Kenny Dalglish

Carl Fredrickson

In 1982 I was a 7 year old laddie getting dragged around Asda by my mum... At the tills there was always a wee stand with Ladybird kids books on it, nursery rhymes etc... One of them was the Ladybird book for the Spain '82 World Cup. Mum relented and purchased said book to keep child from gurnin'

Inside were some introductory pages on all the teams, with a photo of their star player in action... A photo of Kenny Dalglish in classic 'about to pull the trigger' pose.

All the matches were watched and all the scores filled in on the wee Ladybird hard-back with a brown felt-tip pen.

In 2011 the wee Spain '82 book is still on the bookshelf and King Kenny is still the King. :D

I had that very same book - it has a picture of the Santiago Bernabeu on the inside cover. That's when my fascination with Real Madrid started..........

The Old Tolbooth

In terms of overall skill Kenny Dalglish is without doubt the most talented Scotsman I have ever seen play the game of football. Playing for Celtic most definitely helped in the Scottish set-up. Despite me being a Hearts fanatic there was a player at Hibs (who in my honest opinion) was also very skilful and that was Alex Cropley. Who if he had played for either of the OF would have got a barrowload of Scotland caps too.

Dalglish was on ocassion(as Craig Herbertson said) two moves ahead of his team-mates. His vision was second to none. He was two- footed, Could header the ball and could turn on a sixpence. The goals he set up for Ian Rush in their prime at Liverpool were by the barrowload.

Penalty box poacher- Denis Law. If there was anyone who could move quicker or more agile than Law in the box then I have never seen them play.

Jimmy Johnstone- Best Scotsman I have seen dribbling with a football. Probably the most kicked player on any part of his body too. Atletico Madrid 1974 immediately springs to mind.

Overall- Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish. Had it all.

John

Fantastic post mate! :thumbsup:

Chad Sexington

Always think about two goals when I think about Dalgleish

The header against Wales at Anfield in the 1978 World Cup qualifier (which I couldn't find on youtube????)

Thanks to Shaun Lawson for digging this one up. :thumbsup:

What a night. And typical of King Kenny to round it off with a touch of magic.

Check out the Welsh commentator by the way. :seething:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_of_wales/8957298.stm

jack D and coke

Had Liverpool shirts before i had any Hearts ones purely because of Dalglish. Had number 7 on the back of them and i remember how much i badgered my mum to get me Puma Dalglish boots. I think i was too young to really appreciate how good he actually was but he was a hero of mine without question.

The most amazing thing about him is i haven't gave a monkeys who wins anything in England for years and years but he's made a Liverpool fan again. Was punching the air when they scored and beat Chelsea last week. I would love him to take them back to the top, prove all the know it alls wrong who say he's been out of the game too long and wont have it tactically anymore. What a lot pish, he out thought Ancelotti anyway.

A proper living legend.

jack D and coke

Thanks to Shaun Lawson for digging this one up. :thumbsup:

What a night. And typical of King Kenny to round it off with a touch of magic.

Check out the Welsh commentator by the way. :seething:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_of_wales/8957298.stm

Unbelievable how many jocks are packed into Anfield. Even now you can feel the atmosphere and how amazing it would've been to be there that night. Brilliant goal from Dalglish at the end.

Chad Sexington

Unbelievable how many jocks are packed into Anfield. Even now you can feel the atmosphere and how amazing it would've been to be there that night. Brilliant goal from Dalglish at the end.

Probably the dumbest thing the Welsh FA ever did in their history was moving that game to Anfield so they could make a few extra quid.

You're lucky if there was 2000 Welshmen in the stadium.

The best British club player in my time.Sadly never produced the same for his country at the World Cup finals in Germany,Argentina and Spain.

Being Scottish it is just crazy to think how amazing we had it back in the 'day'

I mean FFS look what we have had to play with since!

After King kenny

John Robertson(the fat one) - amazing

Robbo was amazing

McCoist was amazing

Mo Johnstone - class

Archibald - amazing

Then

shit

shit

double shit

more shit

How can a country that pioneered the game. Developed the game. Enlightened the world (we gave Brazil football) with the game now be so utter average.

I know we have signs of a renaissance now but let's be honest we will struggle still to qualify for major tournys.

I actually want to cry.

I used to be such a huge scotland fan and I mean Scotland first then Hearts second, now it's Hearts Hearts a documentary on TV, a book, a ham shank then Scotland.

It is just shit. The Old Firm dominance, sky tv, all seater stadiums, political correctness at games, **** stain footballers earning more than the GDP of small countires, counts like Andy Carroll being sold for 35 million, Wayne Rooney tosspot, Champions league, Arab billionaires, Rio Ferdinand and his twittering tosspot ways, football agents, managers being sacked after 3 seconds in a job - it's all shite.

Football is shite!

I actually want to jump off a bridge.

I want our game back.

jack D and coke

Being Scottish it is just crazy to think how amazing we had it back in the 'day'

I mean FFS look what we have had to play with since!

After King kenny

John Robertson(the fat one) - amazing

Robbo was amazing

McCoist was amazing

Mo Johnstone - class

Archibald - amazing

Then

shit

shit

double shit

more shit

How can a country that pioneered the game. Developed the game. Enlightened the world (we gave Brazil football) with the game now be so utter average.

I know we have signs of a renaissance now but let's be honest we will struggle still to qualify for major tournys.

I actually want to cry.

I used to be such a huge scotland fan and I mean Scotland first then Hearts second, now it's Hearts Hearts a documentary on TV, a book, a ham shank then Scotland.

It is just shit. The Old Firm dominance, sky tv, all seater stadiums, political correctness at games, **** stain footballers earning more than the GDP of small countires, counts like Andy Carroll being sold for 35 million, Wayne Rooney tosspot, Champions league, Arab billionaires, Rio Ferdinand and his twittering tosspot ways, football agents, managers being sacked after 3 seconds in a job - it's all shite.

Football is shite!

I actually want to jump off a bridge.

I want our game back.

Amen man.

I was fortunate enough to be at Hampden to see him score his record equalling goal for Scotland against Spain.

He was still a great player then but a bit past his peak.

In his pomp he was easily one of the best players in the world.

If he was around today he would be worth a ludicrous amount of money.

I recall my grandfather describing that goal against Spain.

I think it was the first time I ever heard the "f" word - he used it to stress how hard Kenny hit that shot. My memores, as a wee boy, were of how he had his back to defenders and seemed to turn so quickly - blink and the ball was net bound.

Easily my favourite player of all time. My dad took me to see him play against Spurs, who had Glenn Hoddle. Those two were what my heros. Kennys shooting, and Glenn's passing.

Liverpool lost that game 0-1 (Crookes) and I spent most of the 90 minutes staring at the Kop - 28,0000 fans behind a set of goals, all moving and swaying. Liverpool was my dream. Three weeks later, they played Juventus and it all went horribly wrong. As a kid, I couldn't understand it, and kind of lost interest in the club.

Deodato

For me:

1. Denis Law

2. Jimmy Johnstone

3. Kenny Dalglish

4. Jim Baxter

All great and not a lot between them.

My dad always said John White, Alan Gilzean and Dave Mackay. Never had him down as a Spurs fan. However he also said Bobby Collins, Jimmy Wardhaugh and Gordon Smith were extraordinary. Dalglish? Very good. But he doesn't improve a team that isn't built around his talents. Perhaps why Scotland were less than the sum of their parts in the 70s and 80s, although there were many more culprits like Bremner, Gray and Jordan in those days. Not slagging Kenny, more the managers who insisted on playing him when the formation to win the game didn't suit him.

Archived