Robbo

jambodan

Me and a couple of boys were remenising in the pub last night, and the question I posed was, would John Robertson be as successful in todays Hearts team ? - ie would he score as many goals as he did ?.

We kind of came to the conclusion that he would have cos he was a clinical finisher and he would probably be playing in better team than he did for most of his career.

Any thoughts ?

Some of our recent sides couldn`t lace the boots of Hearts teams back then mate. Alot is made of the fitness of todays teams and how its meant to be better but i think thats alot of bull. Teams were very fit back then and the game was argubly more physical, so players had more to deal with.

None of our current forwards come close to Robbos finishing ability but he was also a strong wee sheight on the ball and clever too with his general play.

Some of our recent sides couldn`t lace the boots of Hearts teams back then mate. Alot is made of the fitness of todays teams and how its meant to be better but i think thats alot of bull. Teams were very fit back then and the game was argubly more physical, so players had more to deal with.

None of our current forwards come close to Robbos finishing ability but he was also a strong wee sheight on the ball and clever too with his general play.

Spot on, the Hearts team of the mid to late 80s were great to watch and looked pretty fit aswell, but the team JJ has now is I would say on a par with them. But I would say the 80s boys were more exciting to watch IMO.

We wouldn't play in the formation we have been if Robbo was in the squad. He would be wasted in either the central role on his own or out wide although he would still be top scorer easy.

Great players adapt.

Fekn ridiculous 'debate'

It's like saying Dave Mackay would be sent off every week nowadays.

No he wouldn't.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Robbo was at his best playing beside big strikers such as sandy clarke.

he would flourish playing beside big kev.

Robbo would score so many goals it's stupid. If Gary Hooper can get loads in this SPL, you can imagine how many a modern day Robbo would get.

Only trouble is, he'd have been punted to England much sooner than he was before. We couldn't afford to keep him.

Best player I've seen at Hearts in my lifetime (though John Colquhoun will always be my favourite).

The King Robbo would have scored a huge amount of goals in any league, & in any era.

I consider it a huge privilege to have seen practically his entire career at Tynecastle.

For the younger supporters who missed him, just imagine starting every game with a one goal lead. Two, if it was against Hibs.

Snake Plissken

One of my favourite Robbo goals is the winner he scored against Celtic in the League Cup in 1996.

McCann plays in a delightful low pass and Robbo takes his time, waits for the ball to arrive at the right point rather than lash at it first time, and plants it right in the bottom corner. The composure and reading of the game was made to look very easy. He was a natural finisher who would score in any league.

Me and a couple of boys were remenising in the pub last night, and the question I posed was, would John Robertson be as successful in todays Hearts team ? - ie would he score as many goals as he did ?.

We kind of came to the conclusion that he would have cos he was a clinical finisher and he would probably be playing in better team than he did for most of his career.

Any thoughts ?

Jesus wept.

What a strange discussion. Football is about many things, tactics, formations, defending properly....

But far and away the hardest thing to do in pro football is actually put the ball in the net. If it was easy, more people would do it more often.

Robbo consistently scored loads. That makes him an all-time great, surely our best player since the 50's and quite possibly on a par with legends such as the Terrible Trio. He had an instinct for being in the right place and then he could also find the target.

Robbo would walk into any Hearts team there has ever been. Nothing to discuss here.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

See the next time that ball is bouncing of people's arses, knees, thighs and shins and the current strikers are just watching it do so and looking hesitant to put their foot through it? think back to the late eighties and early nineties and just imagine what our current goal difference would look like right now.

John was more than a goal-scorer, that is true, he was a very good player... However, first and foremost HE WAS A GOAL-SCORER and a feckin great one at that.

JR would score tons of goals in any Hearts team.

Take a wee bit of issue with the bit about this team being a superior one to the ones he played in most of his career though... The eighty six team was better IMO and there is a good case for a few more besides since then too.

Robbo was and is a legend and my favourite player of my lifetime. :thumbsup:

Francis Albert

Maybe a more interesting question is whether Kyle or Clarke would have made the better partner for Robbo. Some posts on here imply that Robbo might have been even more prolific alongside Kyle. I think my money would still be on Sandy Clarke - a bit more mobile and a better passer and directed the ball better with his head.

More widely, is there any other Hearts player of the last thirty years who did or could have bettered those two in the role?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Maybe a more interesting question is whether Kyle or Clarke would have made the better partner for Robbo. Some posts on here imply that Robbo might have been even more prolific alongside Kyle. I think my money would still be on Sandy Clarke - a bit more mobile and a better passer and directed the ball better with his head.

More widely, is there any other Hearts player of the last thirty years who did or could have bettered those two in the role?

Clarke for me... not by a country mile though. Definitely Clarke though.

scott herbertson

Clarke for me... not by a country mile though. Definitely Clarke though.

His little spell early on alongside Jimmy Bone should also be considered.

Bone gave a master class demonstration in the art of being a centre forward, ssuing your weight, making defenders life difficult and knowing when to give and when to go.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

His little spell early on alongside Jimmy Bone should also be considered.

Bone gave a master class demonstration in the art of being a centre forward, ssuing your weight, making defenders life difficult and knowing when to give and when to go.

Just before my time there Scott. I remember Sandy but I was pretty young at the time. I am not even gonna mention Ian Baird, that was who I saw him paired with most when I was a nipper. :ermm:

Always heard Bone was a very effective player in this role though. :thumbsup:

Archived