Silvery_Moon

scots civil war

absolutely top class

thanks man....

15,000 on the terraces,sunny day

top of the league

remember it well

Johanes de Silentio

I can't watch it - I get a message saying it's a private video.

:(

Me too - do we have to be p0ab2's Youtube friend to view it?

scots civil war

it must be said,

archie brillo pad noggin doin a sterling job of the anchor man,interviewer,commentator one man band role there

compared to the cretins that now abound,he was ******* outstanding back then

I've had a few requests for this particular match here and on Youtube so here it is. Full highlights included as well as interviews at the end With Alex Macdonald and Sandy Jardine.

Poor Robbo misses a penalty which denies him his hat trick.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qQRjvtosXw

Thanks for this.

Those were the days indeed. We stood behind the School End goals that day instead of the Shed for some reason. Good times.

Was that game the first ever televised and it was on a sunday?

No, you're thinking of Hearts v Aberdeen which was played on Sunday 20th April 1986, a 1-1 draw and the 30th and penultimate game of our 31 game unbeaten run.

Great stuff and thanks again to p0ab2, this was one of my requests satisfied.

A couple of observations:

The same ref, one Gerry Evans sent four Hearts players off at Ibrox nine years later.

Hugh Burns, for me, had an excellent game and looked a better footballer than Walter Kidd.

Archie McPherson, old Wheatabix Heid is just great. Corny, yes. Old Fashioned, yes, but someone I always felt had a soft spot for Hearts.

Dundee are a team that always seem to get good players from somewhere.

Hearts, 1987/88 could've gone all the way but we hit a bad run of draws not long after this.

Old Tynecastle Park...gone but not forgotten.

I loved watching this. It was around this time that I really began my obsession with Hearts. I was brought up in England so only got to see us a couple of times a season but I loved it. I loved the old Tynie and absolutely hero worshiped John Colquhoun. I could easily have supported Liverpool or Man Utd since they were more local teams but nothing compared to my trips up to watch Hearts.

Done things I noticed:

Old football was better.

Neil Berry's clattering foul would have been a straight red nowadays. He never even got booked.

Nobody surrounded the ref after the penalty decision. It was just accepted.

The twirly was great.

Squad numbers should be scrapped so that 1-11 can come back. It was much better then.

Wayne Foster was better than I remember. So was Kenny Black.

Hearts fans singing 'Its a grand old team to play for'. I forgot about that. Sounds weird now.

I'm very glad that I support Hearts.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

That's the only game when I've ever spotted myself in the crowd on the highlights afterwards. Was 6 years old

Great viewing and nice to see 'jockey caps' being sported in the ground and to hear a few old renditions of songs that would apparently be unacceptable now: and if you know...

Archie using some old Scots words too.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I was at that game. We should have had 10.

The old Tynie was magnificent wasn't it? :thumbsup:

I know things always seem less good when you're older but football felt magic to me back then

I loved it back then but unlike most others, I am not living in the past. I was in my mid twentys & thought we were great.

It WAS exciting, but even our average fringe players of today can control a pass better than every player on the park (except maybe Robbo & JC)

If I'm honest, only the same 2 would have a chance of getting into todays squad.

People that say players were better then either............

1)don't go now.

2)giving their mind a treat.

3)are the same dinosaurs that harp on aabout 'white away strips' every summer.

I loved it back then but unlike most others, I am not living in the past. I was in my mid twentys & thought we were great.

It WAS exciting, but even our average fringe players of today can control a pass better than every player on the park (except maybe Robbo & JC)

If I'm honest, only the same 2 would have a chance of getting into todays squad.

1)don't go now.

gok-wan.jpg

You go girl!

;)

Thanks for the video. My observations:

I started going to games just before this but I can never recollect there being standing in the enclosure.

I wish I had at one time watched my football from the enclosure

Bar scarves piss all over your fancy 'read my scarf' efforts

Why would anyone choose to stand in the school end, uncovered & what sort of people were they?

Proper rabble rousing songs being sung like 'hello hello', before the degenerate **** ups that take offense began to rule football

The grey/maroon track suits that the ballboys wore

I love the old Tynecastle & I love Hearts

Sandy Jadine & Alex Macdonald looked about the classiest managers we ever had

Keith Wright on the end of a defeat from Hearts - :verysmug:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I love watching the old stuff. It's not Hearts, and apologies for the wild tangent, but I was watching

after reading about it in The Guardian this morning. One thing that really stands out is just how comically bad the standard of play is. This is European competition and it's seriously no better than a Third Division game. Don't get me wrong, I love the old timey stuff and the game was completely different back then but today's teams would put at least 20 goals past these guys.

I love watching the old stuff. It's not Hearts, and apologies for the wild tangent, but I was watching

after reading about it in The Guardian this morning. One thing that really stands out is just how comically bad the standard of play is. This is European competition and it's seriously no better than a Third Division game. Don't get me wrong, I love the old timey stuff and the game was completely different back then but today's teams would put at least 20 goals past these guys.

and on which game is this based. i remember a pish poor aberdeen beating us 3-0 last season and if either team strung 3 passes together i missed it. i've seen many gash games over the years that would disprove your take on events

its pretty hard to compare different times but from a hearts fans point of view, that was entertainment and damn good it was to

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

and on which game is this based. i remember a pish poor aberdeen beating us 3-0 last season and if either team strung 3 passes together i missed it. i've seen many gash games over the years that would disprove your take on events

its pretty hard to compare different times but from a hearts fans point of view, that was entertainment and damn good it was to

Sorry, I was talking about my link from the 60s.

J Cheever Loophole

No, you're thinking of Hearts v Aberdeen which was played on Sunday 20th April 1986, a 1-1 draw and the 30th and penultimate game of our 31 game unbeaten run.

Did we not play Dundee in the first professional game to be played on a Sunday in Scotland?I seem to remember everybody on the bus pooling money for a couple of pints when we got home.

PoAb2 - Just want to say a big thanks.

Brings a lot of very happy memories back to me, both football wise and generally as a happy time of my life.

Your time and trouble to upload and put these games on here is well appreciated.

:thumbsup:

Did we not play Dundee in the first professional game to be played on a Sunday in Scotland?I seem to remember everybody on the bus pooling money for a couple of pints when we got home.

Sorry mate, I've no idea when we first played on a Sunday but the first ever live TV Scottish league match was the game I mentioned on that Sunday in April 1986.

not looked up London Hearts, 3-3 draw, Brian McNaughton scoring a late equalizer, Robbo missing a penalty at the school end after winning it very very softly.

My link

just looked it up, I think it was the first Sunday game in the Premier League (not televised), not sure why, possibly moved because of rugby

1)don't go now.

I kind of get your point but there's no way any of our current defenders are better than Craig Levein was.

Johanes de Silentio

Sorry mate, I've no idea when we first played on a Sunday but the first ever live TV Scottish league match was the game I mentioned on that Sunday in April 1986.

Hearts v Aberdeen, was it not? One-all?

Francis Albert

1)don't go now.

I go back a lot longer than this game, but that was the thing that struck me. Generally basic technique looked poor by today's standards.

Interesting to see a classic Zaliukas-like bomb-scare moment from Dave McPherson early on.

Francis Albert

Thanks for the video. My observations:

I started going to games just before this but I can never recollect there being standing in the enclosure.

I wish I had at one time watched my football from the enclosure

Bar scarves piss all over your fancy 'read my scarf' efforts

Why would anyone choose to stand in the school end, uncovered & what sort of people were they?

Proper rabble rousing songs being sung like 'hello hello', before the degenerate **** ups that take offense began to rule football

The grey/maroon track suits that the ballboys wore

I love the old Tynecastle & I love Hearts

Sandy Jadine & Alex Macdonald looked about the classiest managers we ever had

Keith Wright on the end of a defeat from Hearts - :verysmug:

I was one, some of the time anyway. If it wasn't raining, standing in the open air was pleasant enough. Also lots liked watching from the end we were shooting into - pre-segregation fans would migrate en-masse to the other end at HT. Even once the Gorgie end was closed off, people would move from the school end to nearer where they hoped the action would be if we were attacking the Gorgie end.

lost in leith

I kind of get your point but there's no way any of our current defenders are better than Craig Levein was.

Correct, and Gary Mackay and Dave Macpherson in their prime wouldn't get into our current squad :blink:

PoAb2 - Just want to say a big thanks.

Brings a lot of very happy memories back to me, both football wise and generally as a happy time of my life.

Your time and trouble to upload and put these games on here is well appreciated.

:thumbsup:

Thank you. Plenty more to come hopefully!

Thank you. Plenty more to come hopefully!

p0ab2,

Do you have the 2-0 win over Rangers from season 1988/89?

Fantastic performance that day ..... we were like Barcelona :lol:

It brought back some memories but provided a new one too .... I never realised that Shuggy Burns actually did once pass the ball to JC :teehee:

p0ab2,

Do you have the 2-0 win over Rangers from season 1988/89?

I do indeed. And it's one of the games I have 'archived' so I could make that my next upload.

I do indeed. And it's one of the games I have 'archived' so I could make that my next upload.

Top man p0ab2. Always enjoy your work.

Archived