Why do Celtic copy everyones songs?

maroonplatoon87

tommythejambo

Fairly sure it's Birmingham that have half-inched it from Celtic, sadly.

Who in turn stole it from Depeche Mode, without changing it or adapting it in any way.

Maybe wrong, but for years we`ve sung the old "na, na, na, na, Jam Tarts" to the tune of Hey Jude but the Tims sing it too...who was first?

When i started going to games regularly in the early to mid 80`s i only ever heard us use it. The there was one game where we were actually playing Celtique(in the 90`s) and they suddenly piped up with their version.

When Hey Jude first came out I reckon most teams' fans sang it.

I certainly remember a Hearts v Celtic game in autumn 1968 (without looking it up), which Celtic won 1-0 (Macari? a header from a ball crossed from the left wing), and the Celtic fans were singing Hey Jude. Given that (I did look this bit up) Hey Jude was released in August 1968, it hadn't taken long for it to catch on.

I seem to remember the Dunfermline fans singing it the same season at East End Park on the 2nd Jan 1969 when they beat us 4-2 (again, from memory, but London Hearts will put us right), a game in which they were 2-0 up early on.

By the way, both of the above games were played in bright sunshine (true).

It was not uncommon for pop songs to find their way onto the terraces in those days.

Archived