

Yesterday I was driving down to Gala to pick the wee yin up from her mothers and I was listening to open all mics on Radio Scotland Sportsound, I normally like open all mics, however yesterday it turned into the Billy Dodds Rangers love in show. 3 times when they crossed to New Douglas Park for an update on how the Hearts game was going, that little luggy runt butted in and completely stole the show with his gushiness for der hun for everything they done.

Today when driving back down the road to drop the wee yin back off I was listening to the Celtic game on Radio Scotland, and it struck me that the love affair that these so called broadcasters have for the Old Firm is quite sickening with the words they use to describe them.

Everything that Rangers done yesterday, and Celtic done today, was either "wonderful", "magnificent", "sublime", "outstanding", or my own personal favourite which almost had me boaking oot the windae, was when the commentator described the play between Hooper and Stokes as "a joy to behold" :boak:

Do these ramjets really think that the Old Firms standard of football is good enough to be described by using the above words? :blink:

Surely if they were that good then they would be taking on the Barcelona's and Real Madrid's of this world and giving them a game, because those are the teams I would use the above words to describe.

Maybe I'm being too picky, but these people really irritate me, and even the once decent Richard Gordon is now crawling so far up their backsides that you can't see their arseholes for his legs. :yucky:

Letting the vast majority of their "customer" base hear what they want to hear.

Not exactly an unheard of marketing ploy.

They retain listeners and as a result, the countless nobodies that work for Radio Scotland Sport (how many pundits do they actually need to cover 6 SPL games FFS) get to keep their jobs.

Commentators will always talk up goals scored.

They score more goals than any other side.

If other teams were winning like they do they would talk them up as well.

Francis Albert

Commentators will always talk up goals scored.

They score more goals than any other side.

If other teams were winning like they do they would talk them up as well.

Rubbish. Often when listening to radio commentary I have not been immediately sure Hearts have scored, so subdued has been the commentator's reaction. Whereas even the OF's 4th or 5th goals in a one-sided romp are always greeted as if they were the winners in a CL final.

Rubbish. Often when listening to radio commentary I have not been immediately sure Hearts have scored, so subdued has been the commentator's reaction. Whereas even the OF's 4th or 5th goals in a one-sided romp are always greeted as if they were the winners in a CL final.

Indeed.

I remember listening to Hearts away at Celtic a few years ago, Hearts took the lead through McKenna. It took about a minute to register the goal such was the lack of enthusiasm to us scoring.

I think some people like toover-analyze every little detail. I listened to the game yesterday and I knew when we scored.

There will be folk on hear tomorrow moaning about the match reports saying similar stuff.

Francis Albert

I think some people like toover-analyze every little detail. I listened to the game yesterday and I knew when we scored.

There will be folk on hear tomorrow moaning about the match reports saying similar stuff.

I didn't say it was true of every goal we scored, did I?

I didn't say it was true of every goal we scored, did I?

Nope. There is no point arguing about it anyway. Folks have their minds made up.

The media want the Old Firm to win so go about telling everyone that the Old Firm are the best.

The Old Tolbooth

On the blob type post!

although I agree with the sentiment :ninja:

I better not be, I'm just about to drive to Edinburgh :blink:

:D

The bias towards the OF on supposedly our national radio station is sickening.

At times they almost run out of adjectives to describe the ownder of the sights that they are seeing in green and white hoops or royal blue.

The true reflection of both of these in breds is when they play in Europe and then we get to see them for what they are.

I despise Radio Scotlands football coverage, not because I'm a Jambo, although tht is enought, but because when any "provincial" team is playing the OF, the bias is staggering.

alwaysthereinspirit

No one said it would be easy being a non OF fan in a country with a population of only 5 million.

Radio Scotland football shows have just about become unlistenable.

Is there anywhere that anyone can find that says that their commentary is meant to be unbiased? If there is, we have a situation where it is false advertising.

Agree with the OP 100%.

On a slight tangent, watching a rerun of our recent win over Rangers at Tynie, I was shocked to hear the commentator say "Hearts now only have to hold on for a few minutes for a famous win over Rangers".

Eh? A famous win? Who the **** did this guy think we were? Some 3rd division outfit clinging on to a Cup upset or something?

**** the media!!!

J Cheever Loophole

Letting the vast majority of their "customer" base hear what they want to hear.

Not exactly an unheard of marketing ploy.

They retain listeners and as a result, the countless nobodies that work for Radio Scotland Sport (how many pundits do they actually need to cover 6 SPL games FFS) get to keep their jobs.

Totally agree,OaG and its not just radio but the media in general.If they don't want to "pander" to out with the O.F maybe we should get our reports and info from elsewhere if we can.I don't go out my way to buy a paper any more because of the constant erse licking that goes on towards the O.F.Even when on occasion they give other teams (not just Hearts)due plaudits,they cant wait to shoot them down again.As for the media WANTING a challenge to rancic,that is to quote, the late and great, although once part of the circus known as the media JIMMY SANDERSON.Sheer bunkum and poppycock!!!!!

I heard a classic on BBC Scotland the morning after the Scotland game. Accoring to the reporter Chris Commons has "come on leaps and bounds since signing for Celtic".

The boys been there about a week FFS !

Happens in all countries unfortunately, in Scotland it is for the Old Firm, England a love for Arsenal (best footballing side in the world), MU (especially Sky Sports) and when European football comes along, specific teams seem to get much more praise than others. That is why I love seeing the OF loose and get humped in Europe, as the commentators then get all huffy too. Seeing Kaunus beat the orcs was especially amusing.

Happens in all countries unfortunately, in Scotland it is for the Old Firm, England a love for Arsenal (best footballing side in the world), MU (especially Sky Sports) and when European football comes along, specific teams seem to get much more praise than others. That is why I love seeing the OF loose and get humped in Europe, as the commentators then get all huffy too. Seeing Kaunus beat the orcs was especially amusing.

They obviously have not seen Hibs.

portobellojambo1

I just ignore them John.

Knobs are knobs, with or without the foreskin (please don't ask to explain the use of this statement in relation to football, even I don't understand why I'm using it in this context, but it just sounded like something I fancied saying on a cold Sunday evening in February, and in response to a thread about knobs)

Francis Albert

Just watched the highlights on BBC of the Hearts and Rangers games yesterday. For both of Hearts goals the commentator pointed out at length the defensive failings that in his opinion led to the goals (although the first at least had far more to do with attacking skill). For only one of the 6 Rangers goals did the defence appear to play any part in the commentator's eyes, although even then you'd easily have missed the comment.

Well said !

Wholeheartedly agree with the op, and would like to add that the bbc radio glesga pundits love to have a pop at Hearts, the club, the players, and the fans every chance they can get this is because A:They dont want to upset thier biggest audience, B: They want to avoid talking about the true cancer eating Scottish football: aka the OF, Instead they would rather gang up like a bunch of schoolyard bullies on the poor kid in the corner ( us ) but they dont realise this little kid can fight like feck! :angry:

No one said it would be easy being a non OF fan in a country with a population of only 5 million.

Radio Scotland football shows have just about become unlistenable.

I never listen to that bunch of haddies ever!!!

It takes me all my time to watch parts of Final Score on a Saturday!

The Glasgow Broadcasting Corporation is sodden with sickening sycophants!!!

Spot on.

Its for this reason that I no longer listen to Hearts away matches on the radio. I just follow it via in-play betting with Bet 365 and Flashscores.

Much more enjoyable way to follow the Hearts when not at some away games.

OnlyOnePaulHartley

There was a cracker the other week on Sportscene when Bougherra went to take a corner for the Huns, I can't remember the exact words but it was along the lines of "Bougherra steps up for the corner kick, is there no ends to this guys talent?".

Would this be said of any other defender in Scotland taking a corner? Doubt it! I just find it quite funny now.

The Old Tolbooth

I heard a classic on BBC Scotland the morning after the Scotland game. Accoring to the reporter Chris Commons has "come on leaps and bounds since signing for Celtic".

The boys been there about a week FFS !

You really couldn't make that up :lol:

Deluded erseholes the lot of them!

Something else that I remember from yesterday too was when Derek Ferguson (who was giving updates on the Hearts match in between luggsy tugging himself off to Rangers when he could get a word in), was that Billy Reid was apparently very annoyed at the Sportsound team for saying that his team were negative and didn't attack enough, Richard Gordon actually had the cheek to say (and get this) "I can't believe Billy would come out and have such a go at us, especially after we've been so nice about Hamilton in the last 2 years" :huh::o:lol: (what a condescending prick!)

Someone mentioned earlier that they knew when Hearts had scored etc, I have to disagree with that because when Hearts did score, it wasn't very clear at all and I wasn't actually sure we had scored because luggsy kept butting in with der hun commentary!

Also, Hawick Jambo mentioned about the "provincial teams", they used to use this word quite a lot until Hearts and Hibs fans actually reminded them of what the word really meant, and quite rightly pointed out that a "provincial team" is one who comes from outside of the capital, and that in fact it was Rangers and Celtic that were the "provincial" teams.

Open all Mics was particularly bad this week. Any cut to our game was almost always interrupted by something trivial happening at the Rangers game. Even our 2nd goal was interrupted for a chance. Shockingly poor, however not unexpected.

I'm glad I no longer pay a UK TV/Radio license for that crap.

I can understand media like the record or sun being biased towards the old firm as they are their biggest readership and are there to make money. BBC is paid by the tax payer and in terms of listnership and ratings it is not as important. I've watched reporting Scotland a number of times where they have never mentioned hearts in their sports round up. When we played the Huns at tynecastle they managed to have a 2 minute segment on the game without actually mentioning hearts. Credit to stv as atleast they mention every team.

Indeed.

I remember listening to Hearts away at Celtic a few years ago, Hearts took the lead through McKenna. It took about a minute to register the goal such was the lack of enthusiasm to us scoring.

I remember that. It's happened on other numerous occassions aswell, Velicka in 2007 was another that was ignored by the commentators.

Archived