Could James McCarthy still play for Scotland?

tazhearts

Ray Houghton was deemed not good enough, he was plying his trade for oxford when he started playing international football.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ray Houghton was deemed not good enough, he was plying his trade for oxford when he started playing international football.

yep. he was also mid twenties. I have no problem with folk pursuing International football with a country they are eligible for if their 'actual' country is not interested. Ireland chasing round kids with Irish granddads at 14 is wrong though (not any more wrong than Craig Levein courting Andy Carroll though) and I do think this is where it becomes a problem.

His agent has said its a load of nonsense. Ah well. If he wants to play for soemone else let him. Hope we pump them now and show him whats he's missing

kingantti1874

Just read it. In which case the little tramp can do one and I wish him a lifetime of failure and misery.

Can I be the first to say treacherous dirty little BIGOT, hope he gets snapped soon

Guest Bilel Mohsni

In reflection of the Webster scenario, I have think that we as fans would have to just let events take their course.if he decides to stay with Eire then we can only speculate as to his reasons and just get on with it. He seems to feel that he was unfairly treated by Scotland and cites that as his rationale, fair do(')s, if that is his reasoning then it is a wee bit sad but there aint a great deal we can do about really. He has potential but let's no get all bent out of shape about it like we are missing out on the greatest Scotland player of all time... He's no and would never be.

If he decides to actually represent his country of birth and not be so bitter then fair do(')s too, that would mean he has looked inside himself and realised that playing for your country is a bigger thing than any other footballing priviledge that he will get again.

Let's however not make out that this wee laddie is somehow a superstar who will make or break his countries footballing fortunes, he won't.

I would not like to see us falling over ourselves trying to seduce the boy back into feeling some national pride, that would just devalue Scottish football and he should never be welcomed like a returning hero if he did. Equally though let's not let the laddie think that we are in some way goosed if he carries on this ridiculous facade that he is an Irishman.

I'd hope he could return to being Scottish. I think he promised his grandfather he'd play for Ireland, but he's done that now, promise fulfilled, time to switch to the boys in blue.

Think he'll be a great player, and also think future looks better for Scotland's squad of players than the republics.

Not a huge deal though, either way.

If his agent wants to know where its come from, I suggest he either reads more papers or asks Trappatoni. He's the person who has put it in the public domain.

Can I be the first to say treacherous dirty little BIGOT, hope he gets snapped soon

The fact he's chosen Ireland over Scotland does not automatically make him a bigot. I think it's the wrong choice but it's his to make. You dont know the ins and outs of it and you are in no position to judge whether his motivation was bigoted.

:vrface:

What he forgets to mention about the English born players playing for Scotland is that they haven't turned their back on England to play for Scotland, they are doing so because they aren't ever going to get called up for England.

Whether that is right or wrong it is a completely different scenario.

It's all just one big anti-Celtic conspiracy though isn't it.

The Irish sell their country so much better than we sell ours - we have a country that that has 100 times more interesting history, is more beautiful, have a more variegated culture but we can't sell it for sheeit...

Say what you like but the Irish with their pubs, leprechauns, Guinness, craic, Struggles, and a few poets and writers have absolutely trounced us in the country-marketing stakes. We've been blinded by tartan and a bitter chip in the shoulder. Somehow, instead of marketing Scotland and all it has to offer we've somehow got to this situation where we do not stand for much other than anti-Irishness in the West and Anti-English all over. It's very sad. Generally speaking we are the most parochial and bigotted country in the UK & Eire...

Sometimes I wish Westminister would just cut us adrift so we collectively have to grow a pair and find our own identity...

Archived