3rd a must for Europe

Clerry Jambo

http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s69

Apologies if this has been discussed already but looking at the Spl site we need to secure 3rd at least to make Europe.

The way the Scottish Cup is working out, if any of the smellies win it then the cup runners up will qualify.

The only scenario I can see where 4th place would qualify is if Dundee Utd get to the final and get 3rd.

So vitally important we keep picking up the points, hopefully secure 3rd early doors and maybe have a go at the smellies.

Alternatively I could be talking Colin Nish :whistling:

I read that as we should be wanting either of the old firm to win the cup, then if we finish 3rd we'll go in at qualifying round 3 rather than 2. Could be wrong tho.

I read that as we should be wanting either of the old firm to win the cup, then if we finish 3rd we'll go in at qualifying round 3 rather than 2. Could be wrong tho.

yip agree mate

Not even a conversation piece Clerry - 3rd place secured with 2 T's double at Killie.

And now, the end is near.......

Problem Officer?

IMO there's no danger that we will lose 3rd.

It would be like us catching Celtic/Rangers at the top if one of the teams below us was to catch us now.

Especially under Jefferies & Co. I just don't see us losing it tbh.

I'm probably alone in this but I would rather we started in the 2nd qualifiers than the 3rd.

A lot is made of Scottish teams match fitness and sharpness for European games. I would rather we had two competitive games in the 2nd Q to warm up for the 3rd round rather than just strolling in after a couple of meaningless friendlies.

Looking at the teams in the 2nd qualifier this season (of course it won't be quite the same next season) we could get easier games against the likes of Tre Penne (San Marino), Valletta (Malta) or Cliftonville (NI) who we could surely slaughter even at our worst.

I would rather build up against them than suddenly be thrown into a game against the likes of Cercle Brugge.

Not even a conversation piece Clerry - 3rd place secured with 2 T's double at Killie.

And now, the end is near.......

Still a bit work to do Craig....really hope we can keep the winning mentality to the end of the season and keep fairly close to the OF :thumbsup:

Fozzyonthefence

I'm probably alone in this but I would rather we started in the 2nd qualifiers than the 3rd.

A lot is made of Scottish teams match fitness and sharpness for European games. I would rather we had two competitive games in the 2nd Q to warm up for the 3rd round rather than just strolling in after a couple of meaningless friendlies.

Looking at the teams in the 2nd qualifier this season (of course it won't be quite the same next season) we could get easier games against the likes of Tre Penne (San Marino), Valletta (Malta) or Cliftonville (NI) who we could surely slaughter even at our worst.

I would rather build up against them than suddenly be thrown into a game against the likes of Cercle Brugge.

Who did the team from San Marino beat to get to the 2nd round?! :o

If we don't finish 3rd from this position we don't deserve Europe anyway.

Guest Dipped Flake

If netiher celtic or rangers get the league and Scottish cup double then 4th place gets into europe. It's only if whoever wins the cup has already qualified for the champions league that runner-up in the cup gets a europe spot.

If netiher celtic or rangers get the league and Scottish cup double then 4th place gets into europe. It's only if whoever wins the cup has already qualified for the champions league that runner-up in the cup gets a europe spot.

Your spot on DF - read it again and again until it finally slapped me on the face :)

Was just looking at this.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2011.html

Scotlands best 2 coefficinet years 6.75 for 06/07 and 10.25 for 07/08 are the next 2 to drop off the counrty coefficient.

Unless more Scottish teams make some progress in the CL and EL in the next couple of years Scotlands ranking could drop from 16 to 27.

Im not afraid to say this but its very rare for Hearts to throw away third spot once we get a decent foothold on it.

However, you should never assume anything. You`d think with 14 games to go and the way we`ve performed in the first 24 we should comfortably end the season with a few more wins, but all it takes is a daft couple of defeats while the others make up ground and we put could put ourselves under P.

But, i think we have a fair bit character about us this season and im confident the players will deliver. :thumbsup:

Who did the team from San Marino beat to get to the 2nd round?! :o

If we don't finish 3rd from this position we don't deserve Europe anyway.

According to Wikipedia:

The domestic cup winners of associations 52 and 53 (Malta and San Marino) have been promoted from the first qualifying to the second qualifying round.

Napoleon  Wilson

My mate's a Utd fan and he is convinced they will catch us! Either that or they will retain the Scottish Cup and still get Europe again! It's what dreams are made of, The Tangerine Wet Dream

deary dear.

3rd place is not secured.

if things go well in the near future then it could be secure very soon. if they don't then there could be a long battle.

12 point lead - 42 points to play for.

deary dear.

3rd place is not secured.

if things go well in the near future then it could be secure very soon. if they don't then there could be a long battle.

12 point lead - 42 points to play for.

My thoughts exactly, looks a healthy lead but a few defeats and it changes very quickly.

But I do think we are certainly good enough to go on and secure 3rd fairly comfortably, but it would be tasty if we could just hang on to the OF come the split

My thoughts exactly, looks a healthy lead but a few defeats and it changes very quickly.

But I do think we are certainly good enough to go on and secure 3rd fairly comfortably, but it would be tasty if we could just hang on to the OF come the split

hope so CJ. it would be handy to have another good run from now and blow the opposition away early on. if we do then we wont be all that far off second place. we could have a slight chance of doing something come the split. an extra wee interest.

The way the hibs fans are talking in the office we better watch our backs as they are now firmly back on track for a top 6 finsih after their dazzling display against St Mirren. :lol: You have to laugh.

Third is definitely not secured yet but it will be hard for anyone to catch us. Im not looking out the passport just yet.

My mate's a Utd fan and he is convinced they will catch us! Either that or they will retain the Scottish Cup and still get Europe again! It's what dreams are made of, The Tangerine Wet Dream

Just need to make sure that we hammer them at tannadice then and shut him up! :thumbsup:

Snake Plissken

United have got four games in hand but are 19 points behind and have 6 games between now and March 1st, I can't see them winning all of those games with the squad they have. I think they'll edge closer and probably overtake Killie but they'll still be a fair bit behind.

They have Celtic at home on Saturday and we're away to Hamilton, Kilmarnock have stuttered a little of late and face Hibs away which could be tricky for them. We could go 14-15 clear of Killie and 22 of United by Staurday evening and that would be a hell of a mountain for them to climb.

Though if we keep the points coming, the progress of the teams below will be irrelevant and we could go to the last derby of the season (no way will Hibs make the top six) in the knowledge that 3 points will tie up Europe. The sooner it's sealed up, the better.

Francis Albert

We're closer to 1st than 4th, even if Rangers win their two games in hand. With no OF games until the split, If we focus on narrowing the gap to 1st, then 3rd will take care of itself. If we start focusing on keeping 3rd, there is an outside chance we will be overtaken.

Charlie-Brown

technically it is still in Dundee Utd's hands to overtake us HOWEVER they MUST win all 4 games in hand PLUS beat us in the 3 remaining games against us (assuming they make top 6) THEN at least match or better our results in other games. I suppose it could possibly be done however it's a very big challenge needing at least SEVEN wins out 7 in the key games in hand plus games against us and then do no worse than us in the 7 other games left.

technically it is still in Dundee Utd's hands to overtake us HOWEVER they MUST win all 4 games in hand PLUS beat us in the 3 remaining games against us (assuming they make top 6) THEN at least match or better our results in other games. I suppose it could possibly be done however it's a very big challenge needing at least SEVEN wins out 7 in the key games in hand plus games against us and then do no worse than us in the 7 other games left.

In the end we`ll only have ourselves to blame if we don`t comfortably end 3rd at worst.

DU are a team i really want to get one over this season. They had a great year last year but i think everyone always felt if Hearts added a few good players and a decent management side we`d comeback to be a strong team...and that has proven true so far. United still have a few handy players but i certainly don`t think they are at the same levels of performance as last season.

We`ve got the bit between our teeth i feel and with only the league to concentrate on we shouldn`t be hampered as much with injuries etc..

Even with the sole addition of Webster the squad has taken a slightly more solid look about it, and with Kyle`s return on the horizon it`ll hopefully signal another good solid run over the next few games.

The way I see it is that Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock are the only realistic challengers for third.

Our next five games:

Hamilton (A)

Dundee Utd (H)

Aberdeen (A)

Kilmarnock (H)

Dundee Utd (A)

10 points or more from that lot and we can start looking out the beachballs and sombreros for the derby match at Fester Road IMO. :thumbsup:

Problem Officer?

If we beat Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock (our next two home games), then 3rd is sealed (although tbh I think it is already).

If we get 11+ points out of our next 5 games we should without doubt be looking at closing the gap as much as possible on 1st and 2nd as we would be on +/- 60 points with 8 or 9 games still to play!

Charlie-Brown

In the end we`ll only have ourselves to blame if we don`t comfortably end 3rd at worst.

DU are a team i really want to get one over this season. They had a great year last year but i think everyone always felt if Hearts added a few good players and a decent management side we`d comeback to be a strong team...and that has proven true so far. United still have a few handy players but i certainly don`t think they are at the same levels of performance as last season.

We`ve got the bit between our teeth i feel and with only the league to concentrate on we shouldn`t be hampered as much with injuries etc..

Even with the sole addition of Webster the squad has taken a slightly more solid look about it, and with Kyle`s return on the horizon it`ll hopefully signal another good solid run over the next few games.

what we are basically looking at is that United MUST WIN 7 games out of 7 (4 in hand + 3 v us) plus match or better our other results ..... that's a tall order for any SPL side - put it this way if the Old Firm had to win 7 out of 7 to win the title it wouldn't be easy for them so for Hearts, United or anybody else to win 7 out of 7 with almost no margin for error is even harder still ..... put it this way if we were 19 points behind them but with 4 in hand and still to play them 3 times would you be confident? It might possibly be achievable but it's a very tall order for them considering they've failed to win as many matches this season as they've won.

Was just looking at this.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2011.html

Scotlands best 2 coefficinet years 6.75 for 06/07 and 10.25 for 07/08 are the next 2 to drop off the counrty coefficient.

Unless more Scottish teams make some progress in the CL and EL in the next couple of years Scotlands ranking could drop from 16 to 27.

Our ranking is based almost entirely on the performances of Rangers and Celtic, and it has only been Rangers and Celtic who have benefited from our automatic entries into the CL. I have no issue at all with us dropping to 27th in Europe - it is probably a fair assessment of our league, and if it keeps Champs League loot out of the ugly sisters hands, then I'm all for it.

We're 12 clear with a good goal diff - who is going to overturn that? Answer - no one. Get on the Happy Train folks. These kind of seasons don't come along too often, don't let it pass you by.

Or have some forgot how to be happy with Hearts?

We're 12 clear with a good goal diff - who is going to overturn that? Answer - no one. Get on the Happy Train folks. These kind of seasons don't come along too often, don't let it pass you by.

Or have some forgot how to be happy with Hearts?

Robbo, it's because Hearts fans are scarred, mate. Not just from 1986, but all the near misses after that too. But what people forget is while there's no margin for error if we're chasing the title, there's quite a big one if we're just looking to close off 3rd place. We made quite heavy weather of securing it two years ago, for example, but still ended up 6 points clear; and this season, I'm don't think 4th will get more than 57 points.

Meaning we're almost there already. Dundee United might make us nervous for a time, and might conceivably close to 6 points back or something; but it'd take a collapse of Hibs 2009/10 proportions for us to blow it. We can enjoy the rest of the season, and seal 3rd spot with plenty to spare. :thumbsup:

Poor losses to Killie and Motherwell. A draw with ICT when on another day we would have pummelled them. Nobody else has looked capable of matching us - in fact, they only look capable of taking points of each other which is to our huge benefit. Arguably the best team outwith the top 3 is Aberdeen and they are miles back.

For once, 3rd will be a stoll.

RoussetsShorts

how many more points do we need?

The average for 3rd place is 56 mate so another 9 will be more than enough. Remember once the split comes its very unlikely the teams in 4th, 5th and 6th will get many points as the OF will be close and none of them should beat us at Tynecastle by that stage of the season.

I'm hoping we have 3rd tied up by the split then maybe we can play a load of younger players in the split matches and give them a chance - or what i'd love to see is us play 4 2 4 against both the OF, just for once have a real go at them home or away!!

Archived