Is Carrick Knowe a decent area to live?

What are the shops/pubs like?

Nucky Thompson

Been looking at flats here.

Does anyone live here?

Is Carrick Knowe a decent area to live?

What are the shops/pubs like?

What area are you in now?

Been there 15 years. It's okay. The primary school is good. Shops are sound. Don't drink round here. The houses are made of tissue paper mind. I can here me neighbours mobile phone vibrate. At least I think it's his mobile phone :whistling:

I take it that it will be the flats at the golf course?.. Good place to live stayed in Carrick Knowe for 21 year. Got everything near by, spar, bookies, chippy, the pub which is ok can be pretty quiet at times, 2.80 a pint now but it doesnt stop me drinking there to be honest. But you've got the Corrie inn up the road which is good.

Stayed in CK for 22 years, miss the place actually. Primary school and shops are excellent, not far from Corstorphine with plenty shops there too. The police were at the park quite often but it's a pretty quiet area, unless it's changed since I left. What street are you looking at mate?

...a bit disco

Gary Mackay used to shop in the Spar round there.

Why not ask him?;)

Not the flats at the golf course. The older villas. Looking at quite a few, so no road in particular. I currently live in fountainbridge.

You should get a 2 bedroom villa for 550-600 pcm. I would go for Broomfield Crescent, Broombank Terrace or Broomside Terrace instead of Carrick Knowe itself.

You should get a 2 bedroom villa for 550-600 pcm. I would go for Broomfield Crescent, Broombank Terrace or Broomside Terrace instead of Carrick Knowe itself.

Looking to buy. Was looking at that side of the main road more than 'carrick knowe' I suppose.

If you want a decent Boozer get a Social membership at Carrick Knowe Bowling Club. Good bunch of lads and a cracking Pint for under ?2.20 :thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth

Looking to buy. Was looking at that side of the main road more than 'carrick knowe' I suppose.

Remember the resident mortgage advisor who doesn't charge fees for Jambo's :whistling:

:cheese:

I was resident DJ at Carricknowe Golf club for about 8 years.

Nothing to do with flats but thought I'd mention it.

Mitchell you are a Whore mate :P

Remember the resident mortgage advisor who doesn't charge fees for Jambo's :whistling:

:cheese:

Ha ha. Little bit of advice John, what should I offer under a fixed price (as a rule of thumb). I have no idea how to value a property myself, so can only go on home reports and market price.

The Old Tolbooth

Ha ha. Little bit of advice John, what should I offer under a fixed price (as a rule of thumb). I have no idea how to value a property myself, so can only go on home reports and market price.

To be honest, there's no defining rule mate and it all depends on the sellers circumstances. If it was me (nudge nudge wink wink ;) ) I'd go in around 10% lower than the asking price to test the water, if the house is a burden and they want rid then they would probably be thinking long and hard about taking that offer.

One thing to bear in mind however is that if you get the property for under the asking price that the lender would value the property at whatever the property is purchased for, and not the higher valuation, a lot of people make this mistake and think that because they get the property cheaper, that it means they have a larger deposit, but it's not the case as the lender views the property value at what someone is willing to pay for it, and not what a piece of paper says (I know it's wrong, but can see the banks point on this too to be honest)

The home report will have the value of the property, and they're not allowed to be out by too much as the surveyors have tolerance levels to adhere to, so you're pretty much guaranteed that whatever the home report says the property is valued at, is pretty much correct. A valuation is down to opinion anyway mate, and you could get 3 surveyors out to look at a property where the first one would value it at ?99,000, the second one at ?100,000, and the third one at ?101,000, at least you know your ballpark figure to work with.

Hope this helps mate :thumbsup:

To be honest, there's no defining rule mate and it all depends on the sellers circumstances. If it was me (nudge nudge wink wink ;) ) I'd go in around 10% lower than the asking price to test the water, if the house is a burden and they want rid then they would probably be thinking long and hard about taking that offer.

One thing to bear in mind however is that if you get the property for under the asking price that the lender would value the property at whatever the property is purchased for, and not the higher valuation, a lot of people make this mistake and think that because they get the property cheaper, that it means they have a larger deposit, but it's not the case as the lender views the property value at what someone is willing to pay for it, and not what a piece of paper says (I know it's wrong, but can see the banks point on this too to be honest)

The home report will have the value of the property, and they're not allowed to be out by too much as the surveyors have tolerance levels to adhere to, so you're pretty much guaranteed that whatever the home report says the property is valued at, is pretty much correct. A valuation is down to opinion anyway mate, and you could get 3 surveyors out to look at a property where the first one would value it at ?99,000, the second one at ?100,000, and the third one at ?101,000, at least you know your ballpark figure to work with.

Hope this helps mate :thumbsup:

Cool, thanks mate. Having looked at a few sites, I was thinking, wherever I went for, to go in at about 10-12% under fixed price. Most of the places I see are below home report value anyways.

I'm not quite getting the middle paragraph tho. I went into a mortgage advisor a few days ago (sorry mate) and they went through the whole process, I said I'm looking for properties around the ?135k mark, with a ?27k deposit. I got accepted, best rate was from Skipton, with a decent rate. If I got a place for say ?125k, does that mean I'd get the same rates etc. with my 27k deposit, effectively having a 98k deposit, or are you saying it will change as I have paid less for the house??

I grew up in Carrick Knowe, and I'm going to be honest - it's ******* great.

If not one of your usual sarcastic comments :lol: , then cheers! :thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth

Cool, thanks mate. Having looked at a few sites, I was thinking, wherever I went for, to go in at about 10-12% under fixed price. Most of the places I see are below home report value anyways.

I'm not quite getting the middle paragraph tho. I went into a mortgage advisor a few days ago (sorry mate) and they went through the whole process, I said I'm looking for properties around the ?135k mark, with a ?27k deposit. I got accepted, best rate was from Skipton, with a decent rate. If I got a place for say ?125k, does that mean I'd get the same rates etc. with my 27k deposit, effectively having a 98k deposit, or are you saying it will change as I have paid less for the house??

Rates are based on loan to value mate, your first figures of a ?27k deposit based on a property value of ?135k works out at exactly 80% loan to value, whereas if you got a property at ?125k and still had the same ?27k deposit, then your loan to value would be 78.4%. It doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference in regards to what rates become available as you'd need to go under 75% loan to value to open more doors, however it makes a difference to your monthly payments as you'd have a lower amount borrowed.

Based on what your looking for, the Skipton are up there but are not the cheapest on my system, Abbey come up with a Tracker, and TMW come up with the best fixed rate. Also, Bank of China come up with a Tracker too but they're very difficult to go through as they want to know what you had for breakfast, your knicker colour, and how many birds you've been with in the past, they leave no stone unturned :D

Gimme a PM if you want me to look into it further mate, it's no problem. :thumbsup:

Rates are based on loan to value mate, your first figures of a ?27k deposit based on a property value of ?135k works out at exactly 80% loan to value, whereas if you got a property at ?125k and still had the same ?27k deposit, then your loan to value would be 78.4%. It doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference in regards to what rates become available as you'd need to go under 75% loan to value to open more doors, however it makes a difference to your monthly payments as you'd have a lower amount borrowed.

Based on what your looking for, the Skipton are up there but are not the cheapest on my system, Abbey come up with a Tracker, and TMW come up with the best fixed rate. Also, Bank of China come up with a Tracker too but they're very difficult to go through as they want to know what you had for breakfast, your knicker colour, and how many birds you've been with in the past, they leave no stone unturned :D

Gimme a PM if you want me to look into it further mate, it's no problem. :thumbsup:

Cheers John. Will be in touch should I require further info, or professional advice. At the moment, I'm viewing a few properties, seeing what's available. Great help though. Thanks!

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but how high an LTV are mortgage lenders going to just now?

I lived there for two years between 1999 and 2001. It was a nice house in a decent area but I would scope out your neighbours before you commit to a purchase.

The reason being is that these 'Gumley' houses, built in between the wars have little sound proofing and it can lead to problems with whoever is above or below you.

The area itself is fine.

You have a PM.

I lived there for two years between 1999 and 2001. It was a nice house in a decent area but I would scope out your neighbours before you commit to a purchase.

The reason being is that these 'Gumley' houses, built in between the wars have little sound proofing and it can lead to problems with whoever is above or below you.

The area itself is fine.

You have a PM.

I can confirm this too. I was brought up in a Gumley house in Pilton which my mother still stays in. You can hear the upstairs neighbour fart, burp or whatever and i'm sure they can hear the same from my mums.

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but how high an LTV are mortgage lenders going to just now?

We were told up to 90% when we went. And that chances of being accepted were pretty decent. I just went out of interest, not really expecting too much.

Edit: As John said, the rates improve the higher deposit you have, seems to decrease in 5% stages.

Warnings aside, Carrick Knowe can be a good place to live if you have good neighbours.

...and you can't beat sitting in your garden on a warm summer's morning listening to the sound of chimpanzees mating.

The Old Tolbooth

It's possible to get a 95% mortgage, however you'll pay a higher interest rate, and you need to go direct to the lender in question to get it as we have none available to us right now.

I'm having a look at some direct deals for you at 95% and it looks like Clydesdale Bank and Lloyds TSB are the only options, but your credit rating would need to be very good to qualify as they see it as taking a huge risk mate.

EDIT - For the Lloyds TSB deals, you need to be a current account holder with them to qualify for their 4.89% rate, however if you've got no account with them then the lowest available rate would be 5.09% which is very decent for 95% loan to value, Clydesdale rate is 6.99%.

Warnings aside, Carrick Knowe can be a good place to live if you have good neighbours.

...and you can't beat sitting in your garden on a warm summer's morning listening to the sound of chimpanzees mating.

Hopefully the neighbours won't be that bad!

Recently moved into a let

Wasnt sure if upstairs neighbours were takin the piss or not when i had a quiet word with about the noise and they said they werent doing anything untoward, they seemed like decent folk so had to leave it at that

After reading this thread i can now see they were tellin the truth

Some advice, get a top villa

The whole noise thing is definitely putting me off. I'll need to ask when I view, but can't really expect a truthful answer to that!

Recently moved into a let

Wasnt sure if upstairs neighbours were takin the piss or not when i had a quiet word with about the noise and they said they werent doing anything untoward, they seemed like decent folk so had to leave it at that

After reading this thread i can now see they were tellin the truth

Some advice, get a top villa

The top villas enjoy an advantage but you still hear every cough and door slam.

The walls are much thicker in Carrick Knowe than they are where I am now, it was never much of a problem. They are good solid houses, you are still better with an upper villa though.

The whole noise thing is definitely putting me off. I'll need to ask when I view, but can't really expect a truthful answer to that!

I lived in Carrick Knowe Rd for 3 years and I was in an upper, and had great neighbours but honest to god your do hear everything and I mean everything :whistling:

They had new borns twins and a 3 yr old and it was a nightmare and they cried and she let them cry for long enough before comforting them, very very annoying, thank god they moved after 6 months.

Carrick Knowe is lovely, but yes, the soundproofing leaves a lot to bes desired :thumbsup:

I must've had quiet neighbours, I have an upper villa in the drive that I lived in for 9 years and very rarely heard a peep from through the walls / floor. Only recently got tenants signed up for it after the last ones moved out on xmas eve. I would have happily sold it this time last month but couldn't really afford it not to be giving me cash for another month.

Archived