Robbo was a great player

Zerothehero

Sounds a bit obvious but he's always remembered for his goals. Looking back at a lot of the old videos, his link up play, dribbling, passing and crossing were all also brilliant. He really was a fantastic footballer and happened to also be a lethal finisher.

We're never going to have anyone that good again up front. Feel very lucky to have been around to see him. :D

yeah, i don`t think his general game is overlooked, he`s just remembered more for his goals.

He came up against many a bruiser in his time but easily held his own, he was strong and had the guts with his back to defenders to hold the ball up while waiting on the crunching tackle coming in.

Clever player.

Robbo = LEGEND

As someone who has seen Willie Bauld, Jimmy Wardaugh, Dave MacKay, Alex Young, Willie Hamilton etc., Robbo is right up there with them - he is a legend!

I wonder how many goals he might have scored playing in the that 50's team?

Top class player.

Clever, strong, skillful and oozed class.

To young to be able to compare with the Baulds and Walkers or any of others mentioned as Hearts legends but, by a country mile, the best player I ever saw in a Hearts strip.

Hearts Heritage

That goal against Rangers in the school end to become our all time leading scorer was world class.

He is our all time League scorer.

our all time leading scorer

is still Willie Bauld (Competitive games) or Jimmy Wardhaugh(all games).

Robbo is the best I've seen in Maroon but I wouldn't have him in an all time starting XI. No disrespect to Robbo but a mark of respect to all the greats at Tynecastle.

heartgarfunkel

Superb player, Beardsley-esque as he got older, as previously said, his link up play, off the ball movement and awareness were fantastic. His low number of caps for Scotland still annoys the **** out me.

The words great and genius are overused these days but they really do apply to the wee man. Lethal finisher, read the game superbly, knew what runs to make and had fantastic positional sense. He belonged to a rare breed born with a gift but worked hard at it as well instead of wasting his talent as a lot do. You always got the impression he would score and he did more often than not. A pleasure to watch and a decent bloke to boot. Legend.

alwaysthereinspirit

If Robbo (perish the thought) had played for one of the OF he'd have a 100 caps. No doubts about it.

For me his greatest goal was against Dundee Hobos at Tanadice in '86 when he scored from 20 yards out. Also can never forget his goals against the vermin and also his goal to become Hearts' top scorer of all time :thumbsup:

Archived