Hooper for Scotland?

mahgrassyshoes

They were the three players I was thinking about tbh, Would people rather have the likes of those three 'non-scots' that fought tooth and nail every time they pulled on the dark blue or 'real' scots like Ferguson, Boyd, McCulloch and S Fletcher that were only ever interested in playing if they were getting a few days in the sun or were in with a shout of getting a jersey off someone world class at the end of the game?

He is English.

How many times do folk need telt, his dad is Scotish?!

by a very dubious standard. He was born here by accident to two English parents and was in the country less than a week. And I don;t think for a minute he considers himself Scottish.

I don't have a problem with any eligible players playing for us btw.

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

I like hooper and wouldn't have a problem with him, scores goals and would be a better option than steven naismith!

tell u wht how about we just scrap the rule and change it 2 if youve ever had a drink of irn bru ur eligible some anglos r ok but soon theres gonna b a full team of anglos playing 4 scotland thts just ridiculous

tell u wht how about we just scrap the rule and change it 2 if youve ever had a drink of irn bru ur eligible some anglos r ok but soon theres gonna b a full team of anglos playing 4 scotland thts just ridiculous

People were saying the same thing when we had don hutchison etc... it never materialised.

Bardsley and Commons are the only players that would get there game right now and that is only if Levein prefers Bardsley over Wallace which is unclear at the moment.

(I really rate Bardsley though)

Fozzyonthefence

I'd much rather have an Englishman in our side that wants to play and is willing to try than a Scottish waste of a shirt like Boyd. I really don't see the issue, and I think we've got a massive chip on our shoulder if we're going to turn down a good player because of some misguided national pride.

Aren't you missing the point? Isn't international football supposed to be all about national pride, i.e. pride in playing for your country, not someone else's country? What you're suggesting sounds like club football - just gather together the best team irrespective of where they come from. I don't agree with that for international football & don't see the point of international football if that's the road it's going down. Personally I'd stop with a qualifying parent, not grandparent & I don't agree with Driver playing for Scotland either although I think he has a better case than some that have played for us.

Templeton'sUnderpants

Bardsley showed last night that you don't need to be 'proper Scottish' to play passionately like everyone else on the park.

Besides the way I see it we are yet to recoup the losses of players of the calibre of mcgeady and mcarthy. I'm quite happy to do what literally everyone else is doing to compete.

Didn't see this posted anywhere, but Gary Hooper is actively looking for a blood line to play for Scotland. He thinks there may be something through his grandad. Is it just me or is there something a bit wrong about going out and looking for a link to play for a nation that isn't really yours? Let's be honest, it's very unlikely the thought of playing for Scotland ever crossed his mind before he played for Celtic. I dunno maybe the fact I hate Celtic and I'm not really keen on Hooper are clouding my judgement...

http://news.bbc.co.u...and/9391709.stm

A friend of mine (his son plays in my under 6/7 team) is a friend of Hoopers, so i just text him to find out, if any thing comes of it, i'll post the info!

Aren't you missing the point? Isn't international football supposed to be all about national pride, i.e. pride in playing for your country, not someone else's country? What you're suggesting sounds like club football - just gather together the best team irrespective of where they come from. I don't agree with that for international football & don't see the point of international football if that's the road it's going down. Personally I'd stop with a qualifying parent, not grandparent & I don't agree with Driver playing for Scotland either although I think he has a better case than some that have played for us.

It is about national pride, but you can still take pride in your national team with people playing in it who were not born in Scotland but have family ties.

If they want to play for us and are willing to put effort in, then I don't see the problem at all. If you welcome these people, and encourage them to play they might well buy into our national pride. We should have a more inclusive national team. If you've got a family member who is Scottish, or immigrated and lived here for a number of years then I think you should be more than welcome to play for us.

For me, the genealogy of a player isn't an issue. I only want to see the best players out there who are eligible to play for us, and see 100% commitment.

TA guys want 100% pure Scottish. This sounds Nazi like to me, master race stuff.

If players like Hooper and Driver drive fans like that away from the game then they should be welcomed.

TA guys want 100% pure Scottish. This sounds Nazi like to me, master race stuff.

If players like Hooper and Driver drive fans like that away from the game then they should be welcomed.

:rofl:

GREAT STUFF.

by a very dubious standard. He was born here by accident to two English parents and was in the country less than a week. And I don;t think for a minute he considers himself Scottish.

I don't have a problem with any eligible players playing for us btw.

I read that his dad is a proud scot who wore a kilt in a packed bar in salford when we played them in 99. Also read last week that he said his dad cried when he made his debut he was so proud of his son playing for scotland (given that part could just be parental pride).

The TA are backwards, they are sick puppies.

They were booing the national anthem again and embarrassing Scotland and the Scotland support. They will get pulled it for it eventually. They are shameless.

Guest Dipped Flake

They were booing the national anthem again and embarrassing Scotland and the Scotland support. They will get pulled it for it eventually. They are shameless.

Must be missing your glorious leader now that all the Scotland hating is falling on your shoulders. Why do you always get so worked up about a country and team you have no interest in. Well actually I know you don't get worked up and just post your usual anti-Scots trolling. You are never going to be as good as the old master though so maybe best to just give it a rest. Us TA were on great form yesterday in sunny Ireland, mixing with all these nasty oirish, both real and northern ones...

I reckon you should just give up this trolling game.

You're no Therapist. :(

alwaysthereinspirit

I like hooper and wouldn't have a problem with him, scores goals and would be a better option than steven naismith!

Hooper? Is he the toe-rag that dived to get Kello sent off in the 2 - 0 game and was booked for simulation? That Hooper?

im happy for him to play for Scotland. Been a prolific striker this season, and the fact he's actually trying to find a way to play shows he's keen, good news imo. :thumbsup:

rudi must stay

if he wants to play for us then that's fine IMO. But Levein should make sure he has to wait for his chance like everyone else..

Carl Weathers

I read that his dad is a proud scot who wore a kilt in a packed bar in salford when we played them in 99. Also read last week that he said his dad cried when he made his debut he was so proud of his son playing for scotland (given that part could just be parental pride).

For info'

?My grandparents were just up here for a few days, it wasn?t planned,? says his son. ?When England played Scotland back in 1999, my dad, who runs a social club with my mum in Salford, came out that day with a kilt on which was a bit of a joke with the lads in there to watch it. The fact I qualify for Scotland has always been at the back of my mind and I do sometimes think, ?Where do I stand with England?? I want to play international football for one or the other and I?m thinking about it seriously now. I intend to make my decision in the next month or so. You have to ask yourself, ?Do I want to get some international caps or do I want to just go running on Friday mornings while the others are away??

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article601171.ece

I thought Bardsley was excellent last night.

I wonder if the ones who are excusing the TA disrespecting a nation's national anthem will be so keen to downplay the next time Rangers FC's support do something remotely questionable.

Archived