Two horses electrocuted at Newbury

jambos are go!

jambos are go!

Amazing scenes as it apprears that two horses killed reportedly from electocution in the parade ring before the first Race at Newbury. Another two also affected. Recent drainage work suspected. Horses apparently are six times more at risk than humans.

Terrible!!!!

I ate horse in a restaurant in France once, it tasted lovely. Would imagine they'd be pretty good fried.

J Doyle the trainer who's Horse was electrocuted is distraught :rolleyes:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

J Doyle the trainer who's Horse was electrocuted is distraught :rolleyes:

I know... he was told by the doctor not to avoid fried foods. :(

Good god...that's absolutely horrible... :oldsad:

Says there they're more sensitive to electricity but it must be by some considerable degree if they get shocks through grass which are bad enough to kill them and humans felt nothing more than a tingle.

Says there they're more sensitive to electricity but it must be by some considerable degree if they get shocks through grass which are bad enough to kill them and humans felt nothing more than a tingle.

Horse shoes perchance

Do they wear them on grass though or whilst racing?

Don't know to be honest I just eat them when abroad.

And I missed out the question mark too. I really know nothing about horses a part from they are a low fat meat.

blondejamtart

Poor horses - racing can be a very cruel industry (and frankly, I'd rather eat some of you lot than ever contemplate eating horse!!!!!!!)

This may sound ridiculous but I think it's to do with the distance between their legs (or their points of contact with the surface) ... this is why birds can happily sit on electric overhead cables but e.g. we fry ...

So in this case, we'd be OK, but horses would be electrocuted.

This may sound ridiculous but I think it's to do with the distance between their legs (or their points of contact with the surface) ... this is why birds can happily sit on electric overhead cables but e.g. we fry ...

So in this case, we'd be OK, but horses would be electrocuted.

Birds can sit on overhead cables as they're not earthed. I think.

JamboInSouthsea

Don't know to be honest I just eat them when abroad.

Have heard it's nice though never tried it myself.

Can you get any I wonder over here?

Poor horses - racing can be a very cruel industry (and frankly, I'd rather eat some of you lot than ever contemplate eating horse!!!!!!!)

Ooo err missus! :blink:

If their females, can I watch? :woot:

If they touch 2 wires they make a circuit and fry, I think.

Well they'd look pretty bloody silly in kitten heels.

I think their the ones my mate backs, well he says backs I say handing money to a stranger

You'd rather be Hannibal Lecter than French? Completely understand.

Correct and earth is the important word here.Aluminium is a good conductor and something's happened under the deck to cause thisThe drainage work and a possible damaged cable is a good shout at the minute.

And where do you think race horses go when they are too old to race?

Very popular in Netherlands just type 'Paardenvlees' into Google.

The drainage work and a possible damaged cable is a good shout at the minute.

I'd imagine there will be some very nervous workman franticly checking their public liability insurance right now. Race horses tend not to be cheap, and that's before any claims for "emotional distress" by the folk who witnessed it all. :blink:

JamboInSouthsea

This horse seemed to thrive on the electricity

42-22737492.jpg

Yeah but I wouldn't bet on it!!!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

According to five live last night, the meet was cancelled.

No need to pay a butcher when you've got two horses to eat

Admittedly my knowledge of physics has waned a bit recently, but surely they can't have been electrocuted by an underground cable owing to the fact that by definition of being in the ground it is effectively earthed. The current shouldn't preferentially travel towards the surface and out of the ground should it?

Or am I missing something simple here?

The Treasurer

Yes they wear horse shoes all the time btw.

Surely they prefer to pop on a pair of comfy slippers when back at the stable teehee.gif

jambos are go!

Admittedly my knowledge of physics has waned a bit recently, but surely they can't have been electrocuted by an underground cable owing to the fact that by definition of being in the ground it is effectively earthed. The current shouldn't preferentially travel towards the surface and out of the ground should it?

Or am I missing something simple here?

Don't fully understand it but it was explained as being to do with them having 4 legs and the current being able to travel from one set to another. A bit like birds on a single wire explained earlier.

Don't fully understand it but it was explained as being to do with them having 4 legs and the current being able to travel from one set to another. A bit like birds on a single wire explained earlier.

Doesn't explain it either mate i'm afraid. Current will always take the path of least resistance to earth. So if it goes up one leg it will go right back down the adjacent one rather than trave the length of the horse??

jambos are go!

Doesn't explain it either mate i'm afraid. Current will always take the path of least resistance to earth. So if it goes up one leg it will go right back down the adjacent one rather than trave the length of the horse??

whats the difference ??? They were stepping of rubber matting onto the grass if that helps.

Remember that when horses walk, one, or more legs are off the ground at any one time

Archived